Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting really close to stripped down enough to take Chunk to the powder coat shop to work on the bigger body work spots and assure panel alignment, then pop off the body with a fork lift.
Gotta organize and clean up too!
20181018_203527.jpg
20181018_203734.jpg

Last edited:
It dawns on me that I probably didn't tell you that the previous (to me)owner had
installed big, heavy 6x9 speakers in those rear interior panels without utilizing
any other supplemental supports and that those speaker covers were hiding
the fact that I had taken those speakers out so they would stop popping the
panels off.

Sorry about that...it totally slipped my mind.

It dawns on me that I probably didn't tell you that the previous (to me)owner had
installed big, heavy 6x9 speakers in those rear interior panels without utilizing
any other supplemental supports and that those speaker covers were hiding
the fact that I had taken those speakers out so they would stop popping the
panels off.

Sorry about that...it totally slipped my mind.
No worries man, all good. I love the truck. It's old and is ready for a redo but everything I would want in a solid project base.

I am thinking of making side panels for it in the rear. The same doors I can get for the gate can be had smaller for side access. Those mounted in like a rigid plastic/polymer side panel in matching color would be awesome. Maybe make storage/washer access on one side and subwoofer box, inverter, power center on the other.
Thinking.....

Olive with the stripes all they way.

Project is looking good.

Thanks! It's a tough one because I love white Cruisers. That slightly off white is perfect imo. But I gotta say when I stumbled on that yellow-olive color I dug it.

Was thinking about the idea of new rear side panels and found this marine board. It is 1/4" thick, very rigid but machines and cuts well, scratch resistant, textured. I hope the grey is dark enough but worth a shot I think. I will make templates off of the back factory panels.
Screenshot_20181019-191240_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181019-191833_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 1813754

I enjoy very much when I get to use tools that belonged to my dad and my 2 grandfathers. This one belonged to Walter Walsh, my harsh talking Irish grandfather. He was and is one of my most favorite people ever. Tough as hell and rough talking but truly a soft hearted fun lover who would help anyone. He was a "bump shop" man at Pontiac Motors before and after WW2. I don't have many of his old tools, but I got a few. This window crank clip remover of his makes me happy every time I use it.
20181019_194059.jpg

So JT, I believe you are right. No leak on the windshield, must be the drip rail gutter. We'll fix it up!

Every small screwdriver and punch I had, plus some 20D nails popped out the windshield. Was a bit rough with it because I am using the glasss out of the parts truck. Came out easy.
20181019_213028.jpg
20181019_212631.jpg

I've been looking at my latch supplier's website. I might keep flip out rear windows on the "maybe list". Material for rear panels ordered. I also found a sub box that might integrate well into it. 8" sub should be ok.

Gotta keep the inspirational music loud.

Headliner coming down!
20181019_222722.jpg

I might see about getting the headliner dry cleaned. The bows come out easy after pulling the plastic end caps.

Anyone dealt with this?

I might see about getting the headliner dry cleaned. The bows come out easy after pulling the plastic end caps.

Anyone dealt with this?
I’ve reused one Pat. Cleaned it myself though vs. Using the cleaners. Will dig up my pics on that job for you.

D5B893F8-193B-47A4-B4A5-1336053E6988.jpeg
I’ve reused one Pat. Cleaned it myself though vs. Using the cleaners. Will dig up my pics on that job for you.
so I soaked it with oxy clean. Scrubbed it with a nylon brush then power washed it. I’d say it’s now a 9 out of 10. I’m assuming yours is cloth.

View attachment 1813987 so I soaked it with oxy clean. Scrubbed it with a nylon brush then power washed it. I’d say it’s now a 9 out of 10. I’m assuming yours is cloth.

That looks great. Yes, it is cloth. Kind of like a velour kind of finish. I didn't know if scrubbing would hurt it, but I guess not. It is dirty but looks very saveable.

That looks great. Yes, it is cloth. Kind of like a velour kind of finish. I didn't know if scrubbing would hurt it, but I guess not. It is dirty but looks very saveable.
Pat, I thought the same thing but if you look at the back side (if i recall) you'll see it's actually a vinyl type material so it does not stretch or get out of shape. I would not recommend nailing it with the power washer but I do hit it from about 12-18" away. Also, I did mine on a slope so the water and soap would run downhill. hope this helps.

Pat, I thought the same thing but if you look at the back side (if i recall) you'll see it's actually a vinyl type material so it does not stretch or get out of shape. I would not recommend nailing it with the power washer but I do hit it from about 12-18" away. Also, I did mine on a slope so the water and soap would run downhill. hope this helps.

Very much. Thanks!

So JT, I believe you are right. No leak on the windshield, must be the drip rail gutter. We'll fix it up!

Every small screwdriver and punch I had, plus some 20D nails popped out the windshield. Was a bit rough with it because I am using the glasss out of the parts truck. Came out easy.
View attachment 1813822 View attachment 1813823

That is GREAT news! I was praying that wasn't going to be all rusty up there in that corner.
But I was pretty sure it was the drip rail....since sealing up that corner didn't effect the
leak at all. Now the next cross-your-fingers moment is the driver floor board.

That is GREAT news! I was praying that wasn't going to be all rusty up there in that corner.
But I was pretty sure it was the drip rail....since sealing up that corner didn't effect the
leak at all. Now the next cross-your-fingers moment is the driver floor board.

Haha. Hopefully find out today on the floorboard, If I get enough work done to reward myself with some Chunk time.

I'll take a floorboard fix over windshield frame fix any day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom