Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You have a keen eye for detail youngster.

IMG_1024.JPG
Got the tub back from the painter, doors are assembled, and the old tub is nearly striped.

IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

Put a bandaid on the rear frame/bumper mount bullet hole today. This should get me throw this season.

Crap! And I threw all my spares at the neighbors cat!!!

IMG_1926.JPG

I think I found my death wobble. The other side was worse.

Last edited:
Stock carb and dizzy, from what I've read. May need rejet the carb. I have a small cap dizzy that you could send to Jim C for a recurve. Though, I'm not sure how much of a performance improvement is gained.
Lots of info on desmoging in the 40 section FAQ.

Stock carb and dizzy, from what I've read. May need rejet the carb. I have a small cap dizzy that you could send to Jim C for a recurve. Though, I'm not sure how much of a performance improvement is gained.
Lots of info on desmoging in the 40 section FAQ.

There used to be tons of info in the 40 faq, but for some reason I can no longer find it. A general search in the forum brings up ton if 79 and up 2f desmog, but not the 78 federal.

Jim C's website used to offer information if I recall correctly. Jim is not a fan of most desmogging approaches.

Besides the desmoging thoughts, I started the install of a camera system on the 97 4runner.

Four cameras for four sides. Mounted and cables run into the cabin, to be run and hidden at a later date. Maybe even save it for when Ed drills a hole in the roof. I'll have to run that cable as well.
20170308_180851.jpg
20170308_180900.jpg

I figured out where I'm going to place the monitor, pretty much top center of dash left bias of the center vents. Right where the factory clock used to be. Going to bend some kind of bar or bracket that mounts behind the center dash and pops out the clock hole. This is the PITA part. I was thinking a RAM kind of mount snaked through there.

View attachment 20170308_180920.jpg

I think desmogging is pretty universal.
You have to cap the air rail bungs; devane the air pump (or get a pulley thing to replace it); keep a ported vacuum for the dizzy advance, charcoal canister (I believe); keep the PCV cicuit; block of the egr input at the intake; and cap all the unused vac ports on the intake and carb.

This thread seemed pretty extensive, though I know it isn't a '78 fed.
forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-desmog-thread.188643/

Jim C sells the needed stuff.

Desmog components

I got his air rail plugs, and the vinyl plug for the air cleaner, I made a plug for the air intake under the carb. I believe I made some block off plates, can't remember. I already had the stock vacuum advance points distributor. I believe I did a retune. I didn't need an idler pulley when I pulled the smog pump. Plus, I did most of the things that Stump mentioned. I also pulled out all the vacuum hoses and ID'd them just in case... It's all in a pile in my basement.

Instead of working on cruisers I have been building one. Little man loves it. Now back to real cruisers
IMG_6881.JPG
IMG_6882.JPG

Got the old tub off and the new tub lined with tintable Raptor. Thanks to the Shmukster, Ryan, and the crew from Full Awn Fab.
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG

Did you spray it or role the Raptor liner? I've been looking at bed liners for mine.

It's sprayed on with a schutz gun. The pic was taken after the first of 2 coats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom