2004 GX470 Driveability/Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned an 03GX470 for a long time (years). It has around 300k miles. The steering is tight, the suspension is tight. It is totally stock and no replacement of any suspension parts (though I have done ball joints, etc.). But... I bought an 04, and it drives like an old pickup truck. Seriously, the side stripes on the road appear to be suggestions to this car. 150k miles. New Michelins. All front end new or close to new - including rack and pinion. I didn't do the work, and I don't know if it was done correctly. Driveability... First, when I make a semi-hard turn (left and/or right) (high speed and/or slow), the inside rear tire will squeal. Second, it drives straight, but it jumps around. Thirdly, when you hit a bumpy area, it comes unhinged. Vibrates. hard to steer. So... generally, I would look at three areas to diagnose. (1) alignment. to me, it feels like the tires aren't tracking. I think severely out of camber would lead to all of the problems. I'll probably start there. (2) suspension/air-ride - the pump works, and it goes up/down. Doesn't SEEM like anything wrong with the system, but I suppose that the ride could be due to the suspension. (3) problems with the rack/pinion or power steering? Wheel bearing? Brakes? Rear diff? Rear and/or front sway bars? (Note - not a KDSS System). I'll probably do the following: (1) put it up on jack stands and turn the tires; (2) bleed the brakes; (3) listen for any sounds/hesitations on power steering system; (4) check all fluids/levels on trans/gearbox/diff; (5) visual on all bushings/links/etc.; then (6) take it in for a 4x4 alignment and see if there is anything that is way out of whack (camber?). Then, if the problem persists, I suppose I'll replace all sway bar links, and then ultimately swap out the air ride for coil conversion. All that said, if any of all y'all have experienced something close to this "driveability" issue, let me know. I'm also up for ideas.

Some notes:
1. Tires - The tires are at 35psi, and all in balance. They are high quality Michelins and others recommend them for the GX470. Personally, I've stopped buying Michelins from Costco. I think Michelin makes an inferior product particularly for Costco. So, I've been buying the Cooper Discoverer AT 4s (or non 4s for the stronger sidewalls). They're a good all around tire. Tires were my starting point on this issue. I suppose I might swap out the tires from the 03 to the 04 just to confirm, but I think I've ruled out the tires.

2. Rear diff - I only bring this up b/c I once had a limited slip diff on an older car and the diff stopped doing it's thing correctly, and then the tires squealed on all turns by virtue of one tire turning faster than the other. Could this be a rear diff prob for me? I'm not ruling it out, but sure would be happy if one of you told me I should rule it out.

There ya go. Thanks for any thoughts. - Mike

Sounds like you are having a lot of problems. For starters, it's not uncommon for the shocks on these to be blown by 150K. Mine were done at 145K, and that would explain a lot of the uncontrollable behavior after hitting a bump (along with a bad alignment). Other things like worn out bushings, particularly for the steering rack and lower control arms, can also cause a lot of these issues. Frankly, it's not that expensive to basically put an entire new suspension on one of these rigs - including a lift kit, I replaced all 8 UCAs, shocks, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, and tie rod ends for around $3,200 in parts and a weekend in labor.

I'm not sure what could be causing the inside tire squealing - do you get a beep accompanied by the VSC system kicking in? It could be something as simple as needing a new zero point calibration. These rigs don't have a stock limited slip in either the front or rear differential.

I'd suggest taking your rig to a reputable suspension shop and having them give it a look over to see just how bad things are, then deciding what you want to replace. Again if this does end up being a suspension problem, I'd suggest just refreshing everything at once to save on labor.

Sounds like driveshaft/CV/axle noise and the jumping could be the center diff. I have seen trucks with NO oil in the center go for a long time. Lower ball joints and other wear items could also contribute, along with wheel bearings.

Sounds like driveshaft/CV/axle noise and the jumping could be the center diff. I have seen trucks with NO oil in the center go for a long time. Lower ball joints and other wear items could also contribute, along with wheel bearings.
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm taking in to 4x4 shop for 4wd alignment and visual on all suspension components. Like I mentioned, the front end was basically rebuilt (not by me, so...). I will also do full gear oil swap/fill all the way around, all zerks, check wheel bearings, brakes, rotors (I haven't had it apart yet). I'll keep you updated on progress/findings. Ultimately, I figure I'm converting both GX470's to coils, but I don't think that's the problem with the driveability on the 2004. The 2003 has almost 300k miles, is totally stock, and has had no work done on rear suspension, (and I beat it to death regularly), and it drives true and tight. So, at least I have the 2003 to do visual and drive comparisons to the 2004 as I work through this. Again, thank you.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm taking in to 4x4 shop for 4wd alignment and visual on all suspension components. Like I mentioned, the front end was basically rebuilt (not by me, so...). I will also do full gear oil swap/fill all the way around, all zerks, check wheel bearings, brakes, rotors (I haven't had it apart yet). I'll keep you updated on progress/findings. Ultimately, I figure I'm converting both GX470's to coils, but I don't think that's the problem with the driveability on the 2004. The 2003 has almost 300k miles, is totally stock, and has had no work done on rear suspension, (and I beat it to death regularly), and it drives true and tight. So, at least I have the 2003 to do visual and drive comparisons to the 2004 as I work through this. Again, thank you.
FOLLOW UP: Remember problem = jumps around + terrible driver + tires chirp on corners. So, got alignment. During alignment, found that the outer tie rod ends had not been replaced when the rack/pinion was replaced. The tie rod ends were so worn, the tires literally moved left/right individually when off the ground. Test drive, and all is well again. So, that was causing the rear tires to skip/chirp around turns, and causing car to drive like an old 1960 Ford pickup. Still need shocks, but will also be rolling under the front and inspecting all the work that was supposedly done correctly for last owner. Who doesn't replace worn tie rod ends when the entire front end is being replaced???? Enough ranting. Problem solved. I'm super happy. Paid the alignment shop to do the tie rod ends b/c I didn't want to wait any longer (and I was 100 miles from home). Happy it's back to feeling like a GX470. My 2003 with 150k more miles is still a tighter driver. Go figure. Thanks for all your thoughts and assistance.

FOLLOW UP: Remember problem = jumps around + terrible driver + tires chirp on corners. So, got alignment. During alignment, found that the outer tie rod ends had not been replaced when the rack/pinion was replaced. The tie rod ends were so worn, the tires literally moved left/right individually when off the ground. Test drive, and all is well again. So, that was causing the rear tires to skip/chirp around turns, and causing car to drive like an old 1960 Ford pickup. Still need shocks, but will also be rolling under the front and inspecting all the work that was supposedly done correctly for last owner. Who doesn't replace worn tie rod ends when the entire front end is being replaced???? Enough ranting. Problem solved. I'm super happy. Paid the alignment shop to do the tie rod ends b/c I didn't want to wait any longer (and I was 100 miles from home). Happy it's back to feeling like a GX470. My 2003 with 150k more miles is still a tighter driver. Go figure. Thanks for all your thoughts and assistance.
Also, in case you're wondering why it took so long... I first had to find a good shop. Took my 2002 Highlander AWD for alignment at supposedly good local shop. Guy did front end alignment, then told me he didn't need to do back end alignment b/c my highlander has a straight axle in the rear. Uhhh. Noooo. My GX470 was scheduled for the next day. Needless to say, I cancelled the GX470 appointment and ended up at Les Schwab. Couldn't be happier with the Les Schwab service and results (though a bit on the pricier side of life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom