Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice film choice. For real though, is the screen glare-y in the sun or what?

Even in indirect sun, yeah. Its pretty terrible, IMO. I don't know if any anti-glare filter will fix it, either.

Tint the windows darker?

Showed this to my kids. Told them it looked like a toy car. 8 year old girl said “no, maybe if it was smaller it would look like a toy car.”

3 year old boy said “that’s amazing.”
Your kids. I like these kids.

My kids: "Uncle's Jeep is better I think"

Are you running the stock power steering pump? I am, and I'm wondering how strong the pump is. My 100 has a heavier steering feel than my 80.

I've been sorta wanting to build a P/S pressure tester to check it out, but it works well enough that I'm not very motivated to do it. :D Then again, I'm only turning 35's.

I noticed on at least one of their SAS jobs, Slee converted to a TC pump. There may be a reason for that....

This is awesome, sub'd. I also noticed you have Night View....I'm glad otherwise this would be a waste of effort on a junkyard LX!

(See I'm picking it up ;))

Are you running the stock power steering pump? I am, and I'm wondering how strong the pump is. My 100 has a heavier steering feel than my 80.

I've been sorta wanting to build a P/S pressure tester to check it out, but it works well enough that I'm not very motivated to do it. :D Then again, I'm only turning 35's.

I noticed on at least one of their SAS jobs, Slee converted to a TC pump. There may be a reason for that....
Stock PS pump. The stock steering (with VGRS) was quite strong.

He can't. He lives in CA and they've outlawed fun and freedom.

Everyone runs dark in cali..

they target people who have suspicious older vehicles running 5% and windshield...

your average looking car with 15%-20% tints all the way around except windshield won't be a problem.. in past 10 years only pulled over once and was due to another violation that he cited me for tints as well.

time for a CBR pump. enough talk of touchscreens and window tint in this thread

time for a CBR pump. enough talk of touchscreens and window tint in this thread
I'll touch your screen if you don't watch out

I wish I could mount one in the OEM location

This. Every 100 series with an 80 box I have seen has had similar issues. The pump doesn't produce enough volume for an 80 box, definitely not enough for hydro assist. One of the first guys to do the swap used a PSC TC pump, cured all of his problems.

This. Every 100 series with an 80 box I have seen has had similar issues. The pump doesn't produce enough volume for an 80 box, definitely not enough for hydro assist. One of the first guys to do the swap used a PSC TC pump, cured all of his problems.
But the pump is rated for higher pressure than the 80. You'd think with small steering inputs it would work fine and falter under other circumstances.

Other data point - vgrs was used to speed up the lock to lock steering, so I kinda doubt the overall force the pump produces in adequate.

Would love to see some data points beyond slee

But the pump is rated for higher pressure than the 80. You'd think with small steering inputs it would work fine and falter under other circumstances.

Other data point - vgrs was used to speed up the lock to lock steering, so I kinda doubt the overall force the pump produces in adequate.

Would love to see some data points beyond slee

You definitely could have a problem with the box too.

What did your caster end up at?

If you search "project 180" that's the guys build i'm referring to. I don't think it was in his build thread, but he did a bit of research on my his steering was god awful and ended up with a TC pump. He didn't have hydro assist. I might go for a CBR pump on mine, but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

You definitely could have a problem with the box too.

What did your caster end up at?

If you search "project 180" that's the guys build i'm referring to. I don't think it was in his build thread, but he did a bit of research on my his steering was god awful and ended up with a TC pump. He didn't have hydro assist. I might go for a CBR pump on mine, but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Yeah I'm using a box I rebuilt myself (the 5th time I've rebuilt an 80 box) but I had never run it on my rig prior to this, so it may have a screwy spool valve or something.

Wouldn't this bolt up? Same mounting pattern it looks like. Yea yeah, I know, trail gear.

Yeah I'm using a box I rebuilt myself (the 5th time I've rebuilt an 80 box) but I had never run it on my rig prior to this, so it may have a screwy spool valve or something.

Wouldn't this bolt up? Same mounting pattern it looks like. Yea yeah, I know, trail gear.

If your caster is somewhere around 4-6 degrees positive and it still doesn't want to return to center at all, its probably the box. If its just moving really slow, likely just a lack of volume.

Might try cruising the neighborhood in 1st gear around 3500rpm and see if the steering feels different with a bit more volume from the pump. Listen for pump cavitation when turning. Or if you don't mind wasting some fluid, disconnect and plug your ram lines at the box.

One of my mini trucks felt terrible on a stock pump, worked fine on slow turns but when I was turning quickly I would run out of volume and the steering would feel like it was locking up. Switching to a PSC TC pump got rid of that. That was a 1.5" bore ram/taco pump/mini box combo.

Haven't heard anything bad about that trail jizz pump, but it looks like any other TC pump to me. Trail jizz is well known for exaggerated and unproven specs. I believe the PSC TC is cheaper, but does not come with a pulley.

So the steering reservoir is still puking all over the place. Weird. At any rate, I got the @4x4labs bumper welded up for the rear today. Been doing a lot of travel for work so haven't had a lot of free time.

I dunno, but the quality seems worse compared to my 80 series bumper. The slots for the d ring mounts were plasma'd normal to the surface, prior to bending, so I had to file the openings to get them to go in straight. The shell and wings didn't fit up that great despite hours of trying to align it. The plasma cut holes for the bolts looked like someone eyeballed the whole thing. And the hitch receiver was too long. The cross bar was too short and wouldn't sit between the two wings, etc.

Anyway, after a lot of screwing around with it, I got it to work but it wasn't the same delightful experience I remembered with the 80. The finished product looks fine and I am sure will hold up for a long time. I wish it didn't stick out so far but I assume that's for compatibility with the swingouts.

Oh, also they dimple died the wings, but dimpled them outward so the dimples will grab rocks rather than slide. Uhh...

Also discovered my front hubs were installed dry. This is why I don't trust anyone to do a job right.

Last edited:
Still using the VGRS steering shaft? Don't know if i would feel confident that it wouldn't unlock under the potentially higher forces you might be seeing. You can swap out your VGRS with a standard LC upper and lower shaft, the only difference being a slight larger hole in the firewall than what will be needed for the LC parts. Might give you better piece of mind knowing there was a solid connection between the steering wheel and steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom