My Newly-Vented Hood (20 photos!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was very impressed with the vent job that Steve ("SUMMIT CRUISERS") did to his hood back in July of last year... the '94~'96 Pontiac GTP louvers seemed to match perfectly the lines of the 80 hood. I contacted SUMMIT CRUISERS and asked if he still liked the mod (now that nearly a year had gone by) and would he do it again. He was still completely "sold" on the GTP vent louvers and offered enthusiastic encouragement as I was considering doing the same.

Here's a way-too-long photo essay on the install (just completed earlier today)...

My 1996 Land Cruiser with its brand new TRD supercharger lurking under the hood

CIMG3796.jpg

The template and marking guide that I made (just flip them over to do "the other side)

CIMG3798.jpg

The usual blue masking tape to keep me from screwing things up really bad!

CIMG3800.jpg

Hood blocked up and plastic sheet covering the engine... ready to go to work

CIMG3801.jpg

The marking guide taped inside the hood. I only need to mark and drill two holes to locate the top-template. These two holes ensure that the holes will be in exactly the right place within the hood bracing.

CIMG3802.jpg

Marking the two holes

CIMG3804.jpg

Center punching the holes so my drill doesn't wander all over the hood!

CIMG3806.jpg

Drilling the two holes. I used a 1/8" bit from below

CIMG3813.jpg

Opening the 1/8" holes up to 3/8" to accept the locating dowels which are part of the template I made

CIMG3815.jpg

Two 3/8" holes drilled... Ready to set in the template

CIMG3818.jpg

The template sitting in position

CIMG3827.jpg

I marked and drilled thte other four holes for the vent louver "pins" before I started sawing the hole.

CIMG3831.jpg

All six 3/8" holes drilled. Ready to start sawing!

CIMG3842.jpg

Sawing the hole. I used the same super-cheap air saw that SUMMIT CRIUISERS did (Harbor Freight, just over twenty bucks!)

CIMG3857.jpg

'Bout done!

CIMG3860.jpg

The hole from the inside

CIMG3867.jpg

Cleaning around the hole with alcohol. I used 3M "VHB" tape (3M 4949) to hold the vent louvers in place

CIMG3872.jpg

Pressing the vent louver in place

CIMG3873.jpg

Repeated all that stuff for the other side... here's a look at the completed project

CIMG3876.jpg

The Pontiac GTP vent louvers are quite well made. They are urethane and very flexible. I sanded mine down to the bade urethane then used Duplicolor primer and black Bumber paint... they look excellent.

Have a super-great weekend everybody... and THANKS Steve, I really appreciate the tips and encouragement!

R;)b

Last edited:
I think it looks really good, nice write-up too! These trucks always benefit from letting the hot air leave a little easier.

One question though, on the driver side, what electronics are going to get rained on?

Last edited:
Very nicely done Rob! Great end result is a result of your prep work!

very nice and well thought out job...looks "cool" too :)

Very nice job, and great photos :)

Nice work!

Nice write-up. Are you concerned about water getting into the fuse block on the drivers side?

I'd be curious as to before and after temp readings. I know it's somewhat relative, but would be nice to know.

I think it looks really good, nice write-up too! These trucks always benefit from letting the hot air leave a little easier.

One question though, on the driver side, what electronics are going to get rained on?

Sheesh... Installed less than twelve hours and you guys already have me worried!!! :hmm:

Anyway, of course the fuse box is on that side, but it's a bit forward of the vent. The ABS connectors are the closest to the openings... I may build a super-simple "drip deflector" just to shield those.

Oh, thanks a million for your kind compliments!

Nice write-up. Are you concerned about water getting into the fuse block on the drivers side?

Romer... As noted above, the fuse block is a bit forward of the openings, and its cover seems as if it will provide decent protection. I'll check it our a bit closer... Thanks.

You are all so polite !

I think it's so nice that nobody asked "where did his hair go???" :crybaby:

Dang... these photos are so unforgiving... :bang:

Hey Rob,

Lookin good. Don't worry about the fuse box, doesn't it have a cover on it anyway? Mine is good. Make sure to prime and paint the bare metal if you haven't already. Anyway, it's one of the best mods I've done beside the 12" pusher fan to cool the AC in drivethru's.
Best to you, :beer:

Steve

very pro looking job.

Geez, all these great looking goodies and....

.... running boards...? :D

I might consider painting them to match the rest of the truck, but they also compliment the snorkel and he ARB quite nicely!

Great work and an awesome write-up!

BTW, are you the guy working on it or the photographer??? :hillbilly:

To the OP, there is absolutely nothing to worry about concerning rain in the engine compartment/fuseblock/etc. I've run mine for over a year, and they "breath" a lot easier.

This concern about a little rain or snow in the engine compartment is basically an urban Cruiser legend that was debunked in the thread I referenced above.

If there was an issue with small amounts of water in the engine compartment from your vents, most Subarus wouldn't run, nor would Evos, or any vehicle that has a grill and an open engine compartment from the underside.:hillbilly:

BTW, are you the guy working on it ... ???

Yep, that's me (!)... Sad isn't it? But, you know, somehow I managed to get my cutie-pie wife to marry me fifty-years-ago-next-month. By the way, the photo below was taken on her 69th birthday (she's 70 now and still my dream girl)

CIMG2976.jpg

To the OP, there is absolutely nothing to worry about concerning rain in the engine compartment/fuseblock/etc. I've run mine for over a year, and they "breath" a lot easier.

Whew! Thanks a million!!

R:Db

Rob,

Just like as with the most of us, you married up. ;) :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom