KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 80s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, sorry this took so long to get to you, and be aware that these are prototype photos, we all need to thank @ZackR for his time and patience while I crawl around the back of his truck in subzero temperatures!

And here is test-fitting my hand-cut proto pieces into Zack's truck:
View attachment 1364970

The dado on the front of the drawer was so I could test it on either side, your fronts will be as expected-smooth. You can see the appearance/goal will be the same it is was for the 100s: 1/8-1/4 gap on sides to allow room for wings to swing, install carpet, or open the access panels.

I'll do one more fitment test with actual pieces off the CNC - it's actually quicker and easier than measuring all the curves and such, and just makes me feel better at the end of the day to know the pieces being cut work exactly as intended. Check the group buy thread for info on how *that* is going, and I'll post those pics here when I get the pieces.
Do you have a Picture of the complete unit yet ? Also are the " Wings " able to be used for storage also ??

Sharky

It looks the same as the 100 series here:
Keep It Simple Storage (KISS) Drawers
(make sure you look at later pictures that show the wings)

And yes you can store under the wings. I find accessing that space from the front by opening the drawers to be fine - some folks are in process of hinging them for access from above - your choice, these drawers are meant to be modified by the owner;)

Just got mine in and unboxed. Super excited. Really good packaging and no casualties. I was going to wait until this weekend to get started but...

IMG_20170330_153815.jpg

IMG_20170330_153105.jpg

Nahhhh, no reason to wait! At least assemble the skeleton - skip to the middle ;)
Looking forward to more pics and how you finish/customize them

Nahhhh, no reason to wait! At least assemble the skeleton - skip to the middle ;)
Looking forward to more pics and how you finish/customize them
Since it's going into a 1990 HDJ81, I will have to improvise the tie downs for the skeleton (no 3rd row seats), so you've got a good idea there! I was aware I would have to do this, but luckily there are some factory tie down points I can work with.

I've decided to clean off my work bench first (for the first time) so that I don't have to built it on sawhorses and drop something, so it may be the weekend yet.

@slceso please email me details on how and where you secure, yours will be the first HDJ81 - depending on what you have to do I might be able to build that into the anchors for future users.

@DirtScaresMe - the link from slcesco is correct - I am working on building a website to be less confusing in the future, just need a bit more *time*... ;)

Last edited:
Since it's going into a 1990 HDJ81, I will have to improvise the tie downs for the skeleton (no 3rd row seats), so you've got a good idea there! I was aware I would have to do this, but luckily there are some factory tie down points I can work with.

I've decided to clean off my work bench first (for the first time) so that I don't have to built it on sawhorses and drop something, so it may be the weekend yet.
Please post up your solution when you get around to installing. I will have to cross the same hurdle shortly.

Here area few finished photos of mine. I'll shoot some more later this week. I put piano hinges in to flap up my wings.

20170302_170032.jpg

20170302_165928.jpg

I forgot to put in the first post that I marine grade super varnished the whole thing before I put it together. The pull handles are locking with reenforcement on the both side so going to be super hard to over come them.

I forgot to put in the first post that I marine grade super varnished the whole thing before I put it together. The pull handles are locking with reenforcement on the both side so going to be super hard to over come them.
Do you have the link to those handles, and how much they cost you? They look seriously strong! Any tips or headaches getting them in? I'd like to add them to the list of 'handle options' on the website I am building...

Last edited:
I bought these handles off Amazon and then used the gasket as a template. Jigsawed it out an then wood file for a tight fit. I used a piece of steel angle as a stop underneath with notching of the top plate. I did have to put some washers behind the bolts to spread the force out

Amazon.com: Buyers Products L8815 T-Handle Latch (Latch,T-Handle,Sst,Sgl Pt W/Gskt & Ch545): Automotive

What did you use for the retaining portion of the lock/latch; i.e. what's catching it on the inside?

I had a small piece of angled steel and notched the wood to accept the locking bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom