Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the L92 in a Yukon Denali, and the engine is brilliant with a fantastic exhaust note too. I've never been a diesel fan personally, and in fact I absolutely hate trail riding around with old Toyota diesels. They stink, they're loud, and they're slow as sh*t especially once we get on the pavement. Sure they may be more efficient, but a torquey V8 with tons of horsepower that doesn't stink like hell or have cold weather issues is far better in my book. Especially in the US where you have big stretches of highway in between destinations, a simple high horsepower V8 rules.

Man, it’s funny seeing all the naysayers here. It’s a “build thread”...not a “tell me what to build thread.” :meh:

Tony has to follow orders in the Air Force....
...but this ain’t the Air Force (thank gawd). :hillbilly: Tony does his own thang and I can say from personal experience...the dude knows what he’s doing.

Anyway... Build it Tony!!! :steer:
Sub’d and watching...with a big delay for deployment. :beer::cheers:

Build on brotha. I like the Toyota diesel's, especially the 1HD-FT/E variants. I had one in an 80, but man, in N. America, that's a lot of coin to spend on an engine that would be more difficult to service. You did a bang up job on your 200. I'm sure this Troopy is going to be equally drool worthy. Check out this build thread from a buddy of mine in Joburg Land Cruiser Club - Southern Africa • Login. He's got arguably the nicest Troopy in Africa. Sub'd and watching!

What’s your plan for front bumper? Are you thinking of using an 80 series bumper or modifiing a 70 series to fit the 80 frame horns?

What’s your plan for front bumper? Are you thinking of using an 80 series bumper or modifiing a 70 series to fit the 80 frame horns?

I've been mulling this over lately and I'm not totally sure.

If I end up going with the '07+ nose I'd like to find a way to make an ARB fit. I personally think they look perfect on the wide nose 70. But the 80 vs 70 frame width and mounting is the big question mark. If I stay with the original front-end, no idea. I think the ARB front only looks 'ok' on the narrow 70 front. Not that aesthetics are the most important thing but I don't want it to look weird. If the 70 frame widths/mounts are not the same as the 80, then probably nothing off the shelf will just bolt up unless an 80 front just happens to clear the body and not look wonky as the bars are definitely different vs the 70 ARB bumper. So... I'm not sure yet. Worst case, I can drive over to Redding and have Jason build a custom front.

For the rear, side and underside I'll probably just have Jason build something.

What are you doing with yours?

Last edited:
So like this and possibly a similar color too but I'm considering Line-X as I will get sick of buffing out pin-stripes. But with adult tires (35s at least)

IMG_0273.jpg
I know you don't give a s*** about my opinion but I was debating your choice of a 70 vs picking up a 60/62 (or sourcing a 45) but the above photo changed my mind. And frankly even if I wasn't into your particular vision I still sub'd because I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Here's to wishing I had less children and more $ to do something like this.

I know you don't give a s*** about my opinion but I was debating your choice of a 70 vs picking up a 60/62 (or sourcing a 45) but the above photo changed my mind. And frankly even if I wasn't into your particular vision I still sub'd because I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I think 60s are nice, primarily the 62, but the prices are getting absurd for a decent shell. The price we're getting this 70 for and considering how much we can part out the stuff we're not going to use, the Troopy is probably going to be cheaper than using a 60. Plus, the aftermarket gear market for Troopys (mainly out of SA and Aus) are much stronger than the 60. The 70s have been built for nearly 35 years (almost as old as yours truly), they have 25 years on the 60. And I like bread vans.

But most importantly, I've wanted a Troopy with coils for very long time now.

Build on brotha. I like the Toyota diesel's, especially the 1HD-FT/E variants. I had one in an 80, but man, in N. America, that's a lot of coin to spend on an engine that would be more difficult to service. You did a bang up job on your 200. I'm sure this Troopy is going to be equally drool worthy. Check out this build thread from a buddy of mine in Joburg Land Cruiser Club - Southern Africa • Login. He's got arguably the nicest Troopy in Africa. Sub'd and watching!

Just scrolled through all 89 pages. That dude has some money. Nice rig for sure. I'm definitely stealing a few ideas. It added a few links/pics to my "70 Build" bookmark folder.

Seems like folks from SA love bolting stuff to the side of Troopys. I'll need to do some thinking about that.

I've been mulling this over lately and I'm not totally sure.

If I end up going with the '07+ nose I'd like to find a way to make an ARB fit. I personally think they look perfect on the wide nose 70. But the 80 vs 70 frame width and mounting is the big question mark. If I stay with the original front-end, no idea. I think the ARB front only looks 'ok' on the narrow 70 front. Not that aesthetics are the most important thing but I don't want it to look weird. If the 70 frame widths/mounts are not the same as the 80, then probably nothing off the shelf will just bolt up unless an 80 front just happens to clear the body and not look wonky as the bars are definitely different vs the 70 ARB bumper. So... I'm not sure yet. Worst case, I can drive over to Redding and have Jason build a custom front.

For the rear, side and underside I'll probably just have Jason build something.

What are you doing with yours?
Pretty much same thought as you.

Sub'd. Looking forward to seeing this build!

I've already had 35 years of constant mistakes, why not keep the ball rolling?

Tony, I shared a beer or two with you in Brek, but that one line there says it all. :cheers:

I have had a lot of trucks. From 16" coilivers and 40" rubber to my current stock suspension 28yr old diesel 70 DD and many in between.

I like to Overland myself, long trips. Sometimes deep into Latin America. Baja for a month or two is perfect for me.

I took a super built up 2004 Taco to Panama and back twice. TRD supercharger on it, URD small pulley and 7th injector kit plus much much more. That was going on ten years ago. Man the haters leading up to that trip!

"You are going to kill it man!" "They don't have good fuel down there!" were common statements in my threads leading up to the trip. Guess what!? They were all wrong! Best mpg I ever got in the truck was in Panama from 96 at the pump.

Not picking on you by any means, just quoted you to say....

Having done all that I have done, Tony is building nearly the perfect truck for me and my uses. Only thing better for me would be a pickup cause I would do all my Overland build off a custom bed. But honestly for security in Latin America while Overlanding, the Troopy is better.

Cheers

About an ARB bumper on a wide nose sitting on an 80 series frame. Anybody good enough to get the truck to the point where it is time to put the bumper on should be able to modify it and make it work.:)

About an ARB bumper on a wide nose sitting on an 80 series frame. Anybody good enough to get the truck to the point where it is time to put the bumper on should be able to modify it and make it work.:)

Pretty much.
With a welder and an angle grinder you can make damn near anything work. But the wide nose is definitely a very low priority anyways. As in, bottom of the 'would be nice' list kind of low priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom