Builds The Cummins-Powered 80 Series - Diesel Land-Crusher Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I figured it's time to start documenting my 80 series build as things are getting really serious. This whole story is truly a Tale of Two Land Cruisers

1993 Toyota Land Cruiser (White) - "The Cow Crusher" aka "Great White"
This Land Cruiser reads 460,xxx on the odometer and it's showing its wear. It was a gift from a close friend of mine, and was purchased by his family with 12 miles on it back in '93. They've put every one of those miles on there, drove it all over creation, and really gave it a hard working life. When I got it, the battery was dead, it was barfing power steering fluid, smelled to high heaven, and had been sitting for a long time. However, the nostalgia of my buddy's old LC was too much for me to turn down. We got it fired up, loaded on a trailer, and it came home with me so I could breathe some new life into it.

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser (Green) - "The Green Machine"
This Land Cruiser was found by a friend of mine on Craigslist. It had been a beautiful green LC from the dry southwest that almost completely rust free. However, it had been in an accident, was badly banged up, and the frame was bent. However, other than the front end, the body is in great shape, and it only had around 255,xxx miles and was extremely well taken care of other than the accident.

Between the two rigs, I figured I had one good LC in there. The white LC would serve as a parts cave as well as a donor frame, as the frame is largely rust free, with only one small patch on the rear cross-member needing welded. It would also provide what body panels were wrecked on the green cruiser. The green land cruiser would provide the vast majority of the body, as well as the drive train, newer disk-brake equipped axles, and a much lower-mileage engine. The original plan was to assemble one land cruiser from the two, do a 2.5" lift, 285\75\16 tires and keep it as stock as possible.

That idea has since gone completely out the window.

I wanted to build the ultimate camping adventure vehicle. I've already got a CVT RTT that I run on my F-150 that I am absolutely in love with. I basically want a capable off-road and on-road vehicle that I can take camping any where I want. Since I live in the middle of corn fields, decent MPG is critical, as I have to drive a long way to get to the best camping spots. It's not going to be a dedicated rock crawler, but needs to be capable off-road and have good manners on road. In a perfect world, most of my camping gear lives in the truck, and when I want to disappear for the weekend, I fire it up and off we go!

Here's the new plan:

The Engine: I'm currently looking into a 6BT cummins diesel out of a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 from a local guy in my area. The engine would provide all the torque and power I'd ever need, near-indestructible engine, and the best MPG of any of the swap options. Moreover, thanks to the absolutely killer kit put together by dieseladapters.com, all the guess work is taken out. The adapter kit is a lot of money up front, but it really does take every bit of guess work out of the swap. I'm not planning on doing a lot of performance on the engine; simplicity and bomb-proof-ness is the name of the game here.

The Transmission: The dieseladapters.com kit is designed to work with the factory A442 transmission. The factory transmission is pretty tough, but the plan is to find someone to rebuild it and install a West Coast Crusiers A442 Nomad Valve Body to give it a little more beef to handle the gobs of torque put out by the 6BT.

Transfer Case: Evidently, it is strongly advised NOT to install a part-time kit with a 6BT as the torque biasing done by the transfer case in full time 4WD mode saves the factory axles from being trashed by the massive amounts of torque. Plus, you know, full time 4WD. Other than some new seals and a general refresh, I don't plan to mod the t-case too much. I am open to suggestions.

Suspension\Wheels\Tires: Planning on ordering the OME extra heavy duty kit with the extra heavy duty rear springs for all the gear I plan to haul. This suspension should provide sufficient ride quality for the heavy 80 series with the extra-heavy 6BT. It should also give me enough clearance to run 315\75\16 on the factory rims. I plan to get the wheels sand-blasted and powder-coated black. They're very pitted, so salvaging the factory look is basically out of the questions. For tires, I'm thinking Good Year Wrangler Duratracs. I've been running these on my F-150 for about a year and a half now, and I have nothing but good things to say about these tires. Yes, they're expensive, but they're so very, very worthwhile.

Axles\Lockers: I'm planning on sticking with factory 4.10 gears; with the big tires and the diesel engine, the final drive ratio should be just about perfect. I've already rebuilt the rear axle and the front was rebuilt about a year ago. When the time comes, I plan to run Yukon Zip Lockers Front and Rear. Currently they only have a front locker available, but I've been in touch with the guys over at Yukon and they are working on a rear locker as we speak. I plan to stick with toyota axles verses chrome-moly because this truck is going to see a lot of road use, and the chrome-moly is much better for dedicated offroad rigs. Between the locking center diff, over-engineered toyota axles, lockers, and diesel torque, I should have all the traction I could ever possibly need.

Bumpers\Winches: I'm planning on running a 4x4 labs rear bumper with the tire swing and jerry can mount. The front bumper will have to be custom, as the install location of the intercooler for the 6BT makes installing a winch tricky. That is a long ways away, so I'll keep everyone posted on what I decide to do when I get to that point.

Lets start here, with the major points. Once I get through the next bunch of big moves, I'll keep posting on all the small goods (lights, customization, etc). I need to organize some pictures, and then I'll post them as well.

4.10 perfect? Most will beg to differ. Really world mpg 16-17 @70-75. Really starts falling above that speed. My 4bt pushed my 315/75r16 just fine. I'm installing 3.54 gears in the coming weeks

Seems like you would be money and time ahead if you sell both cruisers, perhaps part out the one that is smashed, and buy one cruiser that is ready to go. Otherwise I suspect you will not spend all the money you planned to spend on your goodies list above, but rather on body work.

@Bravo1782 I would suggest reading all our build threads to see the problems we all have gone through. A few things I will note from your conversion intro are the following.
-I found my Slee 4" would not hold up the heavy Cummins so the 2.5" you mention would not be good unless you are HWY only. I went for 4" OME comp springs.
-4.10 gears had me keeping the truck at 65mph due to high RPM. Think about going to 3.54 gears or jumping to 37" tires.
-Read up on Diesel Adapters customer service problems and the loooong wait getting your parts. @mryanangel did it right by waiting to get all his parts before starting his conversions. Others went through lots of frustration having a truck 95% done waiting on a final part for months.
Looking forward to another Cummins conversion. Goodluck and please post up the good and the bad as it will benefit us all down the road.

@mryanangel , The body panels that I need are in good shape. The front end of the white cruiser is in good shape and the entire cab of the green one (windshield-> back) is *mint*. The paint is scratched, but it is perfectly rust free. The front end is bent up and trashed, but the rest is perfect.

@cjmoon , your point is well taken. Gears will be last on the list. I figured I would try what's already installed, see how that works, and then adjust accordingly.

@Mr Cimarron , I'm really trying to avoid a big lift...I'm hoping I can source some 2.5" lift springs with an appropriate spring rate to be able to handle the extra weight up front. I really don't want to run a big lift. Same point to you as @cjmoon, I'll cross the gear bridge waaaaay later in the build.

So far, in talking to Diesel adapters, they've been great. They've responded quickly and fielded tons of questions and provided a wealth of info for this swap. And as far as speed, I'm not super worried about that. I understand these things take time and this is a long-term project. It doesn't have to be done tomorrow.

@mryanangel , The body panels that I need are in good shape. The front end of the white cruiser is in good shape and the entire cab of the green one (windshield-> back) is *mint*. The paint is scratched, but it is perfectly rust free. The front end is bent up and trashed, but the rest is perfect.

@cjmoon , your point is well taken. Gears will be last on the list. I figured I would try what's already installed, see how that works, and then adjust accordingly.

@Mr Cimarron , I'm really trying to avoid a big lift...I'm hoping I can source some 2.5" lift springs with an appropriate spring rate to be able to handle the extra weight up front. I really don't want to run a big lift. Same point to you as @cjmoon, I'll cross the gear bridge waaaaay later in the build.

So far, in talking to Diesel adapters, they've been great. They've responded quickly and fielded tons of questions and provided a wealth of info for this swap. And as far as speed, I'm not super worried about that. I understand these things take time and this is a long-term project. It doesn't have to be done tomorrow.
Add me to the list of sitting on your hands waiting for parts. I've been waiting since April to get all my parts. Communication he gets an F. Dustin won't answer nor return my phone calls or emails. I'm contemplating boxing all this s*** up and returning it.. It would be worth the trip up to Portland. I will say he does a great job on selling the idea of the kit..

Add me to the list of sitting on your hands waiting for parts. I've been waiting since April to get all my parts. Communication he gets an F. Dustin won't answer nor return my phone calls or emails. I'm contemplating boxing all this s*** up and returning it.. It would be worth the trip up to Portland. I will say he does a great job on selling the idea of the kit..

Everything I've seen from him leads me to believe this is the case with him.

That and the, "Hey what's this part? There's no instructions and I can't get an answer from Dustin."

I actually went to his shop when I was in Portland to check the shop out. He assured me fast shipping and turn around on the harness. Seemed legit, he came off as a nice guy. I don't mind waiting. The part that pisses me off is the lack of returning my calls or an email to just say "I'm backed up, have it out to you by end of the month". Not trying to hijack the build thread :)

This is pretty important information, to be fair. I don't mind an interruption. I e-mailed him another question or two...once I hear back from him I'll talk to him about current turn around times.

So here's a question: there's dieseladapters.com and the same components are being sold from Duiser Off-Road. Isn't Duiser pretty reputable? I'm assuming they're getting their parts from dieseladapters.com. Would I be better to order them from Duiser?

When I spoke to Dustin last week (dieseladapters founder and owner) to ask about the duiser (formerly jonesey's) connection he informed me that they bought out the whole duiser business (web presence and facility) a few months back. So it doesn't matter where you go to get parts, they are all one and the same now.

So here's a question: there's dieseladapters.com and the same components are being sold from Duiser Off-Road. Isn't Duiser pretty reputable? I'm assuming they're getting their parts from dieseladapters.com. Would I be better to order them from Duiser?
Duisers Reputable? Hahahhahaha

I'd use some choice words to describe those dudes.

Check out the thread where they killed a cummins by using too long of bolts to bolt a flywheel to a crank and ran em in with an impact and the flywheel was knocking around.

That was the cherry on a long list of garbage work. Go read the first post of my thread.

Fxxxing garbage.

But

Dustin seems to do good work if you can pin him down.

@Columbia Cruiser nailed it!
I would also like to add: if you have not received your parts within a month of paying for them. Start a dispute through PayPal and your customer service experience will all of a sudden be night and day.
We've all been through it and all we're doing here is sharing our s***ty experiences. Dustin does have a great product, is very knowledgeable and sounds like a great guy....blah blah blah, but customer service once he has your money is the s***s!

As mentioned above, do yourself a favour and avoid frustration by ordering and waiting for your parts to arrive before you start your conversion.

Great choice engine!!

@mryanangel, I certainly agree...research is key. I got the 1993 LC about 18 months ago and have been researching ever since. I always wanted to do the cummins diesel swap, but I was under the impression that it would be a 10K-20K job for a DIY'er. I considered doing a V8 swap, but that has its own set of issues too. Once I started reading up on the Diesel Adapters kit and talking to the guy (Dustin, I presume) over at Diesel Adapters, That was kind of a game changer.

So the general consensus I'm hearing is (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) you WILL get your parts (eventually) and you may have to twist their arm some to make it happen. The actual product is good, but the speed at which it will arrive is pretty atrocious. Also, don't let Duiser do the work for you.

Does that seem right? Slow shipping isn't enormously off-putting, so long as I WILL get the parts. That's the biggest fear I have; getting screwed out of $5K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom