Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And......

The floor pans in front are perfect!
20181021_103505.jpg
20181021_103512.jpg

Hey JT, I found a CD case with a bunch of CD's in it. If you want themsent to you, give a shout and I will send them.

So many times you find tunes from a PO and they are totally different taste from yours.

I think you and I are dang near dead on with bands we like! Good stuff.

Well, first off....GREAT NEWS on the floorboards up front. They got wet due to that leak more than a few times...
Guess we have the Desert Southwest to thank for no damage :)

On the CDs, use them and enjoy them to your heart's content, some are too damaged to play.

What's in there? QOTSA? Luscious Jackson? Any Willie Nelson? Zappa? Steve Miller Band?

Well, first off....GREAT NEWS on the floorboards up front. They got wet due to that leak more than a few times...
Guess we have the Desert Southwest to thank for no damage :)

On the CDs, use them and enjoy them to your heart's content, some are too damaged to play.

What's in there? QOTSA? Luscious Jackson? Any Willie Nelson? Zappa? Steve Miller Band?

QOTSA (my fav), Foo Fighters, Beck, AIC,
Police, Rodrigo y Gabriella, Steve Miller...

My 13 and 15 year old are back to vinyl. Going through the Motown greats and the below sea level greats from New Orleans. :cool:

That Rodrigo y Gabriella is really good if you haven't listened to them...

Maybe not "rustless floor pans in an 87 FJ60" good, but pretty damn good. ;)

Oh I love em. Amazing story and music.

Buddy still wanted to hang out in Chunk while I was working away.
20181021_105136.jpg

Dark crappy picture but had to celebrate getting Chunk on the trailer to go to my powder coat shop for the next stage. The interior is out, windows, and nearly all the trim. Gonna pull the rocker and cut out the rust spots on the quarters then lift off the body. The body is either going on a cart or possibly a rotisserie. I have an old one I made long ago but not sure it is heavy duty enough. Even if I could roll Chunk on his side it would be a huge help. Kinda simultaneously the chassis will get s work over/detail as well.

Also I am getting a new engine stand make for the 12ht (and future stuff). The one I have just worries me too much. This one getting made at my buddy's welding shop is a monster! Hope to have pictures in a day or so.
20181022_204321.jpg

Anyone have an educated guess on what a gutted 60 body weighs with door shells on? I'm guesstimating 800-900 pounds.

Last edited:
I know it's probably redundant, but dang...you are really getting after it!

It's such a weird, dichotomous feeling to both be sad that it's no longer mine,
but ecstatic that Chunk is finally getting the level of attention he deserves.

This is his reward for serving me so "unwantingly" for so long...he finally
gets his trip to the Doctor. :)

Don't know about "Doctor", "Quack" maybe:)

I was going to have one of my friends who has a welding shop beef up my engine stand to put the 12h-t on and he said the other day that he was just going to build one. It got dropped off today. Very heavy duty, 2x6 3/8" tube, and the swivel head uses a hub and bearings from a stock car full float setup. There are 5 adjustable positions for rotating it. The entire stand head slides off easy so it can be bolted to the block then put on the stand. I had a set of heavy duty 5" casters here so we used those. I still have to order grade 8 fasteners for it and do a nice powder coat job on it too. Looks like it will work great. We'll see.
20181023_150114.jpg
20181023_150129.jpg
20181023_150000.jpg

Looks stout to be sure...do the legs extend far enough?

That's the only thing I am not so sure about. I know it will be stable, but it might put too much weight forward and make it hard to move. I might talk to my friend about extending them forward. The 12h-t would extend beyond the front by about 9" the way it is. Would be nice if it came all the way out even. I intend to see a lot of Toyota 6 cylinder engines on this one.

I started working on Chunk at my shop this afternoon. Since I don't own a stud welder/dent puller (yet) I improvised. I went after the rocker panel dent to get it out close to proper so I could then replace the face of it with the new piece that came with Chunk. I used my welder to buzz on some 5/16" bolts, then made a puller head with a nut and washer. I used one of the forklifts to pull on the studs and worked the dent out. I tore the rocker up pretty good but that's all good because I just needed it all dimensionally nice to replace the face part. Good progress.
20181023_161647.jpg
20181023_162541.jpg
20181023_165719.jpg

Also got a little "inspection hole" cutting done. Might blast those tomorrow and see where to go from there. Not bad really.
20181023_182437.jpg
20181023_182429.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom