Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony I'd go for the wide nose. After all you are going for a V8 and the wide nose is appropriate for that. The extra room would be beneficial in my view. The 13BT and dual batteries in my BJ74 fill that engine compartment up side-to-side.

By the way. If anybody should be upset about your plans it would seem a museum curator ought to be horrified.

I think it ROCKS :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Tony I'd go for the wide nose. After all you are going for a V8 and the wide nose is appropriate for that. The extra room would be beneficial in my view. The 13BT and dual batteries in my BJ74 fill that engine compartment up side-to-side.

By the way. If anybody should be upset about your plans it would seem a museum curator ought to be horrified.

I think it ROCKS :grinpimp:

The extra space is something I've definitely thought of. The L92 is pretty narrow for a V8 but any way to avoid busted knuckles is always welcome. Plus room for extra stuff like batteries and electrics.

It just comes down to final cost to get it done whether it's worth it for me to swap out the wide nose.

Thanks Dan!

I have a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE with a 440 Magnum in it. I have never been able to get through a full sparkplug change without getting wounded. Space is your friend:)

I've been mulling this over lately and I'm not totally sure.

If I end up going with the '07+ nose I'd like to find a way to make an ARB fit. I personally think they look perfect on the wide nose 70. But the 80 vs 70 frame width and mounting is the big question mark. If I stay with the original front-end, no idea. I think the ARB front only looks 'ok' on the narrow 70 front. Not that aesthetics are the most important thing but I don't want it to look weird. If the 70 frame widths/mounts are not the same as the 80, then probably nothing off the shelf will just bolt up unless an 80 front just happens to clear the body and not look wonky as the bars are definitely different vs the 70 ARB bumper. So... I'm not sure yet. Worst case, I can drive over to Redding and have Jason build a custom front.

For the rear, side and underside I'll probably just have Jason build something.

What are you doing with yours?

I'm always game for your builds T. We'll just block a week out a build everything as a one off custom. IT GOES MUCH FASTER THAT WAY!

J

I'm always game for your builds T. We'll just block a week out a build everything as a one off custom. IT GOES MUCH FASTER THAT WAY!

J

Sounds good, I can just take a week off from work then. Maybe I can get some MIG time in on something besides my garbage Lincoln 140.

-----

As for the build. I spent a couple hours working on the L92 today. No pics, totally forgot, just imagine a dirty V8 hanging from a engine hoist.

Looks like it had an oil leak somewhere. It has the common used truck LS issue with the 2nd half of the engine covered in old oil. I changed the front/rear cover seals and valve cover gaskets. I need to get a crank pulley tool to change the front crank seal. I have a new oil pan and gasket ready to go in but the dumbasses at the junk yard didn't drain the oil. They also broke several sensors and snapped a couple exhaust manifold bolts in the head. Those guys hosed me over. I should have bought an L92 from ebay I was considering. Oh well. I'll try the trick of welding a nut on the snapped manifold bolt. Hopefully my cheap Lincoln can get a good bead on there. I HATE drilling snapped studs. I have new ARPs to go in.

Also, to help fix any leaks, I ordered up new valley cover gasket and intake gaskets. Hopefully all those new gaskets will fix any oil leaks.

Hoping to get the 80 and engine/trans delivered to Ian around the first week of July.

Last edited:
When you change out the exhaust manifold bolts think about using studs in 2 or 3 of the holes, you will thank yourself later.

Pulled the intake, changed the valley cover gasket and started cleaning. Valley cover bolts were definitely under-torqued which I'm sure contributed to the oily grossness. No post cleaning pic, forgot. But it looks significantly better. Going to throw the intake in the parts washer at work and get the injectors reflowed.

mpID6wH.jpg

More boring engine work. Swapped the oil pan, almost put on intake before I noticed I ordered the wrong gasket, and got the snapped exhaust studs out.

Still dirty.

Ob6Vxmk.jpg

Four of these snapped bastards

NRlhR5x.jpg

Built up a nipple with some flux core.

ruq2fJW.jpg

Forget to drop your mask and blind yourself for 30 seconds...

Weld on a fastener with your s***ty Lincoln 140 (I had a ton of these wing nuts so I used them)

HPXsars.jpg

Twist the whore out and move to the next one.

asZHSdb.jpg

Boring engine stuff continues. Everything gets torqued to spec, I'm a torque stickler.

I'm driving up to Boise on Friday to drop everything off.

Pulled the front cover to swap the front seals. I think the front cover crank seal was leaking or at least contributed to the oil leaks. Everything looks good behind the cover.

rJvOEnN.jpg

Bolted the accessories and intake on. A gang of new gaskets, water pump, alternator rebuilt, new tensioner pulleys, new P/S pump, new DBW throttle body. I'm keeping the fan clutch and fan uninstalled for ease of moving. The only thing that isn't new is the A/C compressor. Still need to press on the p/s pulley and install the new crank pulley bolt once it arrives. The LS crank pulley bolt is one time use since it's torqued to yield. Also, waiting on one replacement injector as one of them came back out of spec (electrically) when I had them cleaned/flowed. (yes, I'm working out of a storage unit, all my stuff is in storage in preparation for me deploying in the next couple of weeks)

1irQ6zW.jpg

Last edited:
400+hp/tq of American goodness loaded up and ready to go (along with rubbermaid containers of various parts). Hopefully the 80 makes it. There's a very creepy knocking sound coming from the front floorboard whenever I brake or accelerate, everything looks ok under there though. It probably needs a radiator cap since the coolant is boiling, still runs fine and there's no soup in the oil so I assume the HG is ok. It's been doing that since I bought it though, so that's not a concern. It drove for 11+ hours like that from Burbank and daily driving for almost a month so hopefully it'll make 5 hours up to Boise. Gieco roadside assistance might come in handy. :cool: Hopefully it s***s the bed somewhere near a uHaul joint so I can load it up and continue on. Or the wheel will fall off on I15 and I'll die a horrendous death. Either way.

rdS2rqb.jpg

@TonyP it got a bath, already looking better!

IMG_7201.JPG

More pics coming.

By the way folks this truck is an ex-OAS truck so it had diplomatic plates on it in the past.

Cheers

A Trail Tailor gift to @TonyP to christen the troopy. I hope I got the insignia correct and proportioned right. One of the tougher things I've had to reverse design off a pdf pic.

Tire accessory bracket for fire extinguisher, Powertank, propane, RotoPax, etc.. or pretty much anything else you could bolt on to it. Prototype finished up today to check fit on a 33"

Still gathering a few bolting patterns.

Cheers brother and stay safe!

Jason

upload_2018-7-8_20-30-0.png

IMG_20180708_083136822.jpg
IMG_20180708_085520461.jpg
IMG_20180708_085651810.jpg
IMG_20180708_085703812.jpg

Last edited:
A Trail Tailor gift to @TonyP to christen the troopy. I hope I got the insignia correct and proportioned right. One of the tougher things I've had to reverse design off a pdf pic.

Tire accessory bracket for fire extinguisher, Powertank, propane, RotoPax, etc.. or pretty much else you could bolt on to it. Prototype finished up today to check fit on a 33"

Still gathering a few bolting patterns.

Cheers brother and stay safe!

Jason

View attachment 1740193

View attachment 1740195 View attachment 1740196 View attachment 1740198 View attachment 1740200

Hell yeah, looks killer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom