Pardon me while I vent (my hood) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not a new idea, I know.

Photoman did it, Sumotoy did it, murph did it, treeroot louvered it, and citadel did with one of the same vents (https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/107593-hood-vent-installed.html).

I got these Z34 Lumina vents off ebay to my door for <$35.
IMG_6587.JPG

I sandblasted them and painted them to match my green machine.

Next I missed out on turkey hunting this morning and was up at 4am anyways, so I decided to cut holes in my hood.
IMG_6598.JPG

Then I dropped said vents in the holes.
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6587.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG

...undershot of the mount (used neoprene washer with fender washers and the stock mounting holes on the vents with black RTV).
IMG_6601.JPG

Finally, I reatttached and realigned my hood.
IMG_6602.JPG
IMG_6605.JPG

Then I drove home, much cooler than when I left this morning...:cool:
IMG_6601.JPG
IMG_6602.JPG
IMG_6605.JPG

Nice Job! Looks good.

Again the question that no one has answered that has done this...what about water/rain? Where does it go and are you planning anything to divert water?

EDIT: I still want/need to do this, I just need to have a plan for water.

Again the question that no one has answered that has done this...what about water/rain? Where does it go and are you planning anything to divert water?

EDIT: I still want/need to do this, I just need to have a plan for water.

Didn't think it rains in So-Cal LOL.

Didn't Treeroot divert his to the wheel well(s)? Or IIR one of the guys with these did.

I'm not worried about it. I regularly clean my engine compartment with a hot pressure washer (from a little distance and with the pressure turned down), and don't have any issues.

Plus if I'm driving in the rain, very little water will actually go in the vents for a couple reasons:
  1. They are raised above the height of the hood, so water that runs to them, will run around them.
  2. They will always have hot air coming out of them (except for the first couple minutes of start up).
When I'm at home, I'm in a huge heated garage. When I'm camping, again, a little water (or a lot through a relatively small surface area) I know won't have any negative affect.

My goal was as much direct venting as possible.

Sorry NLX - Guess that was you asking the same question on Tree's build.

Something like the pic you posted in his build I would imagine to do the trick. I had another thought and will see if I can draw it out in manner that makes sense.

Sorry NLX - Guess that was you asking the same question on Tree's build.

Something like the pic you posted in his build I would imagine to do the trick. I had another thought and will see if I can draw it out in manner that makes sense.

I think a drip pan like you suggested is self-defeating. You cut big holes in your hood to let hot air out, then you put a piece of plastic or sheetmetal in the way of the air to stop water (that doesn't harm your engine compartment anyways)?!? So you cut the hole, then blocked 90% of the air flow.:hmm:

I scored a set of fender gills off of a 90 Fj. I plan on using them on my hood. Nice work btw.

Looking good brother! Too bad about missing the turkey hunt but looked like you came out ahead with a clean vent job - looks great. I think the water issue is a non-issue.

Way to go! :beer::beer:

you drive though the rain, plenty of water gets through the rad and gets churned up by the fan.... can't be too dry... Not that more is better of course, but it doesn't have to be perfectly dry either...

Few questions for you:

What did you use to cut the hood?
Did you cut from the top or bottom?
Did you have to cut through any of the hood supports?
Any damage to the paint? (I see the blue tape.)

Thanks!

you drive though the rain, plenty of water gets through the rad and gets churned up by the fan.... can't be too dry... Not that more is better of course, but it doesn't have to be perfectly dry either...

That's pretty much it. Yesterday my :princess: drove around and parked outside while running errands for ~4 hours. Meanwhile it was raining, sleeting, and snowing heavily here. When she got back and I went to help with the groceries, I popped the hood to check it out. There were a couple drops of water on the PS from residual water dropping off the fins after she had parked. That was it.:meh:

What did you use to cut the hood? I punched a hole with a drill, then I mainly used a jigsaw, but I also used a sawzall.
Did you cut from the top or bottom? Definitely top with the longest metal cutting blade on the jigsaw I could find.
Did you have to cut through any of the hood supports? I got into numerous supports. I did not cut through any entirely. I checked out the stability of the hood with the holes and the vents not installed. It felt solid (no considerable increase in flex). With the vents installed, it seemed stiffer than stock. Many people have voiced concern with this in other threads, they haven't done it, and aside from conjecture, I haven't seen it documented where this has been a problem.
Any damage to the paint? (I see the blue tape.) I covered everything in masking tape. Just outside the cutting lines, I quadruple layered the tape where the jigsaw guide would be riding as right off the bat, it started to tear through some of the tape. No noticeable damage.

nice job! looks pretty similar to something in my garage :)
Had mine for 2.5 years now with no issues. my engine bay is pretty clean and the rain does not affect this. I did use the plastic mesh grate that came with the hood vent to prevent debris from falling in..

I opted out of the plastic mesh as I figured it would restrict roughly 50% of the air flow, and besides, they are not hood scoops with air rushing in, only flowing out.

Thanks again for the lead on this. I was looking for good large vents for some time before I came across what you did

Those look great!

To those worried about water coming into the vents, I've owned Subarus with open hood vents for years, and never had any issues caused by water entering the engine bay. The engine bay is open to the elements from the front and underside, so I wouldn't worry to much. I just wouldn't have an opening right over the alternator ;)

any difference in noisiness?

Very nice, looks nearly stock!

You call that a hood vent? This is a hood vent! :D
DSC_0198.jpg

any difference in noisiness?

Nope. My noise comes out the other end with a free flowing exhuast

You call that a hood vent? This is a hood vent! :D

10-4. Depending on how this works out, I may add more venting eventually. I know the effects of heat soak on a non-vented engine bay. A buddy had a nice Scrambler with a 350 (and some small vents). When wheeling, he had to prop his hood open with a rolled up tow strap to keep the temps happy. Of course, it is a Jeep.:rolleyes:

Cdan mentioned that when he props his hood open (~3"), he sees a 3-4 degree lower water temperature at idle when the engine bay is heat soaked.

For a SC'd truck, this is a no brainer. Myabe that's why it worked out well for this caveman.:D

P.S. Next project is setting up knock off wheels like in the picture above.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom