Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony's Troopy with my 92 Prado, buddies safe and secure.

with Prado.jpg

With Prado1.jpg

Tony has 50 or more pics of the Troopy all cleaned up, I will let him post the pics of it he wants.

Cheers

Here are some detailed pics after the clean up. There's some rust, but overall it's what I expected for a 24.5 year old ex-NGO/Diplomat/Workhorse 70 series. Considering the price we snagged it for and what parts we can sell and what parts we'll actually be using, I think we made out pretty well with this Troopy. It'll be better than new when we're done. Far better actually since we're using the 80 chassis and an enormous V8. I keep telling myself I don't want to do a nut/bolt restoration but I get a few whiskeys in me, head over to PartSouq, and start ordering s*** like crazy. I've already ordered a stupid amount of parts. Including a damn windshield, thank Makers Mark for that purchase.

Either way, I'm happy with it. It's going to be phenomenal when it's 'done' (is any project ever done?)

The only bummer being, the other day I got a phone call saying I might be headed to Korea in March. So I'll return from the middle east around Jan, then get ready to leave again for a year. It's all hearsay right now as I haven't gotten an official notification but we'll see. I'll try and push my departure date back to April if I can so I can at least get to drive the damn Troopy before I leave.

The Good; it's definitely a Troopy:

ZtfXzwJ.jpg

4deI6tl.jpg

gaAjK3T.jpg

Party bus
NSPTCnS.jpg

asgu0ub.jpg

QkOYgPB.jpg

HMaPM7R.jpg

The OK:

Already ordered everything to spruce the dash back up. Basically everything you see is getting replaced except the dash shell. I might try to snag a gauge cluster with a tach too. Parts for these things are dirt cheap;
jbvDBNf.jpg

The parts that need work:

The rear crossmember is toast (already ordered one).

d8uQOOl.jpg

9I88718.jpg

The floors look ok, a couple patches will probably be needed but overall pretty solid. I think most of the 'rust' is just scale surface type. After we blast the shell, if it's just scale, we'll roll on some POR15 and call it good.

qceA3wc.jpg

TmQ2B0F.jpg

jBBeq9T.jpg

If this roof spot is bad after blasting the body, I'll just chop the roof and get an Alu-Cab.

ONOINJW.jpg

Last edited:
I have been really busy but I got a lot of the goodies Tony has ordered. I will crack open some boxes soon and show off the OEM parts.

I was surprised how affordable the OEM windshield was and also how cheap it was to ship. It came packaged amazingly well and has no damage from the trip halfway around the world.

Cheers

Looks good! Just an FYI, the windshield is (was) a US available part from my local dealer as of last year... and it wasn't insanely priced either. After trying to order one online, and it arriving broken, I wouldn't personally risk shipping a windshield again myself.

Looks good! Just an FYI, the windshield is (was) a US available part from my local dealer as of last year... and it wasn't insanely priced either. After trying to order one online, and it arriving broken, I wouldn't personally risk shipping a windshield again myself.

After I placed the ordered I realized a lot windshields are cross referenced and they aren't anything that special. Oh well, it really cost a lot less than I expected when I woke up in a hangover haze and saw the invoice. Especially coming from UAE or Singapore or whereever the hell PartSouq ships from.

All that said, PartSouq is damn awesome. They ship insanely fast. I can't comment on the accuracy of the orders as everything has been sent directly to Ian but their customer service and delivery have been top notch.

Amayama, has been hit or miss (mostly miss).

MegaZip, the jury is still out. I ordered a new rear crossmember to replace that rusted out one. The order is still 'in work' so we'll see.

@TonyP I eye-humped this troopy at nowthwest Overland Rally all weekend and thought of you. Super cool to see one in person.

4jwsVw0.jpg
I passed this truck on the way up Steven's pass that Sunday. It was going about 40. Steven's pass is not steep. Good call on the v8.

This is gonna be sick, Tony! I know what you mean about ordering new parts, I can't help myself and I have to replace all the nuts and bolts, and before I know it my project car is disassembled. haha. Let's go wheeling when you get it running and get back to Utah

Rad. Good work T (and team T).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom