Differential Actuator Removal - GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

So I am going to remove and replace the seals on my differential actuator. It is acting up and I suspect it is full of gear oil.

I have seen two methods.

The first method is removing the entire unit all at once. It involves twisting the unit and carefully backing it off the metal shifter.

The second method involves opening up the unit while it is on the differential and removing some internal gears before removing the unit.

Anyone done this? Any advice on which method to use and any tips?

Thanks

I did this. GX 470 Repair Costs from a Toyota Dealership - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx-470-repair-costs-from-a-toyota-dealership.1326578/post-15296447. Ih8ed the idea of the "pull and twist". It breaks things and you may or may not get it put back correctly. Get some paint pens to match mark the position of the gears as you take them out. The video says you need help holding the gears in while you put the cover plate on. I had no trouble at all doing it by myself.
I ended up doing the twist off method. Did not see your reply until after I did it. Funny enough, I did not have an oil leak into the actuator. I guess the actuator might be going out, but appears to work for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom