KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So these units don't come with drawer handles, flip up wing hardware, any finish on wood, or a way to secure to truck?
Just curious.

So these units don't come with drawer handles, flip up wing hardware, any finish on wood, or a way to secure to truck?
Just curious.

If you haven't done so, start from here:
KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage)

The wood in the kit is bare and unfinished.
You specify if you want simple hand hold cutouts or blank drawer fronts (to attach your own handles, locks, etc) .
The wings are fastened to be stationary by default (most folks have customized them to hinge or quick release in some fashion).
The as-built design uses the third row seating floor latch fasteners to secure the drawer frame.
If you have an 80 that did not originally have 3rd row seating, you will have to improvise another method of securing the drawer frame to the vehicle.

Hope that helps!

If you haven't done so, start from here:
KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage)

The wood in the kit is bare and unfinished.
You specify if you want simple hand hold cutouts or blank drawer fronts (to attach your own handles, locks, etc) .
The wings are fastened to be stationary by default (most folks have customized them to hinge or quick release in some fashion).
The as-built design uses the third row seating floor latch fasteners to secure the drawer frame.
If you have an 80 that did not originally have 3rd row seating, you will have to improvise another method of securing the drawer frame to the vehicle.

Hope that helps!
I couldn't have said it better myself @slceso, thank you!

My 80 set arrived today! Box was 100% intact, along with the bands. A little bit of regular shipping scuffs, but nothing more. A quick inspection of the contents, and it seems all is well inside. No dinged corners or surfaces. And easily one of the tightest packing jobs I've ever seen!! A place for everything & everything in its place. Taking some measurements, rounding up some extra hardware & supplies, then tackling it tomorrow.

Time to replace my AO metal drawers with something lighter and simpler. I was going to make them myself as on some previous trucks, butttttttttttt this sure does look easier!!
Subscribed to see when you do another set and also someone message me if you have a change of heart on wanting yours.
Thanks!

I don't mean to gush here, but what a helluva nice kit @cruzerDave ! The precision of the cuts and quality of the hardware are really impressive. There's practically no joint in this thing that relies on a wood fastener to provide structural rigidity; everything is supported by extruded or cast aluminum and metal hardware that is through bolted.

I did have to prep and stain it (not my fave job) but now that I'm done, I'm really satisfied with the whole thing. I only wish I had read the directions closer because my assembly intuition let me down a few times.

I must admit, I felt a bit jealous as I was putting it together (I wish I could have come up with something like this on my own). After I got my Prinsu roof rack and started looking into the things you can do with the extruded aluminum, I was considering making my own drawer set out of that stuff, but was unsure what I would make the surfaces out of and generally every detail of the construction. I would have hosed it all up and probably never finished it. I'm so glad I went this route, because the guesswork and wasted time measuring, measuring, measuring, cutting, ordering more material because I messed up, etc totally justify the price of this kit.

To anybody else sitting on the fence, save your pennies and pull the trigger. You may think you can do it better and cheaper (and you may be right) but this is a really good and simple design, and the guesswork is done. 10/10, would do again.

Now to mount in the bed and attach the loadspotter!
IMG_20170420_202926.jpg

IMG_20170420_211153.jpg

IMG_20170420_211407.jpg

IMG_20170418_183911.jpg

Last edited:
@cruzerDave, any closer with the single drawer model?

@cruzerDave, any closer with the single drawer model?
Single drawer has a 100 and 80 series owner both waiting patiently. I need to ship the bulk order out and then my CNC guy will have time to help me set up their boards. Design done, just waiting on my/his time.

Last edited:
Just finished installing my set. I have to say, this is easily one of the most well thought out, straightforward kits I've ever assembled! The only snag I encountered, was a result of the PO's backing into a column of some sort. The floor pan had just enough of an upward warp, that it had the framework sitting askew & drawers wouldn't close evenly.. A couple of stomps with the heel took care of the warp, and some 3/4" tall steel spacers underneath with longer bolts, and everything sits level & opens smoothly. The framework does sit up off the floor as a result, so I'll add some shims underneath after a few drives & it all settles in.

Fronts, sides & backs of drawers were done with spray on bed liner. Top was covered in a basic indoor/outdoor carpeting, and the wings were attached with 30" piano hinges to allow flip up access. Handles were sourced from amazon, after finding them in a previous post here.

Thanks to @cruzerDave for coming up with this kit!

IMG_1363.JPG

Just finished installing my set. I have to say, this is easily one of the most well thought out, straightforward kits I've ever assembled! The only snag I encountered, was a result of the PO's backing into a column of some sort. The floor pan had just enough of an upward warp, that it had the framework sitting askew & drawers wouldn't close evenly.. A couple of stomps with the heel took care of the warp, and some 3/4" tall steel spacers underneath with longer bolts, and everything sits level & opens smoothly. The framework does sit up off the floor as a result, so I'll add some shims underneath after a few drives & it all settles in.

Fronts, sides & backs of drawers were done with spray on bed liner. Top was covered in a basic indoor/outdoor carpeting, and the wings were attached with 30" piano hinges to allow flip up access. Handles were sourced from amazon, after finding them in a previous post here.

View attachment 1445898
Thanks for posting this pic - I was wondering if I should use some bedliner to finish it out. Looks good. Do you have magnets to hold the wings down? Does the carpet pucker when you fold them up?

Thanks for posting this pic - I was wondering if I should use some bedliner to finish it out. Looks good. Do you have magnets to hold the wings down? Does the carpet pucker when you fold them up?

Carpeting got a healthy coating of 3M spray adhesive, so it doesn't move or ripple much as the sides pivot up. There's the slightest hump, from the hinge, but nothing bulky enough to catch anything. The wings stay down since the backs of the seats lean against them. The seat back just needs to be released, not fully flipped down, to open the wings. So far they don't flop or rattle as is, but I may explore your magnet idea if they do.

I don't mean to gush here, but what a helluva nice kit @cruzerDave ! The precision of the cuts and quality of the hardware are really impressive. There's practically no joint in this thing that relies on a wood fastener to provide structural rigidity; everything is supported by extruded or cast aluminum and metal hardware that is through bolted.

I did have to prep and stain it (not my fave job) but now that I'm done, I'm really satisfied with the whole thing. I only wish I had read the directions closer because my assembly intuition let me down a few times.

I must admit, I felt a bit jealous as I was putting it together (I wish I could have come up with something like this on my own). After I got my Prinsu roof rack and started looking into the things you can do with the extruded aluminum, I was considering making my own drawer set out of that stuff, but was unsure what I would make the surfaces out of and generally every detail of the construction. I would have hosed it all up and probably never finished it. I'm so glad I went this route, because the guesswork and wasted time measuring, measuring, measuring, cutting, ordering more material because I messed up, etc totally justify the price of this kit.

To anybody else sitting on the fence, save your pennies and pull the trigger. You may think you can do it better and cheaper (and you may be right) but this is a really good and simple design, and the guesswork is done. 10/10, would do again.

@slceso thanks for the testimonial there, I'm happy that you're happy ;) I can't wait to see them installed with the Load Spotter installed.

Also wondering, are these installed in the HDJ81 in your signature? If so you are the first non-US 80... any fitment issues on the side wings, or with the anchor holes or bolts lining up?

View attachment 1445898

@dcx13 and thank you to you as well, glad you were able to easily cope with the floor pan issue. And my compliments, that is a super clean finished look you achieved, I'm jealous! (my personal set still is not done finishing I'm embarrassed to say, just too busy)

Just a quick headsup that I *finally* have a website up, which includes lots of info, a gallery of your awesome installations, and a new ordering method that includes a countdown until the run closes. If you are looking to get in on the next run here you go:

Land Shark Outfitters

Any and all comments and feedback are welcome, please PM them or use the 'contact' form on the website - thx!

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.53.20 AM.png

@slceso and @Douglas S - a fellow HDJ81 owner is looking to buy drawers and we were wondering if you were able to secure yours into factory 3rd row seat bracket holes (like in FJ80s), or if you had to DIY a mount into the d-ring holes?

I'm also not certain how much consistency there is for the HDJ81's rear area, if anyone can chime in it would be great... thanks!

@slceso and @Douglas S - a fellow HDJ81 owner is looking to buy drawers and we were wondering if you were able to secure yours into factory 3rd row seat bracket holes (like in FJ80s), or if you had to DIY a mount into the d-ring holes?

I'm also not certain how much consistency there is for the HDJ81's rear area, if anyone can chime in it would be great... thanks!
There are no 3rd row seat holes in my HDJ81 or any others I have seen. I have yet to install or even assemble my drawers so I'm of no help at this point.

I'll either drill and create my own threaded holes with nutserts or tie into the factory hold down points somehow.

Last edited:
There are no 3rd row seat holes in my HDJ81 or any others I have seen. I have yet to install or even assemble my drawers so I'm of no help at this point. I'll either drill and create my own threaded holes with nutserts or tie into the factory hold down points somehow.

Thanks for the feedback @Douglas S - One idea is to use the rearmost plywood anchor, sliding it closer to the rear of the truck over the location of the d-rings. Remove them, and use a bolt through the plywood and into 1 or 2 of those old d-ring bolt holes. Turnbuckles for the front, or same thru-bolt approach (not sure if those d-rings are inside or outside the footprint of the drawers).

That shouldn't be too tough, other than trying to line up the holes exactly, which I would do in CAD first (Cardboard Assisted Design :)

Please post pics when you do your install, and if you are able to send bolt hole dimensions and anchor locations I'll be happy to modify the anchor pieces for HDJs.

If anyone has an opportunity while they're installing their 80 set could you send me a photo of just an anchor bolt into the truck? Needed for the website and instructions - thank you!

Update on that solo drawer, customer installing in a week or so, pics coming here. They will ship in the next run, ordering will go live after real photos are up ;)

Quick headsup that the Solo drawer posted by @JAntosch here is now for sale through the website:
Land Shark Outfitters

kiss-solo-render.jpg

kiss-solo-100.jpg

- $299 for an unfinished kit, just like the full KISS system
- Pick up in Bend or shipping is $79
- Wings not included but available for $40 at time of order. Available later but then there is shipping $...
- Mounting hardware not included (since these are built/kitted as a universal application) but after you order I email you a sheet with all your options and links to the bolts/u-bolts I am currently using so you can be ready to install once the drawers arrive.
- Drawer fronts ship as a blank with a thin line scribed in the back as a guide for cutting out a handle, if that is your goal. $5 coping saw will do it in 1 minute.

Any other questions I can answer, let me know.

And don't forget I am going to HIH so if you are attending or along my route from Bend, Oregon it's free shipping ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom