October ROTM - Casner Trail & Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Matt and CJ! Since CJ is higher up on the wait list, I will take your offer (plus, I get to ride in a cushy 100 :) ). And CJ, while I am tall, I don't take up that many seats :eek:.

I just have to talk my wife into driving me down to Sedona on Saturday, then she should be able to follow Brice, or a map, back to the Edge of the World. See you all on Saturday!

Pitch, if you need a ride to sedona, I can shuttle you from Flagstaff

I plan to leave early Friday morning if anybody is also planning to go up let me know and we can Caravan up together

The weather on the rim is looking great! Not very fall-like, but perfect for sitting around the campfire!

National Weather Service

Anybody headed up Saturday morning and want to wagon-train from I17 & Carefree Hwy north? Let me know and we can coordinate times, from this northernmost point it's not a long trek, but always nice to have a line of LandCruisers running together!

Anybody headed up Saturday morning and want to wagon-train from I17 & Carefree Hwy north? Let me know and we can coordinate times, from this northernmost point it's not a long trek, but always nice to have a line of LandCruisers running together!
I'm heading up Sat morn but not in on the run. I may split off in Sedona for breakfast and see everyone up at camp. So, yeah I'm up for a caravan.

Since I am going up either Thursday or early Friday morning, I will let those who are coming up on Saturday morning figure out the meeting place and time outside the valley.
When we drove up last year, we took the 260 toward Cottonwood to catch 89A south west of Sedona. It is a faster router than the 179.
For those of you headed straight to camping, I think the faster way is going to be taking the I-17 all the way to the Flagstaff airport exit, then take the 89A south. FS535 is only about 8.5 miles from the Flagstaff airport exit off the I-17.

Planing on going up through Sedona on Friday for the color change. Was up in the Alpine Springerville area this past weekend and the color was great, 89 should be great. When timed right one of the nicest color drive around anywhere. Did it last year on my moto and was so impressed I turned around and did it again.

The SF Peaks (aspens) are prime time right now and through the end of this week on the south side. Only the very upper reaches of Oak Creek Canyon may have some color right now. You can also expect some color in the oak trees at the top of the rim. They are turning, but not dropping many leaves yet. We may see a few big tooth maples that have turned color on our run, but no colors are changing in Sedona proper yet.

The weather on the rim is looking great! Not very fall-like, but perfect for sitting around the campfire!

National Weather Service

Looks like it gets cooler next week but mild now. Mild up north means hot in the valley. Was over to the rim this afternoon. Not one of the better years for colors.

IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG

Stilled bummed about not being able to drive over to camp.

We're going Saturday AM, would be in for a caravan. I'll PM you and @Mattman my # and we can figure the details.

Sounds good, Abigail & Mattman! Based on a prior post, it sounds like the faster route is North I17 to Cordes Junction turnoff to Cottonwood and on up, taking us in the from the West side of Sedona and closer to the Safeway.

We'd need to be at Safeway in Sedona between 9:00-9:15, as the group departure for the run will be at 9:30.

I'll check PMs and anybody else interested can post up here. Thanks!

Anyone heading up 4:30/5 Pm Friday night? I will be leaving the Tempe area around that time.

Anyone heading up 4:30/5 Pm Friday night? I will be leaving the Tempe area around that time.
There's a very slight possibility that I might be heading up Friday eve. Waiting on my daughters work schedule to dictate whether we leave Fri or Sat. I'll let you know though. I'm leaving from the NW Valley.

@Chrismanjs, I'm planning on leaving around 4 pm. Unless the man lets me go earlier on Friday. @Cruddz and I along with @hADAMonkeyonce should be headed up maybe together . Pm me and let me know. I'm at Cactus and the 101, Alvis is a few miles south of me.

@Abigail, @Nifski - (+me) will be the Saturday caravan group planning to leave I-17 & Carefree Hwy (Tramonto Marketplace Denny's at the Chevron station) at 7:30a Saturday morning. That's a DEPARTURE TIME of 7:30a, so please post up here if you plan to roll with the THREE (edit) of us so we'll know to expect you.

This gives us 2hrs to make the Safeway in Sedona - plenty of time by all accounts - and should easily get us in Sedona ahead of the trail run group so we don't slow you guys down.

Should be a fun weekend, and Linda and Millie The Camping Dog are looking forward to this one, as well! I even changed my rear brake pads for the occasion...

Last edited:
@Abigail, @Mattman, @Nifski - (+me) will be the Saturday caravan group planning to leave I-17 & Carefree Hwy (Tramonto Marketplace Denny's at the Chevron station) at 7:30a Saturday morning. That's a DEPARTURE TIME of 7:30a, so please post up here if you plan to roll with the 4 of us so we'll know to expect you.

This gives us 2hrs to make the Safeway in Sedona - plenty of time by all accounts - and should easily get us in Sedona ahead of the trail run group so we don't slow you guys down.

Should be a fun weekend, and Linda and Millie The Camping Dog are looking forward to this one, as well! I even changed my rear brake pads for the occasion...

Looks like I'm going up Friday night after my daughter gets off at 7. It's the only way I can see the Casner trail by waking up at camp Saturday and riding copilot with Murf. Disclaimer~all events subject to change~o_O

I will be going up sometime Friday, hopefully in the afternoon around 2-3pm. Not sure if I am going to shoot for the camp spot or mill around and just end up somewhere for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom