KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@slceso and @Douglas S - a fellow HDJ81 owner is looking to buy drawers and we were wondering if you were able to secure yours into factory 3rd row seat bracket holes (like in FJ80s), or if you had to DIY a mount into the d-ring holes?

I'm also not certain how much consistency there is for the HDJ81's rear area, if anyone can chime in it would be great... thanks!
Sorry I'm way late. I used some strapping and ended up using a turnbuckle on one end. I put some wood screws through the strapping on the cross members. You'll want something. I did a little soft shoulder pothole baja and she scooted around a little, but faired better than my coffee cup.

IMG_20170421_132812.jpg

IMG_20170421_132714.jpg

Quick update: shipping for 80 series drawers has been lowered to $99 - I'm getting a much better price from FedEx and customers are trending heavily toward the west coast so figured it was only fair.

FIRM ship dates going forward: the business has matured enough to support it finally, so July 23 and Sept 25 are the next ship dates. No August run, too much travel.

Hope everyone is enjoying getting out there, nice and organized;)
Dave

Quick update: shipping for 80 series drawers has been lowered to $99 - I'm getting a much better price from FedEx and customers are trending heavily toward the west coast so figured it was only fair.

FIRM ship dates going forward: the business has matured enough to support it finally, so July 23 and Sept 25 are the next ship dates. No August run, too much travel.

Hope everyone is enjoying getting out there, nice and organized;)
Dave
Hi, I am a newbie. When is the next time i can put my name on the waiting list for Kiss Drawers for my 91 series 80? Is there an order link?Thanks.

Just put in an order for the Sept 25th batch. Can't wait to get them.

Hi @cruzerDave or anyone else that may have insight, has anybody used this setup with the wings removed and the factory 3rd row seat brackets in place? I have been searching around comparing pictures and studying the design of your drawers and the design of the 4x4labs 3rd row seat racks 3rd row seat racks - Inside cargo racks for 80 series I feel pretty confident that it would work but thought I would ask the question.

Hi @cruzerDave or anyone else that may have insight, has anybody used this setup with the wings removed and the factory 3rd row seat brackets in place? I have been searching around comparing pictures and studying the design of your drawers and the design of the 4x4labs 3rd row seat racks 3rd row seat racks - Inside cargo racks for 80 series I feel pretty confident that it would work but thought I would ask the question.
Someone else asked me this and my answer was it looks close but probable - the wings are 7.5" wide and I think that storage was 7.25", but I'm not sure how close to the plastic they install so can't say with certainty...

If you needed an extra 1/2" though you could probably drill out the anchor holes, trim the opposite side wing and the drawer front, and slide the whole set over a bit.

Finally getting around to doing my write-up for my install. Dave was nice enough to help me raise the height of the top deck so I could make these drawers work for a sleeping platform. I picked mine up in Bend since it's not too far and we were there visiting friends anyway. Super nice guy.

So like others have said the packaging and instructions are great. After assembling the drawers I flipped them upside down and cut out the rubber mat/flooring I was gluing to the top. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VIP67A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used the 3M 90 spray on contact adhesive. I've noticed that when it's warm in the truck the rubber mat can me lifted or slid rather easily because the glue softens. I need to research a better adhesive.
drawers and stratchets.jpg

As you can see I also installed L track and quick connects from the same company. Olive Painted L-Track
Here is a link for the stratchets: Stratchits - by Front Runner
These things are awesome. Well made and easy to use.

Once I got the drawers in I starting taking measurements for my refrigerator mount and sleeping platform extensions. One issue I ran into was that after raising the height of the drawers/deck they interfered with the second row seatback locking in the upright position. I had to keep one seat for the baby seat. I ended up notching out the deck and it worked out fine.
20170501_110346.jpg

For the refrigerator I used the same extruded aluminum rails that come with the drawers. I bought my stuff here: 1010-S When sleeping in the truck I move the seats forward and slide the fridge forward for maximum space.

20170530_183200.jpg
20170602_142912.jpg

20170602_142849.jpg

Last edited:
Next I installed piano hinges on the front edge of the deck and added wood extensions to make the sleeping platform. I used some old door hinges I had to add 2x4 support legs underneith. The legs are removed easily by pulling the hinge pins. I store the legs until they are needed. Another piano hinge was added to the two-piece extension on the passenger side so it can fold in half. It's too long to clear the ceiling/headliner when in the stow position. I don't have a pic with them stowed.
20170815_155118.jpg
20170815_155222.jpg

I still need to add rubber mat to the top of the extensions. I'll eventually add some black cloth or something to the front (behind the seats) of the drawers so that you can't see inside but can still easily access items from the front. This was an unplanned benefit or raising the height of the deck. Lastly, I added dividers and a modified cutting board to the drawers. Cutting board here: Amazon.com: Winco CBYL-1824 Cutting Board, 18-Inch by 24-Inch by 1/2-Inch, Yellow: Kitchen & Dining
Someone else on here did the cutting board mod and inspired me. Sorry I don't remember who exactly. Pics in next post.

20170815_155125.jpg

20170502_110938.jpg

cutting board.jpg

Last edited:
Next I installed piano hinges on the front edge of the deck and added wood extensions to make the sleeping platform. I used some old door hinges I had to add 2x4 support legs underneith. The legs are removed easily by pulling the hinge pins. I store the legs until they are needed. Another piano hinge was added to the two-piece extension on the passenger side so it can fold in half. It's too long to clear the ceiling/headliner when in the stow position. I don't have a pic with them stowed.
View attachment 1517819 View attachment 1517821

Great write-up, pics, and mods there @FJP971!

Quick headsup that I am going to be selling bags specifically designed for 100 & 80 series KISS Drawers (although they work for anyone or anything), and will locate that info over here since not a 80-specific product:
Bags For Drawers & More

screen-shot-2017-08-19-at-11-56-25-am-png.1520316

Please head to the above link for all commenting and Q&A ;)

Hi Dave,

I had a question about customizing a set of drawers. I was wondering if I could get slots for drawer dividers cut into the inside if the drawers. Ideally would get them cut every 6 inches so that I could slide in dividers as needed.

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I had a question about customizing a set of drawers. I was wondering if I could get slots for drawer dividers cut into the inside if the drawers. Ideally would get them cut every 6 inches so that I could slide in dividers as needed. Thanks!
Dan- I've avoided doing customs as I am really time-limited, this is a part-time side gig for me and there are a lot of rabbit holes down the customization path. Several customers have cut their own, if you have a table saw or a friend with one it is pretty quick to rip 1/8" slots wherever you want, and then several materials out there from facing plywood or ABS sheets that could be trimmed and dropped right in. Sorry I can't be more directly helpful...

Sorry I'm way late. I used some strapping and ended up using a turnbuckle on one end. I put some wood screws through the strapping on the cross members. You'll want something. I did a little soft shoulder pothole baja and she scooted around a little, but faired better than my coffee cup.

View attachment 1485294

View attachment 1485295

Ended up redoing my anchoring due to breaking some of the strapping. Also with the weight of the Loadspotter, the whole thing wanted to rock around causing the drawers to hit the tailgate.

I used some turnbuckles and swapped one of the hooks with a carrier bolt on the front (measure carefully and you won't interfere with drawer travel). On the other end I anchored with a slide nut and strapping (I flipped the cargo hook so the strap would have better purchase). Much more stable. If you don't have third row seat mounting this may work for you.

IMG_20170910_134205.jpg

IMG_20170910_134209.jpg

IMG_20170910_134226.jpg

upload_2017-10-26_12-2-9.jpeg

After a year of far more success and fantastic customer feedback & support than I would have ever believed possible, here I am still selling drawers. I gotta say, I did NOT see that coming when I hit [POST] back in August, 2016...

BUT, the news today is this:
with a year of data to rely on I am now transitioning from batch-based manufacturing of KISS Drawers to a traditional business model. Order online through a proper shopping cart, and drawers ship to you in 2-4 weeks. Note that right now the store says 4-6 weeks, but that is to accommodate unplanned hiccups as I and my suppliers iron out any wrinkles in the new system, not what I really expect to need. This will provide customers their drawers sooner, relieve stress in my supply chain, and <hopefully> smooth out this whole roller coaster ride.

Now that I have a proper shopping cart, the Chum Buckets are also for sale (Chum Chili Dog, Chum Dog, & Chum Fries, with others coming soon),

chum-all-350.jpg

as well as the Shark Bite and a sticker that adds 1-2" of ground-clearance*.

And my apologies to those following and asking about Remora - it took a back seat to the e-commerce system and bags, but with those coming online it will now get some love and you can expect it for sale soon.

Time to start making your Christmas lists, and thank you to this great community!

*adds ground clearance through the same technology used by racing stripes to add hp - your results may vary

View attachment 1562438

After a year of far more success and fantastic customer feedback & support than I would have ever believed possible, here I am still selling drawers. I gotta say, I did NOT see that coming when I hit [POST] back in August, 2016...

BUT, the news today is this:
with a year of data to rely on I am now transitioning from batch-based manufacturing of KISS Drawers to a traditional business model. Order online through a proper shopping cart, and drawers ship to you in 2-4 weeks. Note that right now the store says 4-6 weeks, but that is to accommodate unplanned hiccups as I and my suppliers iron out any wrinkles in the new system, not what I really expect to need. This will provide customers their drawers sooner, relieve stress in my supply chain, and <hopefully> smooth out this whole roller coaster ride.

Now that I have a proper shopping cart, the Chum Buckets are also for sale (Chum Chili Dog, Chum Dog, & Chum Fries, with others coming soon),

chum-all-350.jpg

as well as the Shark Bite and a sticker that adds 1-2" of ground-clearance*.

And my apologies to those following and asking about Remora - it took a back seat to the e-commerce system and bags, but with those coming online it will now get some love and you can expect it for sale soon.

Time to start making your Christmas lists, and thank you to this great community!

*adds ground clearance through the same technology used by racing stripes to add hp - your results may vary
Congrats. Happy to see business moving in this direction for you. Very happy with my drawers, well deserved!

Couple quick updates as the holidays approach...

Merry Christmas,
80 SERIES KISS DRAWERS ARE IN STOCK

upload_2017-12-10_11-24-44.png

For the moment.

Once these sell I will not be building more until mid/end of January. I want to give myself and the family a little downtime over the holidays.

In other news, bags are in stock, Remora is still stuck in supplier backlog hell, and SharkNet (a 100 series grill, may get ported to 80s if interest) is in progress as best I can with the craziness of the season.

Finally, check out how the drawers are packaged:

merry christmas from LSO.jpg

Cool vid, love the family participation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom