Slide out kitchen for my 80 is finally becoming a reality! (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working on my slide out kitchen mods to the KISS drawers in my 80. When it's done, all of the work surfaces will be covered in stainless steel. I'm still playing with a few things like a 40" extension to the return with a collapsible sink but when it's done, it will all pack up into the passenger side drawer. Here's where I am so far:

Drawer pulled out
IMG_0263_zpsffzznh8e.jpg

Drawer front unlatches and hinges to allow access to the sliding platform.
IMG_0264_zpsift6vzxo.jpg

Slide with stove (and more still to come) pulls out on 40" 400lb slides.
IMG_0265_zpsycf98qhd.jpg

Return attaches via RV style sliding table hinge thingy. (Forgive the technical jargon) Folding extendable legs need to be narrowed before final bolting on.
IMG_0266_zpsjjmekxqa.jpg

IMG_0267_zpsqw5ws6la.jpg

IMG_0268_zpskkcctlo8.jpg

It is set up to all fit under the 4 foot ARB awning on the back of the truck. There's a lot more to do but it's coming along.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of stuff to haul around. Pretty cool though.

Seems like a lot of stuff to haul around.

:meh:
It is, but it will get used at work events every weekend, for camping, etc..Basically about 5-7 times per month I'm cooking on my tailgate and this setup all fits in one drawer, out of the way and out of sight when i'm not using it..

Last edited:
I've been working on my slide out kitchen mods to the KISS drawers in my 80. When it's done, all of the work surfaces will be covered in stainless steel. I'm still playing with a few things like an 80" extension to the return with a collapsible sink but when it's done, it will all pack up into the passenger side drawer. Here's where I am so far:

Drawer pulled out
IMG_0263_zpsffzznh8e.jpg

Drawer front unlatches and hinges to allow access to the sliding platform.
IMG_0264_zpsift6vzxo.jpg

Slide with stove (and more still to come) pulls out on 80" 400lb slides.
IMG_0265_zpsycf98qhd.jpg

Return attaches via RV style sliding table hinge thingy. (Forgive the technical jargon) Folding extendable legs need to be narrowed before final bolting on.
IMG_0266_zpsjjmekxqa.jpg

IMG_0267_zpsqw5ws6la.jpg

IMG_0268_zpskkcctlo8.jpg

It is set up to all fit under the 4 foot ARB awning on the back of the truck. There's a lot more to do but it's coming along.

Would you mind taking a pic from underneath, showing the RV style sliding hinge thingy? I'm trying to picture it, and can't. Does your last piece of countertop store in drawer also?
Very nice looking setup! The way it's set up you should have a "smooth" flow while prepping on it....... keep the pics coming!

What drawer slides did you use?

When do we show up for the hot dogs ?

HOLY SHNIKEY I never saw that coming when I told folks to use KISS Drawers as a starting point for "your custom storage"!

My hat's off to you @msapers, that is a fantastic build :cheers:

How does the awning come off the back of the truck with the rear hatch up? Any pics of your setup? Kitchen setup is badass!

How does the awning come off the back of the truck with the rear hatch up? Any pics of your setup? Kitchen setup is badass!

It JUST clears but thats all I need. My thinking behind putting an awning in the back was that if I wanted to, I could use ARB's screen enclosure for the awning and have a shaded bug free kitchen. Or, in a really wet environment, I could use their full enclosure and have a dry kitchen.

0816151051a_zps0gwuvae2.jpg

0816151054_zpsnpxvxkcq.jpg

That's awesome, nice work. It looks like a very well thought out plan.

:clap:

When do we show up for the hot dogs ?

You know, those will likely be around front on the manifold as you can cook them on the way.

Looks really well thought out, clean.

The one thing I see I'd think of now (assuming you hadn't - doubt though) is I see your swingout bosses. In keeping with the whole "why toyota didn't put the stove in the tailgate" thought I hope the gascans that generally get added go on the left arm now. That or the stove isn't fixed to that decking / location.

But you add a left arm & you have yourself pigeonholed in that kitchen - no?

Or is swingout for something totally different than usual stored items?

Just guessing based on pics.

Looks really well thought out, clean.

The one thing I see I'd think of now (assuming you hadn't - doubt though) is I see your swingout bosses. In keeping with the whole "why toyota didn't put the stove in the tailgate" thought I hope the gascans that generally get added go on the left arm now. That or the stove isn't fixed to that decking / location.

But you add a left arm & you have yourself pigeonholed in that kitchen - no?

Or is swingout for something totally different than usual stored items?

Just guessing based on pics.

There are going to be 3 Scepter water cans on the stove side with the spare on the other side. Sub tank (eventually) for extra fuel. IH8exploding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom