Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And of course there is Buddy. Being winter he likes to stand in the shop with his rear end warm and front end outside to see what's going on
20191230_201557.jpg

Also, an indirect benefit for Chunk is a new tool.
20191228_092031.jpg

I have gotten so tired (pun intended) of the running around to change tires and it is getting more costly. I seem to always need tires swapped around just to see how they look or to get rollers on a parts truck, this will help a ton. I just have a cheap bubble balancer but I will wait for a proven need to get fancier there. Now I can order tires right to the shop, free shipping, and mount up.

Looking forward to the convenience.

Any progress is progress. Looks great Pat. At times we kill ourselves to show leaps and bounds in our builds. Slow and steady wins the race in my book. Enjoying the steps and doing it right is where it’s at for me. Teaching my boys the mantra of getting it done well has a default speed governor on my projects. We will get there. I like what I see Pat. Solid.

Here's a question for anyone that may have experience with this. Will the front belts out my parts truck work for second row shoulder belts in Chunk? It looks like a yes at first glance. If so, I was thinking of sending them off to Seatbelt Planet.

20200105_161240.jpg

Any progress is progress. Looks great Pat. At times we kill ourselves to show leaps and bounds in our builds. Slow and steady wins the race in my book. Enjoying the steps and doing it right is where it’s at for me. Teaching my boys the mantra of getting it done well has a default speed governor on my projects. We will get there. I like what I see Pat. Solid.
Thanks man. It will get done.
Looking forward to a visit. Gotta see that awesome 45!

Here's a question for anyone that may have experience with this. Will the front belts out my parts truck work for second row shoulder belts in Chunk? It looks like a yes at first glance. If so, I was thinking of sending them off to Seatbelt Planet.

I’ve never thought of this. It’s a great idea.

The front belt does click into the rear belt receiver.

Pat I’m jealous I’ve been looking at used tire machines lately myself. In a lot of places it’s 25 bucks a tire to mount which balloons to a 125 for each of my rigs. I’ve seen a lot of used machines for about a grand. Mind sharing what you gave for yours?

Pat I’m jealous I’ve been looking at used tire machines lately myself. In a lot of places it’s 25 bucks a tire to mount which balloons to a 125 for each of my rigs. I’ve seen a lot of used machines for about a grand. Mind sharing what you gave for yours?

Same. $25 for a mount and balance. Doesn’t matter if it’s for a trailer or implement, they still charge the $25. I bet I spend a couple hundred bucks a year on mounting tires.

A used machine here is about $800-2k depending on condition. Most seem to work on 110v and an air line.

I installed a set of front FJ62 belts into the rear of my 60. I had to open the pocket in the pillar to bolt in the retractor. My 60 is an '86 and was missing the upper nut in the pillar so fishing one up on each side was fun. Short answer front belts will work in the rear.

I bought this one. It was $1350 with free delivery to my shop. It has the air blaster that pops the tire on the bead. It is super nice. I honestly thought it would be a cheap thing but was very pleasantly surprised. Within 5 minutes of my online order they told me there was a terrible snow storm in NH that day but were hoping to still ship, which they did. After looking at a bunch of broken down old style changers, I am super glad I got this one.

Same. $25 for a mount and balance. Doesn’t matter if it’s for a trailer or implement, they still charge the $25. I bet I spend a couple hundred bucks a year on mounting tires.

A used machine here is about $800-2k depending on condition. Most seem to work on 110v and an air line.
That's it, air and 110v. It is so quick and easy to change tires it is amazing.
This will be for personal stuff and to keep my gearhead employees happy with their own junker projects- they love it. I don't want to go down that liability road for customer work beyond that. I bought wheel weights and valve stems on Amazon.
I think I will have it paid for in hard dollars inside of 3 years and once figuring in time saved less than two.

I installed a set of front FJ62 belts into the rear of my 60. I had to open the pocket in the pillar to bolt in the retractor. My 60 is an '86 and was missing the upper nut in the pillar so fishing one up on each side was fun. Short answer front belts will work in the rear.
Awesome! Thanks Jim. It sure looked like it. I welded in the upper bolts when doing the body work and figured on opening the lower holes.

New project on the list!

Another big item on this changer is the ability to do tires 14" wide and 40" diameter. Never know if I will have a cruiser on 37's some day :)

I had been searching for an early style ARB bumper for Chunk because I like the look of them. After a long time of nothing I got a call from @Ian Crawford . about the one on his 60. He warned me it needed some love but the price was right and we made a deal. My buddy Pete (who went on the original Chunk fetch with me) did the meet up/pick up for me in Louisville and brought it back to Michigan for me on his work-road travels.
I had blasted it a while back to see what I had and as I was forewarned, it had some creative patchwork going on. Just the outer wings are rusted out so I had a buddy cut some patches for me after some bar napkin blueprints. I didn't want to wait for bending so I had him stitch cut the patches and I scored them and hand bent them. I have a bunch of welding and finishing anyway so a little more is fine. The lemonade out of this lemon is the new wings are made out of 3/16" steel, way thicker than the originals. There is a long way to go but I have a few pics of where it is now.
20200106_151231.jpg
20200106_151117.jpg

The patch panel
20200107_150801.jpg
20200107_152544.jpg

A bit more fitting and then I will fab the curved end.
20200107_155321.jpg
20200107_155345.jpg

I am taking all the dimensions from the other side. When the first new side is done I'll hack the other end off and repeat. The old piece has seen better days!
20200107_155406.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom