Builds A pig for Father's Day (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Air cleaner restoration. We’re all waiting to see you take that bull by the horns!

I'll try to pace myself. :p

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement.

You own a PIG and you are contemplating the best way to divide up your $5000’ish budget while throwing around words like “restoration”.

You my friend have jumped directly into the deep end with the rest of us and “sanity” left the party a long time ago. Embrace your new normal and drop sanity from your vocabulary, it's just going to confuse the issue here.

I can't disagree with you. I see people use the restoration word far too often when they have little idea what it really means. I do have a complete pig, inside and out. It is mechanically sound and drives well. The frame is solid. The body has typical pig cancer but I don't think it's incurable; given enough time and money.

There are many signs that insanity has definitely crept into the picture. I find myself buying anything NOS 55 related.....just in case....at what most sane people would consider to be ridiculous prices. Case in point, NOS tailgate handle I just opened today. Absolute thing of beauty!

8CCA15A3-646A-4B68-9503-15FA031587E9.jpeg

0E48285E-96B3-4B50-9C89-8308CB2596EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought a steering wheel off eBay a few months ago. It wasn’t advertised as NOS but it looks as good as new. Also bought an OEM turn signal switch as the tip of my stalk was damaged.

So how do I get the center cap off? I tried prying near the button but chickened out. The center of the center cap came off fairly easy and I tried a pick in those two holes but didn’t pull too hard. I just don’t want to break anything.

1BE1C431-CDAB-4C0D-AECB-0D880E95F872.jpeg

661BC91F-CB2E-4E79-9350-F85BCB7A4C6F.jpeg

"There are many signs that insanity has definitely crept into the picture. I find myself buying anything NOS 55 related.....just in case....at what most sane people would consider to be ridiculous prices. Case in point, NOS tailgate handle I just opened today. Absolute thing of beauty!"

As we used to say in my (much) younger drag racing days, "Cubic dollars always wins." And "If it don't go, chrome it."

Put it on and off twice. Forgot the dielectric grease the first time. Also difficult to decide the “center” when you have a bit of play in the steering. It does feel good to have a smooth steering wheel though.

Indicator switch was a bit more involved than I assumed but not too bad. Just have to drop the column moulding and the steering column support.

848F5AEB-6858-4083-99E1-255CE1142DB3.jpeg

I have an old 55 windshield gasket ( with moulding option) to use as a pattern. Here’s a cross section photo. I bought an FJ60 w/moulding gasket on a whim to see if it would work. My assessment is maybe. I would probably need a glass guy to tell me.

I also bought a rear window gasket for a 1979 C10 Chevy pickup as there’s a thread on here where it was used for the cargo baskets. They have a w/moulding option for that pickup which I purchased but it appears the moulding groove is too narrow. However, the profile is different enough from the 55 that it gives me some hope that the 60 gasket could be made to work. The 80 windshield gaskets are double glue in. You glue the windshield to the gasket and then glue the gasket to the body after it installed. That method would probably prevent leaks.

A4C0EE40-6AC3-4675-8D79-313F8247F657.jpeg

F82DDFDD-F273-42C2-90F3-57E7547BC6F1.jpeg

I just read the FSM procedure for the 55 windshield install. I was incorrect; the gasket is glued to the body just like an 80 series after the assembly is installed. The windshield isn't glued to the gasket however.

I bought more or less one of every weatherstripping Slocruisers had in stock last week except for the back door glass weatherstrip. Either a NOS or a nice reproduction one came with my pig.

I’m going through the parts diagrams and building a spreadsheet of all the rubber I need. It’s a very long list as most of you already know. Thankfully I think all of my light related gaskets are all reusable.

Of course windshield and cargo windows remains the most challenging.

ECD9ABE3-5C5E-4E75-B479-72CB17102F5A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom