GX470 HID Projector Retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Coming over from the 100/LX470 crowd to check the interest in new OEM headlights retrofitted with a Morimoto D2S or Mini H1 Projectors. I've done quite a few LX470 retrofits including a few quad setups.
The GX470 OEM Sport Package headlight which is smoke color is quite a bit cheaper then the standard light so I ordered one to see what it would take to complete a full retrofit. The light output and cutoff is outstanding in the LX lights I've done so I thought I might offer the GX crowd something new.

03DF3EFB-E071-43F6-A943-A38CCCB84E78.jpeg

BE6C4E46-9141-4D31-ACFB-DD98665AA114.jpeg

86968E74-D989-4E1A-A288-B9EF70638047.jpeg

689BB3B2-AD10-4556-A483-E742813E5B9C.jpeg

Any idea on cost? Would you do it on customer supplied lights? Thanks

Scott

I'm working on a set right now...

Definitely better to start with new lights, your used outer lenses can be polished all you want but UV damage can't really be fixed.

I've already got a H11 retrofit kit from XenonDepot, so is this just a new housing?

No, he means new projectors meant for HID. Much better than HID through the OEM projectors. I'm swapping in ones from an RX.

Any idea on cost? Would you do it on customer supplied lights? Thanks

Scott
Not yet, I work at a Lexus dealership so I can buy the lights just over cost and I'm a authorized dealer for Morimoto.. It will come down to labor and what's involved in mounting the projector. I really don't like working with older lights... I ran into a few issues with older LX housing so it's just not worth it. If you're going to spend the money for a true retrofit, new housings is the why to go

No, he means new projectors meant for HID. Much better than HID through the OEM projectors. I'm swapping in ones from an RX.

It's my undestanding the RX projector might bolt right in

Last edited:
I've already got a H11 retrofit kit from XenonDepot, so is this just a new housing?

Installing HID bulbs into halogen projectors is a quick and inexpensive upgrade for the GX but there's no comparison in light output or the sharp cut off you get with HID projectors. I fully understand cost to benefit... so when I purchased my LX I installed a kit similar to the one you used and took it one step farther. Opened up the housing and put a clear lens...replacing the factory lens that comes with slight distortions to defuse the light a bit but there was no comparison to my 80 that was running Depo lights retrofitted with Mini H1. So I spent about 8 months and built a bracket to install Morimoto projectors into the LX.. The links in my signature tell the story.

First picture shows the built in distortion in a fairly new OEM Lexus LED IS250
projector and a few pictures of the D2S projector on one of the brackets. If you’re wondering I use a bit of JB Weld on the mounting nuts so they’ll never loosen overtime

6E1AB202-F1A3-43FD-A2DC-7FE88ABBD559.jpeg

6E656E0F-8EA7-4926-92B8-AF8A4C634633.jpeg

C9567CA3-22FA-41CF-8F2F-3976DAEF1579.jpeg

3A8C252E-33CB-4E58-B30C-61F020031C50.jpeg

Installing HID bulbs into halogen projectors is a quick and inexpensive upgrade for the GX but there's no comparison in light output or the sharp cut off you get with HID projectors. I fully understand cost to benefit... so when I purchased my LX I installed a kit similar to the one you used and took it one step farther. Opened up the housing and put a clear lens...replacing the factory lens that comes with slight distortions to defuse the light a bit but there was no comparison to my 80 that was running Depo lights retrofitted with Mini H1. So I spent about 8 months and built a bracket to install Morimoto projectors into the LX.. The links in my signature tell the story.
Ok, cool. If they don't end up being super expensive, count me in. I need new housings anyway as mine are super yellowed.

Ok, cool. If they don't end up being super expensive, count me in. I need new housings anyway as mine are super yellowed.

Expensive is relative. When it comes to modifying Land Cruiser/ Lexus everything is expensive to some degree. I use my headlights almost everyday so I place a high value on being able to see well at night. My 80 has a full roof rack of led light bars and pods that are used very little but it is a pure joy to hop into either one of my trucks at night and drive with confidence behind pretty sick lights.
The only thing I can safely say at this time regarding pricing is they’ll be more than $1000 in less than $1500..
Until I open up one of the lights and see exactly what I’m dealing with regarding mounting and what projector will actually fit .....the D2S projector is 3 inches in diameter and requires the shroud to be opened up to fit that in the LX470 it may be the same for the GX 470
I’ll build one light and see what’s involved and post up when they’re done. I may need Guinea pig who lives local so I can adjust them properly which means you’ll get a great deal
I live in Fairfax Va

First picture is a low beam output shot of my 80 running Mini H1 with 5000k bulbs and 50w Ballast....

87486CC7-CC93-465B-A91A-F027196CD1D3.jpeg

BB88DD7D-1898-44D4-A3EC-3976689095FB.jpeg

853D6664-E6BB-4E74-8C6D-AE66FC8AAC24.jpeg

Luke, if you need any pics, I still have mine apart. I'm trying to decide if I want to do any custom LED work while I've got them open.

Subscribed. I recall originally asking you about this as an option for the GX when you started on the 470. Look forward to seeing final results.

Expensive is relative. When it comes to modifying Land Cruiser/ Lexus everything is expensive to some degree. I use my headlights almost everyday so I place a high value on being able to see well at night. My 80 has a full roof rack of led light bars and pods that are used very little but it is a pure joy to hop into either one of my trucks at night and drive with confidence behind pretty sick lights.
The only thing I can safely say at this time regarding pricing is they’ll be more than $1000 in less than $1500..
Until I open up one of the lights and see exactly what I’m dealing with regarding mounting and what projector will actually fit .....the D2S projector is 3 inches in diameter and requires the shroud to be opened up to fit that in the LX470 it may be the same for the GX 470
I’ll build one light and see what’s involved and post up when they’re done. I may need Guinea pig who lives local so I can adjust them properly which means you’ll get a great deal
I live in Fairfax Va

First picture is a low beam output shot of my 80 running Mini H1 with 5000k bulbs and 50w Ballast....

View attachment 1698423

View attachment 1698424

View attachment 1698425
I see. Unfortunately you'll have to count me out then. I'm very interested to see the progress you make, but I just don't have that kind of budget right now.

I see. Unfortunately you'll have to count me out then. I'm very interested to see the progress you make, but I just don't have that kind of budget right now.

I understand... Let me get it figured out and if I can come up with a simple quick retrofit and keep the price down. I’m hoping I don’t have to design a bracket because the cost for CAD work and laser cutting samples gets expensive

Curious how much a simple clear lense swap would help? Luke, if you could, post up the lense size for us? I was thinking of sending a set of Depo Sport HLs to Lightwerks or Retrofit Source. Still waiting to see what your outcome is. Definitely a long overdue thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom