Builds A pig for Father's Day (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happy New Year WDE! How’s everything in your corner of the world?

All is well; thanks. Spent New Years in Edinburgh with the family. Headed back to the desert tomorrow.

Been in the US almost two weeks. ”Sheltering in place” in our condo on the beach. Not the worse place to be stuck until international flights start back up.

Have had a bit of time to tinker with the pig and my 80 that I just got back from my son. Finally bought him a vehicle (manual trans, 4 door Tacoma). Been buying “just in case” parts for the 80 as well as getting some normal maintenance done on both.

Managed to get the new 60 series, 55 amp alternator installed on the pig. @FJ60Cam does a great job rebuilding these.

E909E2ED-CD80-4BA7-B798-2CC0E3E8970C.jpeg

I assume many of these 55s were sold with A/C (dealer installed or otherwise) and no power steering? What would the belt configuration look like? I assume just like the one for both (below) but with a shorter belt and no PS pump? A bit confusing because if that's the case then my configuration was flipped when the AC was installed. I can only find diagrams for with both or without both.

belts_2F2-big.jpg

belts_2F-big.jpg

Went back through this thread in the Classified from 2015. For Sale - 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55

Alternator was definitely on top prior to the AC compressor going in. Kinda wish it hadn't been desmogged; really prefer this look.

1977-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ55-For-Sale-IMG_7681.jpg

Been in the US almost two weeks. ”Sheltering in place” in our condo on the beach. Not the worse place to be stuck until international flights start back up.

Have had a bit of time to tinker with the pig and my 80 that I just got back from my son. Finally bought him a vehicle (manual trans, 4 door Tacoma). Been buying “just in case” parts for the 80 as well as getting some normal maintenance done on both.

Managed to get the new 60 series, 55 amp alternator installed on the pig. @FJ60Cam does a great job rebuilding these.

View attachment 2243901

55 Amps for a 55!

I assume many of these 55s were sold with A/C (dealer installed or otherwise) and no power steering? What would the belt configuration look like? I assume just like the one for both (below) but with a shorter belt and no PS pump? A bit confusing because if that's the case then my configuration was flipped when the AC was installed. I can only find diagrams for with both or without both.

View attachment 2244019

View attachment 2244020

You want the alternator belt pictured on bottom, maybe the AC belt pictured up top. Nice that they are independent.
If all else fails, do you have the originals? Just go into the NAPA and ask them for replacements. They can cross the #s, or just measure what you took off.

You want the alternator belt pictured on bottom, maybe the AC belt pictured up top. Nice that they are independent.
If all else fails, do you have the originals? Just go into the NAPA and ask them for replacements. They can cross the #s, or just measure what you took off.

Never mind the diagrams, now I get what you are asking since your alternator moved.
Just get new belts for what is on there.

Are you karate kid - wax on, wax off?

Lipstick on your Pig! Perfect...

You're days late. Wife and daughter already made that joke...... :p

Never mind the diagrams, now I get what you are asking since your alternator moved.
Just get new belts for what is on there.

Belts are more or less new. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with maintenance. The question arose as I was thinking about small things I can be doing right now. For example, my air cleaner assembly is solid but has lots of surface rust. It's ugly and bugs me every time I open the hood. So I bought a new Air Cleaner sticker and a new hose and clamps; was considering pulling it for paint or powder coating and realized that the tubing clips were still attached (but of course all the smog related tubing has been removed). That lead to lots of ruminating about the future restoration of this pig and just how far I would like to take said restoration. So do I remove all clips, retainers, etc. from the smog equipment or do I think about reinstalling everything (which I have in boxes)? Of course if you're going to reinstall the smog pump then the AC and Alternator need to be oriented properly. Part of me would really like to bring this pig back to OEM condition but there's a small bit of sanity left somewhere in my brain that is raising alarm bells.

but there's a small bit of sanity left somewhere in my brain that is raising alarm bells.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement.

You own a PIG and you are contemplating the best way to divide up your $5000’ish budget while throwing around words like “restoration”.

You my friend have jumped directly into the deep end with the rest of us and “sanity” left the party a long time ago. Embrace your new normal and drop sanity from your vocabulary, it's just going to confuse the issue here.

You my friend have jumped directly into the deep end with the rest of us and “sanity” left the party a long time ago. Embrace your new normal and drop sanity from your vocabulary, it's just going to confuse the issue here.

Excellent! Great way of putting it!

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement.

Embrace your new normal and drop sanity from your vocabulary, it's just going to confuse the issue here.

Hate this saying ( NEW NORMAL!) been hearing it for years 🤣🤕. If it was NORMAL I wouldn't be like this 🤣😆😉. Insanity, confusion, embrace , PIG are all good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom