Alu Cab Gen 3 Expedition RTT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really considering one of these, any updated feedback? I am almost 6’4”, wondering how tight it will be. Not much wiggle room.
I would guess that you are too tall for the JB tent. I'm 6' and just fit..... unless you get the huge XL version

Tried contacting Alu-Cab directly and Ok4wd to ask about these. Neither has replied.

I’m sorry to inform everyone of this but we will no longer be carrying Alu-Cab products and they will not have a Pacific Northwest dealer.

We have opted to focus our efforts on James Baroud and I would suggest anyone in the market to strongly consider James Baroud for a number of reasons.

Sincerely,
Tom Hession-Herzog
Owner, Adventure Ready LLC

We have opted to focus our efforts on James Baroud and I would suggest anyone in the market to strongly consider James Baroud for a number of reasons.

What are the reasons relating to Alu-Cab?

I’m not going to get negative on anyone or anything on a forum, suffice to say it’s just not something we are comfortable continuing to support. We were literally the second company to carry Alu-Cab in the US and things we originally chalked up to growing pains for a new rapidly growing brand continued to persist. We are a carefully curated shop and will not carry brands we do not personally feel 110% confident in using ourselves in any situation or condition.

That is a disappointment. I am not a big fan of JB, maybe I will start looking at the Eezi-Awn now.

That is a disappointment. I am not a big fan of JB, maybe I will start looking at the Eezi-Awn now.

Can I ask what your objections are with James Baroud?

I hope that links works. This is a little video I made from a camping trip I did about 2 months ago to the outer banks of NC. We ended up getting caught in a nor-easter and camped in 35-50 MPH hard driving rain all night long. Sorry for the camera work, it was my iPhone and the light inside my tent wasn't charged so I had a light hanging from the bungee rack on the ceiling.

What I noticed is that I had my truck/tent 90 degrees from the oncoming storm, so the wind and rain were directly on the side door. The leaks I experienced were through the zippers and that stupid velcro bottom. The wind was blowing so hard that it kept separating the velcro. No where else in the tent leaked. Hind-sight I should of pointed the tent into the storm and I would of been fine, but that was hard to do in the middle of the night with the awning out and other items out, so I just rode the storm out.

I was very impressed with how it handled the wind and rain.

JB: please replace that stupid velcro bottom closure with a zipper or something else!!!

I hope that links works. This is a little video I made from a camping trip I did about 2 months ago to the outer banks of NC. We ended up getting caught in a nor-easter and camped in 35-50 MPH hard driving rain all night long. Sorry for the camera work, it was my iPhone and the light inside my tent wasn't charged so I had a light hanging from the bungee rack on the ceiling.

What I noticed is that I had my truck/tent 90 degrees from the oncoming storm, so the wind and rain were directly on the side door. The leaks I experienced were through the zippers and that stupid velcro bottom. The wind was blowing so hard that it kept separating the velcro. No where else in the tent leaked. Hind-sight I should of pointed the tent into the storm and I would of been fine, but that was hard to do in the middle of the night with the awning out and other items out, so I just rode the storm out.

JB: please replace that stupid velcro bottom closure with a zipper or something else!!!
That would be a tough decision! I remember you mentioning this before, some other thread, I think. Yeah, that velcro would be aggravating to deal with. I think if I ever replace my CVT, it'll be a JB. Hope they fix it by then!

Could you email me directly at the shop so I can see if we can do something about this? It shouldn't be an issue as that velcro is an industrial type.

FYI the velcro is used so that you don't have to climb over a zippered lip when getting in and out of the tent and it's not something we actually have seen issues with in the past. But we're always open to feedback!

Could you email me directly at the shop so I can see if we can do something about this? It shouldn't be an issue as that velcro is an industrial type.

FYI the velcro is used so that you don't have to climb over a zippered lip when getting in and out of the tent and it's not something we actually have seen issues with in the past. But we're always open to feedback!

Well, I probably should be dealing with Rin and those guys since that's who I purchased it from. Honestly, the wind was so strong it was separating the velcro! Normally I think that velcro is strong, but I guess 50MPH winds were just too much for it.

I will also add that I believe I had one of the first JB's sold here. So this thing has had some usage.

Well, I probably should be dealing with Rin and those guys since that's who I purchased it from. Honestly, the wind was so strong it was separating the velcro! Normally I think that velcro is strong, but I guess 50MPH winds were just too much for it.

I will also add that I believe I had one of the first JB's sold here. So this thing has had some usage.

Fair enough man!

I bought a AluCab gen 3 and it leaked on me big time. While closed. Couldn't handle the 80mph rain on the freeway. I got a brand new replacement tent which is now for sale in Portland. Let me know if anyone wants it!

I bought a AluCab gen 3 and it leaked on me big time. While closed. Couldn't handle the 80mph rain on the freeway. I got a brand new replacement tent which is now for sale in Portland. Let me know if anyone wants it!
I trade you for three chickens and a milkshake!

This is the second season for mine. No water issues with mine even when driving in pouring rain back from Colorado in September of last year for hours 4+. Nothing inside.

Love it.. Sorry to hear about the issues so of you guys have experienced.

One thing is that I do not use the ladder that comes with the tent as its too short. I use an extend and climb. I know of some issues where the ladder was getting pushed up on the front lip and then closing the tent raised the front/levered the front enough to allow some water in while driving. So, if you are using the ladder, make sure its not pushed to the front of the tent..... Hope that might help someone.

Cheers -

John

Do you still have the alu-cab for sale?

I'm interested in this conversation. I know it's old at this point but I would like to seed some conversation...

Would love a roof top tent with:
1. Ability to have maxtraxxs, bikes, hi lift, shovel, awning, and other things attached to the side and top as needed for different types of trips.
2. Comfortable sleeping space for 2 adults (5'-11" and 5'4")
3. Easiest possible set up and take down (probably no softshell) as this will be on top of the truck and I hate the idea of crawling all over the hood, doors, etc. I want simple simple simple...
4. Want to keep things low profile. Ideally remove the OEM side rails/cross bars and then just install the tent to the top. Can I fit in a 8' garage with a 2" lift?

The alucab expedition 3 looks like a clear winner to me but I'm wondering a few things.

1. Is it too small to sleep two people comfortably? Either too short or too narrow?
2. Are there still problems with water ingress? Is the ladder going to be revamped at some point? Seems like a chore to buy a 4k roof top tent and then spend more money on a topping mattress and a new ladder.
3. Can you really install the tent directly to the roof tracks with some finagling with hardware?

I'm interested in this conversation. I know it's old at this point but I would like to seed some conversation...

Would love a roof top tent with:
1. Ability to have maxtraxxs, bikes, hi lift, shovel, awning, and other things attached to the side and top as needed for different types of trips.
2. Comfortable sleeping space for 2 adults (5'-11" and 5'4")
3. Easiest possible set up and take down (probably no softshell) as this will be on top of the truck and I hate the idea of crawling all over the hood, doors, etc. I want simple simple simple...
4. Want to keep things low profile. Ideally remove the OEM side rails/cross bars and then just install the tent to the top. Can I fit in a 8' garage with a 2" lift?

The alucab expedition 3 looks like a clear winner to me but I'm wondering a few things.

1. Is it too small to sleep two people comfortably? Either too short or too narrow?
2. Are there still problems with water ingress?
Check out the gofastcampers and the roof nest falcon. I ended up going with the roof nest falcon but I haven't received it yet I didn't find any confirmation that the rain entrainment problems were fixed with the alu cab. Which caused me to look elsewhere

Check out the gofastcampers and the roof nest falcon. I ended up going with the roof nest falcon but I haven't received it yet I didn't find any confirmation that the rain entrainment problems were fixed with the alu cab. Which caused me to look elsewhere
That Falcon looks great. 9 more days to buy and save on it too. The side rails and optional top rack rails make it just about as appealing as the alu cab. Do you think it is going to be able to mount to your existing rails instead of needing to keep factory rails and crossbars? Do you have a roof rack? I'm also wondering if with its super thin profile if you can keep bedding in there...

The go fast also look great albeit they seem to be new to the game and $500 shipping is a little bit nuts... I do have some value embedded in companies who have been doing this stuff for 20+ years... But with that said, I think the design is super well thought out, simple, robust, and could be an incredible addition to the rig.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom