Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. I've built about a dozen drivelines at home now with good success. Some have had some vibration at 50-60mph but others have been good up to 70-80. I have a lathe now so I can bore/turn yokes and tube to fit together perfectly but before I would just measure the OEM driveshaft tubes and find a DOM size that sleeved over nicely. There's usually a normal DOM size that will.

You're part-time now so your front driveshaft can really be anything. My front driveshaft is 2.5" Sch 80 pipe (.200" wall), I bored the ends to accept Toyota yokes.
I want to run in 4H through the desert at 40-50mph - I think a front shaft is easy to source there

Ok, hammersaurus is on its shoes. Looking good. Rear end is fairly high but a bumper and spare and stuff will sink it down a little.

JrwOIOq.jpg

KpWGkeS.jpg

So the 3-link was a pretty big pain but I've got all the brackets welded up now. Getting the upper link near the exhaust (I have to keep cats to keep it street legal) was pretty bad and the link height isn't adjustable unless you want to remove the driver's side cat each time. Oh and WTH Toyota with these motor mounts being so low and tied into ABSOLUTELY EVERY OTHER BRACKET. Nothing is a standalone piece, it's all one big monolith of crap. So in addition to plating the frame (I am stealing everyone else's idea there) I also ran a tubular crossmember between the frame rails where the panhard bar/steering box will be. I like how they did that on the 80.

9SuqZTr.jpg

oZZr7MK.jpg
Clam shell adidas, total classics, having flashbacks to my glory days in high school. Awesome rig!!

Looks badass @nukegoat . So... how many times did pull a tape to make sure it'd fit through the garage door?

I built a CJ a few years ago. Measured, built, measured, built... it ended up rubbing the weather strip. I didn't mean to get that close!

Looks badass @nukegoat . So... how many times did pull a tape to make sure it'd fit through the garage door?

I built a CJ a few years ago. Measured, built, measured, built... it ended up rubbing the weather strip. I didn't mean to get that close!
May have to let air out of tires

I wish there was a palletized kit you could sell me to do this to my LX. What a glorious build! Keep up the photos. They make us all pine for a big tire SAS 100 series! Awesome work! What are you using for cutting/forming your metal? are you having your metal breaking done at a shop or in your garage?

I wish there was a palletized kit you could sell me to do this to my LX. What a glorious build! Keep up the photos. They make us all pine for a big tire SAS 100 series! Awesome work! What are you using for cutting/forming your metal? are you having your metal breaking done at a shop or in your garage?
Thanks. Unfortunately you have to cut off a lot of metal that was part of the IFS to get the solid axle under there. Then a lot of sheet metal on the body, etc. Those aren't "bolt-on" solutions, though it would be awesome if they were.

For forming metal, I don't have many tools. Angle grinder, 12-ton harbor freight press with a swag press brake kit thing, and a lot of welding.

Copy that. I saw your shock hoop and thought that 1/4" might be a little thick to bend at home.
Oh, yeah. I have a tube bender and notcher too. Forgot about that.

Truck looks good!

What is your front link separation at the axle/frame, and how long are your lowers? Did you bend the upper to clear the motor mount? Did you relocate the oil filter? Front spring rates?

I'm building a 3 linked 02 with a diamond 9.5, planning on building a new motor mount for the passenger side to gain 2" of uptravel. Possibly moving the motor up while i'm at it. I'm only running 37's and about a 3.5" lift height.

Truck looks good!

What is your front link separation at the axle/frame, and how long are your lowers? Did you bend the upper to clear the motor mount? Did you relocate the oil filter? Front spring rates?

I'm building a 3 linked 02 with a diamond 9.5, planning on building a new motor mount for the passenger side to gain 2" of uptravel. Possibly moving the motor up while i'm at it. I'm only running 37's and about a 3.5" lift height.
I don't have those numbers on hand but I did bend the upper link to clear the motor mount. Youre spot on with that. Oil filter stays. 200/250. It's a bit soft, but I like more preload anyway.

I don't have those numbers on hand but I did bend the upper link to clear the motor mount. Youre spot on with that. Oil filter stays. 200/250. It's a bit soft, but I like more preload anyway.

These frame brackets SUCK!

Keep it up man, hammer season is almost here.

These frame brackets SUCK!

Keep it up man, hammer season is almost here.
Yeah, it's not some simple shape either. Toyota made the weirdest "thing" to hold the engine on.

Just ordered driveshafts from a somewhat sketchy (name withheld for now) shop. FIngers crossed.

Still waiting on driveshafts, so I got the following things done in the meantime:

1) Ran e-brake cables. Had to make a bunch of random custom little bits and bobs to make it work. I am hoping the fresh shoes aren't very grippy but will improve over time. With the tire in the air, I have to yank pretty hard on the lever to get it to grab at all...

2) Got my windshield washer bottle set up again. I bought some cheapie bottle on amazon and drilled 7/8" holes in it for the two pumps and a 1.125" hole for the fluid level sensor. Weird flex but ok

3) Ordered a 4x4labs rear bumper kit, a "tesla style" headunit for google earth (thanks @Ell Ex) and OBD2 stuff.

4) Started to mock a front bumper.

5) Skid plates are going to suck to get right. May just sacrifice ground clearance for durability. Not my preference but oh well.

I can't wait to see this thing when you have it done. Also, I like your new avitar

"sacrifice ground clearance" on a 100 series with a 10" lift on 42's - lol...

Amazing work by the way, really do look forward to each of your progress posts.

Cheers!
rjones
Thanks! "Lift" amount is probably more like 6" or so. The tires make it seem taller

What's gonna be the 0-60 on this thing once it's finished?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom