Things to consider after long-term storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rarely post but I've gotten so much out of this site over the years. Thanks to all the geniuses on here.

I've had my '94 JDM 4.2l 80 series for about 15 years but it's been in storage (outdoors) since moving back to the US almost two years ago. I have always kept maintenance up and all the fluids were changed not too long before going being parked. It is on a trickle charger and I've been back to it about every six months and drive it around a bit. It always starts right up and still has pressure in the fuel system (don't need to pump the primer). I'm finally going to pick it up in a few weeks and driving it about 1500 miles to where I live now. Certainly, I'm concerned about flat spots on the tires, shrunken seals, etc. Assuming it still runs fine, what sorts of things do folks think I need to do before traveling? Thanks!

I've had my '94 JDM 4.2l 80 series for about 15 years but it's been in storage (outdoors) since moving back to the US almost two years ago.

So it's only been in storage for two years. No big deal. If you were smart, you fogged the cylinders and plugged the muffler.

I bought my LC at an auction and I came to find out later that it had been sitting for 5 years before it became mine.

I drove it home 200 miles after topping up all of the fluids at the nearest gas station.

Turbodiesel?

Would anyone change the fuel filter and/or add a biocide to the (diesel) fuel tank?? (IDK, haven't owned a diesel)

Thanks for all the great comments!

Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to cap the pipe.

Snacks, indeed!

I thought about some sort of additive but never had to deal with it before and wasn't sure if would help anything.

It is a 1HDT and I don't notice anything off when I've driven it those few times. That being said, I drive it less than 10 miles. I'm sure it will be fine, she never let me down for over 12 rough-driving years in southern Africa. I'm just trying to do everything I can to not breaking down 700 miles in.

Thanks again.

It's been parked in Oklahoma.
If it's been stored outdoors, look for rodent damage on wiring, on top of the battery, interior (glove box).

Otherwise, fluids, tire pressures and fuel.

Take it easy for the first 100 miles. Let it warm up slowly. This includes axles, tires, exhaust, seals, and all rotating parts. Axles have sat and drained down so seals and things are dry. No more than 35 MPH for 20-30 minutes to allow things to loosen up.

Check the brakes for function. Cycle the transmission through all gears.

Throw in some support tools (tow strap, jumper cables, handful of tools, extra fluids), get a cooler and hit the road.

Oh, and take a list of names from here and post your route so we can follow along. If you run into problems, you may be able to get help quickly from members here.

Last edited:
Thanks BILT4ME, that’s along the lines of what I was thinking. It was clean when I visited in April.

I’m headed from Enid, OK to Missoula, MT but I haven’t decided on which route. Great community, here!

I have a 1995 with a 1HD-FT and for the past two winters it hasn't run for about 4 months while being stored, no issues thus far. Some basic prep but nothing over the top.

Keep us posted and enjoy your 80!

If you've been driving it every 6 months, you should be fine. I did the same thing from 2021-2023. Trickle charging the battery was a good idea. I probably would have put in some fuel stabilizer in the tank, but I think you'll be fine. Biggest issue I had was the AC system needed more refrigerant. If your truck was already in decent shape, all you really need to do is make sure that your tire pressures are good, do an oil change, and top off the coolant if needed. Just make sure you bring a tool kit, some fuses, choice hoses and belts, and a fusible link. I'll bet it will do the trip just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom