Dissent offroad 80 series modular bumper interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got back from Cruise Moab, where I drug my factory hitch on almost everything, that and the low hanging ARB in the front with factory tow hooks since I don't trust the "tow points" on ARB, were by far the biggest restrictions to my off road mobility.

For the rear, I am looking for something tight like yours or 4x4 Labs, as long as it has a hitch that is rated for 5000 lbs like the factory hitch AND still allows me to run an auxiliary fuel tank where the spare was. (The only tight rear bumper I have seen that was rated for towing ran a long bar down the middle where the spare was).

For the front, I am looking for something that will hold a Warn Zeon with much better clearance than ARB like the Short Bus or a tube bumper maybe, but provide better front end protection to grill and lights from deer along the lines of ARB.

In spite of all the offerings on the market for 80s, I have not seen the front and rear bumpers I described. Maybe someone makes them and I just haven't found them yet, but it seems to be a gap in products offered for the 80.

Before we get to far into this thread I do want to say it could be a while before the bumpers will be ready, probably 6 months to a year. As of now this is still a side business but hopfully that will soon change. As it stand right now it's hard to keep up with the 100 series orders but I know I need more options available to pay off full time, my goal is to add a couple more vehicles to my product line so I can do this full time.
Then I will be able to get the pumped out much faster.

Just read through the entire thread. A year to production is a perfect timeline for me. Have other projects stacking up in the garage. Will be keeping an eye out for your 80 series rear bumper.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just got back from Cruise Moab, where I drug my factory hitch on almost everything, that and the low hanging ARB in the front with factory tow hooks since I don't trust the "tow points" on ARB, were by far the biggest restrictions to my off road mobility.

For the rear, I am looking for something tight like yours or 4x4 Labs, as long as it has a hitch that is rated for 5000 lbs like the factory hitch AND still allows me to run an auxiliary fuel tank where the spare was. (The only tight rear bumper I have seen that was rated for towing ran a long bar down the middle where the spare was).

For the front, I am looking for something that will hold a Warn Zeon with much better clearance than ARB like the Short Bus or a tube bumper maybe, but provide better front end protection to grill and lights from deer along the lines of ARB.

In spite of all the offerings on the market for 80s, I have not seen the front and rear bumpers I described. Maybe someone makes them and I just haven't found them yet, but it seems to be a gap in products offered for the 80.
The rear does have a intagrated receiver that I have no doubts will tow 6500lbs+ without issue but like stated below the cost and liability to get tow rated is not worth it for me so it will be sold as offroad use only as is with most aftermarket parts.
The pic above shows the new crossmember that replaces the factory one.

There is still room for an aux tank on the 100 series but hav not looked hard enough to say one way or the other on the 80.

There have been several 100 series guys that run the zeon winch but the control box will need to be mounted to the top center of the bumper. The bull bar is bolt on so that can be installed as well.

You often will find no one will put a tow rating on their bumpers, one because they can't pay to test them and 2 they don't want the liability.
X2. Ben wont be doing any tow rating. It's a financial stretch for the big manufacturers to have this testing done. It's not even close to an option financially for the little guys. A little common sense in design should make the receiver hitch significantly stronger than the factory trailer hitch. When I built my rear tube bumper I did some structural testing in CAD with different scenarios with hard side pulls, low pulls, high pulls, and straight pulls. I was having to put over 30,000lbs of pull on the bumper before I started seeing the red color of possible failure areas. There is just no scenario where I would be putting 30,000 lbs. of pull on an 80 series. Even though I know a 30,000 lb. pull would never happen I still went ahead and reinforced those ares with triangulated plating to even remove those semi weak spots. It doesn't take much thought to deign a hitch that is structurally sound in all towing and winching scenarios.

Sub'd, rear only, WOW.

now start saving for f&r hope will be enough when u start make them and love the 100s bumper u make look awesome

Should have the 100 series bumper all coated and mounted this weekend,
Will post pics when it's done.
The 80series bumper will be a little different but the basic design should stay the same.

I'd be all in with the recessed towing option. I would want corrosion protection for sure with the winters we have here. If you need someone to fit a prototype I would be glad to be a guinea pig!

@benc
Was looking at the 100 Series thread today and just want to say PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR THE 80!!!
The options you are creating are sweeeeet!
Any update on your status / thought process?

Love the bumper design, hope it happens. I have a couple of thoughts on your powder coat needs. There are definitely some tight spots to watch out for, those angled areas on the back that end at a point are very tough "Faraday Cage" areas, but it is doable. It's good to see that you are using P&O steel, that will work well with a proper pretreatment wash. One big area of concern is the carbon from the laser cutting or "laser slag", that stuff will coat fine but delaminate and fail very quickly so you may want to consider blasting the assembly first. Lastly, a zinc epoxy powder primer will help very much as well. All these things drive up the cost quickly, I realize, but you have an awesome product there and I wouldn't want poor finishing to wreck your situation. This stuff is probably elementary to you powder coat supplier, but just wanted to make sure. Good luck!

My 80's heavy. Would be interested in knowing weight of final designs. Need to have ladder, high lift, rotopax, and 35 space in final configuration. If lighter I'd sell my current

Definately look sweet I will be in the market for both front and rear bumpers for my 80 that I'm building during this year as I get it put back together.

Ben - you have mad welding skills, is that your profession? I'm going to help a local mudder install your bumper on the back of his pink panty wagon this weekend.

Love the bumper design, hope it happens. I have a couple of thoughts on your powder coat needs. There are definitely some tight spots to watch out for, those angled areas on the back that end at a point are very tough "Faraday Cage" areas, but it is doable. It's good to see that you are using P&O steel, that will work well with a proper pretreatment wash. One big area of concern is the carbon from the laser cutting or "laser slag", that stuff will coat fine but delaminate and fail very quickly so you may want to consider blasting the assembly first. Lastly, a zinc epoxy powder primer will help very much as well. All these things drive up the cost quickly, I realize, but you have an awesome product there and I wouldn't want poor finishing to wreck your situation. This stuff is probably elementary to you powder coat supplier, but just wanted to make sure. Good luck!
Thanks,
Everything I have coated is blasted and zinc primed before powder.

My 80's heavy. Would be interested in knowing weight of final designs. Need to have ladder, high lift, rotopax, and 35 space in final configuration. If lighter I'd sell my current
It's right around 150lbs with the tire carrier on the 100 series so would expect the 80 to be slightly less

Ben - you have mad welding skills, is that your profession? I'm going to help a local mudder install your bumper on the back of his pink panty wagon this weekend.
Thanks!
It is now but all self taught.

It's right around 150lbs with the tire carrier on the 100 series so would expect the 80 to be slightly less

I may have missed this, but is there an 80 series rear bumper available? I checked your FB page the other night but didn't see anything 80 related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom