2004 GX470 Non-nav conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy holidays yall!

Newcomer here and I've been following the popular conversion guide that I found through a thread here.

Kind of regretting that I took this on but I'm too deep in the weeds now and need to see it through. It's been a good learning experience though.

I've successfully hooked up the non-nav climate control unit and everything is functioning as it should except the illumination, I want to go ahead and get my glovebox back together and I'll handle everything forward in the center console area as that's all that is left.

I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.

1. Although the climate control connectors do reach the center console, it is a tight fit. Not much slack on them and I can't seem to unravel them anymore, is this expected?

2. Do I "need" these OEM non-nav brackets to mount the non-nav control unit? They are like $30 per side and the climate control units are already priced so high, I guess people know this is a popular conversion and on ebay nearly doubled prices from the $200 the guide estimated.
Example bracket: 86212-60170 Genuine Lexus Bracket, Radio, NO.2 - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-bracket-radio-no-2~86212-60170.html

3. This whole journey started b/c my ML Amp went back and I lost radio sound. Again the ML amps are pretty damn expensive for a 20 year old vehicle. Has anyone replaced this amp with a cheaper aftermarket amp? I'm not married to keeping anything OEM so if there is a viable alternative I would love to know.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning more about this vehicle!

I have a good ML amp I would’ve sold you for $200 if we had compatible year trucks. Also, yes, you could’ve done a Phoenix audio Tesla style screen. I have one in my ML equipped truck.

IMG_7433.jpeg

Hey @BlackCat. would you share which model Phoenix Audio you used? all the AC buttons on the bezel work i assume? Do the on screen buttons for the climate control work??

i bought one of the original Android 6 units from phoenix audio, AC buttons on the bezel worked but the onscreen did not.

the old version android seemed to stop access to the app store and a lot of apps stopped working. so i recently replaced the old android unit with a Kiri-navi android 11 unit. i love everything about it except the onscreen buttons still dont work! I talked with their service, they said i had to use the original factory screen, plug it in, and stash it in the dash behind the new screen. the onscreen buttons then started working but, the audio sources will cycle constantly every 15 seconds. i unplugged the factory screen, the audio sources stopped cycling but the on screen AC buttons wouldnt work again! ive had the dash open for far too long and want to put this to bed once and for all.

I inquired with Phoenix audio, they said their screens work with no problem! would just like to confirm with someone that looks to have a newer one installed and which one the used! ive got an 06 with ML sound.

Hey @BlackCat. would you share which model Phoenix Audio you used? all the AC buttons on the bezel work i assume? Do the on screen buttons for the climate control work??

i bought one of the original Android 6 units from phoenix audio, AC buttons on the bezel worked but the onscreen did not.

the old version android seemed to stop access to the app store and a lot of apps stopped working. so i recently replaced the old android unit with a Kiri-navi android 11 unit. i love everything about it except the onscreen buttons still dont work! I talked with their service, they said i had to use the original factory screen, plug it in, and stash it in the dash behind the new screen. the onscreen buttons then started working but, the audio sources will cycle constantly every 15 seconds. i unplugged the factory screen, the audio sources stopped cycling but the on screen AC buttons wouldnt work again! ive had the dash open for far too long and want to put this to bed once and for all.

I inquired with Phoenix audio, they said their screens work with no problem! would just like to confirm with someone that looks to have a newer one installed and which one the used! ive got an 06 with ML sound.
I’d have to do some digging, it’s been a few years and it’s currently in winter storage. Yes, as far as I remember all the functions work except the clock and the outside temp I believe. I haven’t driven it since October so I’m not too sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom