Events/Trails ROTM: Saturday December 2nd, 2023 - Backway to Sheep's Bridge redux. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
TRAIL DETAILS:

Due exclusively to the river crossing OnX rates this as a 5, but I would rate it a 2. Assuming the river is passable, its not hard but it is fun. Of some note is a silty-sandy section that gets pretty rutted and can result in a quick tug or winch being necessary if traction is lost, but its not a big deal.

From OnX Offroad: "This trail provides a shorter alternative to Bloody Basin road for viewing Sheeps Bridge and the Hot Springs. This trail is not overly difficult, but there are a few water crossings. The second crossing across the Verde river is the most difficult part of this trail. The key to this crossing is staying down river and hugging the rapids or it gets deep fast. After crossing the river, the rest of the trail is fairly tame. There is one section with deep ruts and silty sand, but it's easily managed in a aggressive stock 4x4. Due to the river crossing, you should not attempt this right after a hard rain or with ran in the forecast."

About the river Crossing at the beginning: "Crossing the Verde River is common provided the release is not more than 225 (CFS). You must cross two areas. This route requires you to visit Watershed Connection - Daily Water Report - https://streamflow.watershedconnection.com/Dwr to check the Horseshoe Dam Release. The key to this crossing is staying down river and hugging the rapids or it gets deep fast. The first crossing is a rather long (400-yard) shallow crossing is usually less than 18". The second requires you to stay to the right hugging the area where the rapids are. Rapids are the white capping area as the water travels over the underlying river rocks. This is actually where the water flows over the cement berm just before the rapids. Remember the more to the left your truck is the deeper the water. As you are approaching the rapids make sure not to cross into the rapids. Finally, just before you get to the reeds bear left and maintain a centerline between the reeds until you get to land."

The remainder of the trip to Sheep's Bridge is forest road. There are two trails to the left that take you to the Horseshoe which is a nice day ride from Sheeps Bridge. Once at Sheep's Bridge there is another opportunity to cross the Verde River to get to the Hot Springs area. When crossing in this area, there is part of the trail that takes you right to the entrance to the river. DO NOT CROSS ANYWHERE ELSE. When navigating across this portion of the river, simply drive onto the rocks where you see the water rapids on the shallow river rocks. Stay on the rocks and turn left to make a straight line for the shore. You can actually walk this first if you don't mind getting wet. There are plenty of camp spots on both sides."

NARATIVE:

We will meet up at 33.90505, -111.74478 for air-down and a driver's meeting at 9:30am and begin the trail between by 10:00am.

From air-down to the end of the trail should be between an hour and a half and two hours. It took me 1:15 running solo. I would expect to be at Sheep's Bridge no later than 12pm. Then back out the way we came in, or its sometimes possible to cross the river near the footbridge and then exit via bloody basin but that is a loooooong way out.

ITINERARY:

9:30am: Meet at 33.90505, -111.74478 for air-down and Drivers meeting.

10:00pm: Begin trail.

12:00pm: Lunch and shenanigans at Sheeps Bridge (34.07752, -111.70754)

TBD: Cross the river and exit via bloody basin rd (looooonger) or turn around an go out the way we came in (shorter)

COMMS: HAM 146.520 if possible, GMRS 15 if necessary.

ROSTER:

Last edited:
Yes, still planning to do it. The water crossing should be fine. We won't do it if its too high.

I would be a last minute decision.

Yup Selling Ford Commercial and driving old school Toyotas :worms:

Awesome. I live a strong 9 iron from your building. Tell your corporate overlords I'd like to have a word with them about my property value after they blocked my view of 4 Peaks, lit up my back yard 24/7 with their lights and that PA recording that plays all night warning trespassers to leave because a coyote crossed a motion sensor, making it impossible to sleep with the windows open.

You're cool though. :D

Awesome. I live a strong 9 iron from your building. Tell your corporate overlords I'd like to have a word with them about my property value after they blocked my view of 4 Peaks, lit up my back yard 24/7 with their lights and that PA recording that plays all night warning trespassers to leave because a coyote crossed a motion sensor, making it impossible to sleep with the windows open.

You're cool though. :D
:beer:Yeah ur not the only one that stuff bothers:bang: Some of it has to do with the tribe as well:eek:

Shoot! I’m out. Got an out of town client coming in to see a house on Saturday. If anything changes I’ll let you know.

I believe rain is coming this weekend Im still in! Bring it!

I am in and might have a passenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom