RTT + Awning clearance issues. Looking for suggestions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaimethelimey

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey everyone. Joined the Landcruiser (80 series) family back in June and having a great time turning her into a capable overlanding vehicle.
I'm currently running a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with a Wraptor 270 awning which has a pretty large bracket. Now I'm looking into RTT's and
trying to anticipate fitment issues with the shell making contact when opened. A clamshell style tent is on the table but I'd rather not use up my entire roof rack if possible.
Anyone here successfully running a large awning with a side-open style RTT?
My pick would probably be an iKamper Skycamp Mini for its weight or 23Zero Armadillo A/X 2 for the gear mounts on the shell.
Appreciate any input you all have. Cheers.

You haven't said if you're camping solo or not but JIC, have you seen this:

Thule says "The Foothill provides sleeping accommodations for two adults", but after owning a hard shell, real estate is tight, (which sizewize I would classify this RTT,) in case you haven't experienced one yet.

You haven't said if you're camping solo or not but JIC, have you seen this:

Thule says "The Foothill provides sleeping accommodations for two adults", but after owning a hard shell, real estate is tight, (which sizewize I would classify this RTT,) in case you haven't experienced one yet.
Typically solo but I like a little room which is why I'm looking at the mini and a/x2. Currently using a Gazelle T4 which is way too big for just me. That Thule RTT looks pretty rad but I think I'm set on a hard shell.

Typically solo but I like a little room which is why I'm looking at the mini and a/x2. Currently using a Gazelle T4 which is way too big for just me. That Thule RTT looks pretty rad but I think I'm set on a hard shell.
Yes, the longevity of the hard shell is hard to beat. The CVT I had required minimal upkeep maintenance and bedding was kept in it even closed up. Also, setup and take down being so much quicker and easier than the soft side fold ups. Sun light on the tent fabric and straps was the only wear and tear, but I was always gentle with the zippers. I ran the Alu Cab Shadow 270* awning and had no clearance or fitment issues between RTT and awning. Access to RTT was on opposite side of rig from awning which, when raining, was inconvenient and one reason I moved to a trailer. I only mentioned the Thule because it sounded like you were looking for room on your rack. You'll really enjoy the RTT experience when moving from a ground tent.

Last edited:
It should not be a problem to make that work. I’ve made many large awnings work with the ikamper on my Pioneer without having to offset the tent. What size Pioneer Platform do you have? The Wraptor is very similar to the 23zero in the first picture here. I even think they use the same mounting bracket. At the shop I work at we do this stuff all the time. We also sell both brands you’re interested in. Let me know if you want more info. 👍🏻

FF97EE91-9787-4201-88D3-3F684B18A23A.jpeg
9BC350A1-3A64-4A68-94AF-8BA0A924D374.jpeg

It should not be a problem to make that work. I’ve made many large awnings work with the ikamper on my Pioneer without having to offset the tent. What size Pioneer Platform do you have? The Wraptor is very similar to the 23zero in the first picture here. I even think they use the same mounting bracket. At the shop I work at we do this stuff all the time. We also sell both brands you’re interested in. Let me know if you want more info. 👍🏻
That's good to hear. I'm running the 84"x56" on their backbone with a Wraptor 6k. Specs for the Skycamp mini are 54.75" wide closed and they tell me it comes 5" away from the hinge opened, but can't really give me more data like at what point, angle, etc. I have a little room to move the awning bracket away from the rack but would prefer not to if possible for clearance.
Is the iKamper in your pic mounted right to the standard rack (I've read you can do this with the 5 slat) or are you running the optional crossbars?
Cheers.

I’m not sure I fully understand the OP’s question. There should be no issue fitting a RTT and awning on the rack. Surely there can be some minor interface issues with various designs but tent placement should solve those. I run an Eezi-Awn 1800 series 3 (cal-king) along with a Kinsmen 270° awning with no issues. Yes my RTT is offset a little to the side it opens. But that is just as much for its operation as it is clearance for the awning.

The 1800 is large enough for our family of 3 to be comfortable. It’s downright luxurious for me solo. I also have the shower room I can mount below it but generally only do that when it’s on the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom