Alu Cab Gen 3 Expedition RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Guys, I was wondering why you haven't considered the Alu-cab that extends on all four corners with the electric lift.

It may cost another $3000 for all the engineering and parts.

I wouldn't worry about sleeping too much on the Dusy trail.
with all the breakage that normally happens, you'll be wrenching thru the night and won't get to use the fancy bed.

and the Grand Raid line from JB has a huge area on the roof for packing things. I put my solar panels there and chairs and a few duffles.
it'll hold a solid 50 pounds in the upright position.

I have the XXL version, and it has overhang, but it's a huuge mattress. This ALUcab thing looks like you'll be sleeping solo.

I wouldn't worry about sleeping too much on the Dusy trail.
with all the breakage that normally happens, you'll be wrenching thru the night and won't get to use the fancy bed.

It's not that bad, but it's no place for a roof top tent. Rick gets away with it because of his tent slider. But @PabloVTA , you're going this year right?

Hey Guys, I was wondering why you haven't considered the Alu-cab that extends on all four corners with the electric lift.

Not available in the US due to fitment on US-Spec vehicles (from what I've been told). However, there are some very interesting things coming later in 2017...

Not available in the US due to fitment on US-Spec vehicles (from what I've been told). However, there are some very interesting things coming later in 2017...

Hmm, such as?? I'm wanting a new RTT, and been eyeballing the alu-cab for a while. Especially since i have their awning.

I have an Alu-Cab Expedition RTT Gen 3 and love it. First I must say that my tent leaked (I live in Oregon) but with no questions asked Alu-Cab replaced it! We spent a total of 25 nights in our original tent and soon will spend two weeks in the replacement tent. It's extremely easy to set up and take down; really just a few minutes max. It's very comfortable for me although my wife thinks the mattress is too firm but a mattress cover fixed that. It's plenty roomy for two and has plenty of head room. The tent has USB and lights along with built in storage for clothes. The ladder is well designed and easy to use; footing feels solid (even in the middle of the night). The ability to put another rack on top is a fantastic feature! It is beefy but it looks distinct and rugged; it's always a conversation starter! We've been in heavy winds and it's solid and I believe it will handle pretty much anything that we may encounter. In the West, Tom at Adventure Ready in Seattle is the man to see.

I like the looks of the Alu-Cab, but I really like the Bundutec. I wish the Bundutec had a manual crank (they may have, but I haven't seen one). I really like the hard shell concept of having a solid overhead roof, but I've never been a fan of fiberglass. If they made a Maggiolina type with an aluminum shell it would be awesome.

I look for lightweight, easy to set up, and durable. Imagine one made out of the same material as a military GP tent or even a heavy duty treated canvas, with aluminum top and bottom shell, with a manual crank up. No frills, no electronics, etc.

What's the best/lowest clearance way to mount the Alu-cab?

I have not seen this tent in person, so my opinion is based solely on Youtube videos and other write-ups.

From what i can see, first off, i hate weight on the roof. My James Baroud is already heavy up there, but this thing weighs more. Second, it appears to sit up off the roof a little high. I'm not sure if there is a way to lower it down or not, but that's just what i noticed. My last opinion of it is that it doesn't appear to have as much foot room as my JB since it also extends upward at your feet area. So those are my perceived negatives of it.

The positives i see is that it looks rock solid and looks like it will set up and take down really easily. Also, it being made of aluminum no issues with fiberglass cracking or gel coats failing. Also i see having things (bikes, skies, snowboards) mounted to the top of it look legit.

I wish i can see it in person. Down here in fl. Wonder whats the nearest dealer?

What's the best/lowest clearance way to mount the Alu-cab?
Here's a decent shot of @DanMedeiros and his Alucab for reference. Mounted on two Rhino Rack HD crossbars.
IMG_4985.JPG

Hi guys. New here :). Does anyone know if Ali-Cab are going to make a Icarus roof top for the defender 90 ? Personally it's not going to be used as a tent as such but I would like the headroom to stand up in my 90.......
all the research iv done (very little) I can only see 110 alucab conversions

I have not seen this tent in person, so my opinion is based solely on Youtube videos and other write-ups.

From what i can see, first off, i hate weight on the roof. My James Baroud is already heavy up there, but this thing weighs more. Second, it appears to sit up off the roof a little high. I'm not sure if there is a way to lower it down or not, but that's just what i noticed. My last opinion of it is that it doesn't appear to have as much foot room as my JB since it also extends upward at your feet area. So those are my perceived negatives of it.

The positives i see is that it looks rock solid and looks like it will set up and take down really easily. Also, it being made of aluminum no issues with fiberglass cracking or gel coats failing. Also i see having things (bikes, skies, snowboards) mounted to the top of it look legit.

The Alu-Cab tent is actually lower profile than the James Baroud, by about 2" (height)

I wish i can see it in person. Down here in fl. Wonder whats the nearest dealer?

Unfortunately that's going to be the guys at OK4WD all the way up in New Jersey...

Hi guys. New here :). Does anyone know if Ali-Cab are going to make a Icarus roof top for the defender 90 ? Personally it's not going to be used as a tent as such but I would like the headroom to stand up in my 90.......
all the research iv done (very little) I can only see 110 alucab conversions

Unfortunately it won't happen, sorry. The roof is not long enough to have a sleeping platform.

I have an Alu-Cab Expedition RTT Gen 3 and love it. First I must say that my tent leaked (I live in Oregon) but with no questions asked Alu-Cab replaced it! We spent a total of 25 nights in our original tent and soon will spend two weeks in the replacement tent. It's extremely easy to set up and take down; really just a few minutes max. It's very comfortable for me although my wife thinks the mattress is too firm but a mattress cover fixed that. It's plenty roomy for two and has plenty of head room. The tent has USB and lights along with built in storage for clothes. The ladder is well designed and easy to use; footing feels solid (even in the middle of the night). The ability to put another rack on top is a fantastic feature! It is beefy but it looks distinct and rugged; it's always a conversation starter! We've been in heavy winds and it's solid and I believe it will handle pretty much anything that we may encounter. In the West, Tom at Adventure Ready in Seattle is the man to see.
Hey Bob- I'm interested in how the Alu-Cab has held up since your post. I was also looking at a Baroud but have read too many issues with the struts and fiberglass to take a chance...I'm also in the PNW so rain is a real concern obviously. I'm hoping @Adventure Ready will be doing a Group Buy either on here or TW, seemingly enough people kicking the tires like me!
Thanks!

Hey Bob- I'm interested in how the Alu-Cab has held up since your post. I was also looking at a Baroud but have read too many issues with the struts and fiberglass to take a chance...I'm also in the PNW so rain is a real concern obviously. I'm hoping @Adventure Ready will be doing a Group Buy either on here or TW, seemingly enough people kicking the tires like me!
Thanks!
Been going back and forth on the Alu-Cab and the James Baroud.

aluminum shell vs 270 degree views

Really considering one of these, any updated feedback? I am almost 6’4”, wondering how tight it will be. Not much wiggle room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom