Builds The Cummins-Powered 80 Series - Diesel Land-Crusher Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subscribed, Good Luck!!

And unfortunately leaves people stranded for days in Moab....and many others are relying on him as well.

Pathetic in my opinion and I do not get involved in these disputes, but the fact that he left my own client that I was wanted to show parts of Southern Utah to and that I invited personally to show Southern Utah to....

Only to have him sitting in a fxxxing hotel room for days. Pathetic and disturbing. I would not give a god damn cent to this sonofabitch.

Sorry. That's how pissed I am about this situation.

Sad.
Is that really fair?

From what I remember of the thread the part was shipped out one day after contact was initiated and it was shipped out in the fastest way possible (2 days to ship). I don't think anyone should have the expectation that custom parts should be available overnight. There are clearly some serious customer service issues with Diesel Adapters, I don't deny that, but I'm just not sure the above characterization of "pathetic and disturbing" is reasonable.

That and he was on what? Revision3? Then couldn't get a hold of him for a couple days I thought, while in Moab

I have this same situation going on with a friend of mine. Guy does amazing work some of the best I have seen, but fxxx I have been waiting on my exhaust manifold for months.

So while I totally understand wanting to give the little guy that does great work a chance it just isn't worth it. If this guy wasn't someone I knew I would have been very worried as he is sitting on thousands of dollars of my parts.

So once these issues start to surface, I agree 100% with @beno you can't keep doing business with them. You could be floating a business that is taking money from how many other people and not delivering product? Unless you are able to go there in person and continually provide "persuasion" to complete your project doing business is not good for the community and possibly you.

Dude. You don't have any idea of what you speak of sir.

I sat there waiting with him for an entire week in Moab. Give me a break and stop prognosticating.

When he drove 1500 miles and when I drove 2200 miles to enjoy some time in the Canyonlands only to have the entire experience demolished?

Douglas-- you usually know what you are talking about most of the time, but in this instance you need to not talk about what you don't know about.

Unless you want to pay for my hotel rooms and dinners in Moab when we should have been in the Needles district or out on HITR.

I don't think that is nessisarily fair, obviously there is a lot of emotions going on her and understandably so.

Douglas did lay the events out as we saw them here. Granted your customer had been trying to get a back up part for months with no contact back from Dustin.

As I read it the replacement part was shipped over night but missed the 2:30pm cut off. It was then the fault of Purolator after that for the following two day delay.

That is how I and I believe everyone else read the events. Obviously we did not see all the details first hand. Nor do we have the emotions of a wasted trip raw in out minds.

I don't think your response to Douglas was appropriate. He was just weighing in on what he read. Of course what was posted did not cover everything but he just went of what we saw following along.

I am absolutely not trying to defend Dustin. I'm trying to avoid using any more of his parts in my swap to prove it can be done with out them and relatively easy.

Just adding my two cents to the ongoing Diesel Adapters saga. I, like many others here, was strung along by Dustin for more than 3 months after he received full payment for the 6BT / NV4500 kit I ordered for my 97 FZJ80. Just like the script says, he went totally radio silent, but in my case had in fact provided all the parts from the kit as agreed, with the notable exception of a modified wiring harness. I went so far as to price out a replacement OEM harness and PCM so I could have someone other than Diesel Adapters modify the harness... but at more than $2000 in parts, that wasn't a viable option.

Some friends of mine local to Portland went to see him in person, but nobody answered the door at either of the two addresses listed for his business. Dozens of phone calls, several voicemails, numerous emails - all from both my builder and me - went completely unanswered. So, I did the Paypal dispute thing. Sure enough, on the deadline day before Paypal was to extract money from his account to get me a refund, a UPS tracking number showed up. Great news! Hurray! But...

The box shows up and... the harness is incomplete. Missing three adapters, and my builder's comment was "It looks like he spent three hours total on this thing..." So technically, Dustin has now fulfilled my order, but I have to pay to have the wiring harness customized even further, and at this point every single minute I spent chasing Dustin for money is a minute I won't get back in my life. Thankfully, my truck is in final assembly now and I'll have it complete by the end of the year, but not without wasting three straight months waiting for Dustin to pull his head out of his ass and return a phone call. In my experience, talented though he may be at machining and engineering, he is wholly lacking the integrity to be straight up with customers. I'm thankful I never have to deal with him again, and am hoping that 400+ lb. ft. of torque in my Cruiser eventually washes away the bad taste left by this particular vendor.

Caveat emptor. Sorry to hijack your thread @Bravo1782! Great looking truck, and best of luck!

Whoa, I'm detecting some anger here! :worms:

I will keep people posted on how things go. I've e-mailed Dusting again to give him a heads up. I'll see how all this goes. I'm not letting my guard down until I get my gear and everything is as described. I must admit I'm a little nervous because I still have to send him my Torque converter and wiring harness. I was waiting until I received some parts before sending him my gear. Here's hoping this turns out well!

@thegogglesdonothing , I'm with you. It sounds like the parts are legit, and once it's all done and together, it'll be awesome (I hope). It'll be everything leading up to getting all the parts that's gonna suck the big one. I had resigned myself to doing a gas V-8 swap right as he shipped the parts. Let's hope I don't regret this. :-\ I'm thinking about calling paypal and giving them a heads up on what's going on and figure out what's the best way to protect myself through all this.

Heads up to anyone tuned into my saga: There is an ACTUAL package coming...I just checked the update and it's due here next week. I won't report on the contents until after Christmas because I'll be out of town.

Well I'm glad you had a tracking number sent to you. I've been waiting since April to get all my parts and still waiting on my harness, compushift controller and miscellaneous parts. Don't be surprised if not all of your parts are not in there...

I'm not anticipating EVERYTHING being there, but it's at least a show of good faith that SOME will be there. 29lbs can be a lot of stuff, but I don't think it's the entire kit, especially considering I was waiting to recieve at least SOME of my stuff before sending the torque converter and wiring harness. I'm not afraid of hopping in my truck and driving half way across the country if need be...especially when it's warm and nice and I can call it a "vacation."

Hey, so I need some diesel swap guys to weigh in on something. Evidently 3.55 gears are SUUUUPER expensive. Let's suppose I want to run the 6BT, factory 4:10, and fix my final drive speed\RPM issue with tire size. Would 315/75/16's be sufficiently large, or should I break bad and go with 37's? I know the axles can handle 315\75\16's no problem, but am I pushing my luck with the 37's at that point? Keep in my that this isn't going to be a hardcore rock-crawler and is going to see a lot of highway time. If it matters for stability, I would go up to 17" rims for the 37"s. For the sake of conversation, let's ignore suspension, as that's a different story altogether. Let's just assume my LC has magical infinitely-adjustable suspension for this thought experiment.

Where do you live what kind of driving and how fast do you want to cruise down the hwy at?

For me in kansas I want to run 75-80. You can't do that with 4.10 and 315. The cummins is just wrapped up to high. 315 3.54 and a 4bt still has plenty of power.

Sent from my SM-G900V

So I plan to run my 6bt with stock 4.10 gears and 315/75's and a nv4500. Most of my driving is below 65mph so I'll live with the gearing till I got with 37's.

I'm not anticipating EVERYTHING being there, but it's at least a show of good faith that SOME will be there. 29lbs can be a lot of stuff, but I don't think it's the entire kit, especially considering I was waiting to recieve at least SOME of my stuff before sending the torque converter and wiring harness. I'm not afraid of hopping in my truck and driving half way across the country if need be...especially when it's warm and nice and I can call it a "vacation."

That's where I am stuck. I have everything but my harness/compushift/charge air parts. I see a trip to Portland in my near future. If anyone would like to join let me know :).

@cjmoon : I live in the flatlands of Iowa, but this is going to be a continental cruiser; it's going to see a lot of different terrain and highways. The plan is for it to be my "always put together, ready to go camping vehicle." I'd like to be able to comfortably cruise at 70, anyway.

@Wheelingnoob : So your plan is to stick with 315's, but you think 37's are probably more appropriate for 4.10?

@RockJock82 : Depending on when you go, that actually might be tempting. I think it'd be hilarious to rally all the people waiting for parts and just all show up at the same time and just impatiently tap our feet at his "shop" (or whatever). Seriously, keep me posted on when you go!

@Wheelingnoob : So your plan is to stick with 315's, but you think 37's are probably more appropriate for 4.10?

Correct, the Dodge Ram did come with 4.10 gears in a few packages from the little research I have done.

I think cruising at the speed limits here and with most of my driving being mountains it should work out well. It's really going to be a wait and see thing. If I feel the 6bt is screaming along all the time I may speed my my tire swap plans. I just do not want to compromise economy or reliability with the swap.

I just do not want to compromise economy or reliability with the swap.

I agree. One of the big advantages of this swap should be the fuel economy. I'd also rather stick to 315\75\16's because 37's are SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive. Not that 315's will be "cheap," but they'll be WAY cheaper than 37's.

I agree. One of the big advantages of this swap should be the fuel economy. I'd also rather stick to 315\75\16's because 37's are SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive. Not that 315's will be "cheap," but they'll be WAY cheaper than 37's.

If I did it already have 315's I would be getting 37's.

So found something interesting...evidently Yukon Gear and axle has rolled out 3.70 gears from the rear axle of FZJ80s. I e-mailed them about when they'll be rolling out the 3.70 for the front, and also asked about 3.55 gears. They also now have front and rear zip lockers available. The R&P sets are coming in at $250-300 bucks....way lower than some of those other companies out there. Do you think 3.70 would be good for 315's? Or are 3.55's best for comfortable highway cruising. I really am not super hot on running 37's for this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom