What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

285/75/16

285/65/18

since this ended up in the FAQ, can you please clarify the source of the stated info, and especially if it's first-hand experience.

Anybody disagrees - with solid reasons?

PMs please

295/75/16

.5-1" of clearance when turning.

8518451045_64e0905fc6_c.jpg

Can the 295/75/16 fit without rubbing? At full articulation? I am asking for a 99 with stock suspension.

Thanks!

Yes. This is what came off of my truck with no lift.

285/75/r16's fit on my '99 LC with no lift.

I had the guys at discount tire throw on the 295/75/r16's and I was real uncomfortable with the tight fit. Might not have cleared at full bump with the wheel fully turned.....

since this ended up in the FAQ, can you please clarify the source of the stated info, and especially if it's first-hand experience.

Anybody disagrees - with solid reasons?

PMs please
Here is my justification as to why 285/75/r16's fit..... If im wrong, lets here why, I hope im not haha.

My assumptions:
-285/75/r16's dont rub up front with any of the OME lifts
-OME shocks do not have internal bump stops (most shocks dont)
-Factory rims
-OME lift does not relocate factory bump stops

Since all the front OME does is add stiffer spring (torsion bar) and shocks up front, lets examine where the lift comes from....

F=k*y
where,
F=force
k=spring constant (stiffer equals higher)
y=displacement

The vehicle will settle at a height where the force due to the torsion bar equals the weight supported by the front axle....higher "k" means less displacement (less droop) to achieve equilibrium. So this is where the added height comes from.

Since the OME lift does not require aftermarket Upper or Lower Control Arms (UCA/LCA) the kinematics of the suspension hasnt changed..meaning that the wheels will not travel in a different path, their extrema positions (full bump/full droop) have not been changed! The lift adds clearance, increases approach and departure angles, but it shouldnt add any travel or change any of the suspension geometry other than where the truck sits height wise...which is why we need to add the diff drop to make everything happy down there, but again, the diff drop doesnt alter the actual path that the wheel travels along.

Therefor, they fit, and they do, no rubbing on my LC :)

Please, let me know if I am wildly off hahaha.

Since all the front OME does is add stiffer spring (torsion bar) and shocks up front, lets examine where the lift comes from....

F=k*y
where,
F=force
k=spring constant (stiffer equals higher)
y=displacement

The vehicle will settle at a height where the force due to the torsion bar equals the weight supported by the front axle....higher "k" means less displacement (less droop) to achieve equilibrium. So this is where the added height comes from.

Since the OME lift does not require aftermarket Upper or Lower Control Arms (UCA/LCA) the kinematics of the suspension hasnt changed..meaning that the wheels will not travel in a different path, their extrema positions (full bump/full droop) have not been changed! The lift adds clearance, increases approach and departure angles, but it shouldnt add any travel or change any of the suspension geometry other than where the truck sits height wise...which is why we need to add the diff drop to make everything happy down there, but again, the diff drop doesnt alter the actual path that the wheel travels along.

Therefor, they fit, and they do, no rubbing on my LC :)

Please, let me know if I am wildly off hahaha.

I don't know how that has anything to do with whether or not the tires should or shouldn't fit. o_O Are you saying that the tires will also fit mildly lifted 100s? Well, yeah. They will.

I searched a gajizillion threads on this subject before I bought tires. With zero exceptions the tire sizes listed in the first post fit with no rubbing. For anyone contemplating tire sizes, that's the information that you need.

What would be helpful would be to clarify "tight fit" and "might rub." That kind of information will help people to make informed decisions about buying tires.

I don't know how that has anything to do with whether or not the tires should or shouldn't fit. o_O Are you saying that the tires will also fit mildly lifted 100s? Well, yeah. They will.

I searched a gajizillion threads on this subject before I bought tires. With zero exceptions the tire sizes listed in the first post fit with no rubbing. For anyone contemplating tire sizes, that's the information that you need.

What would be helpful would be to clarify "tight fit" and "might rub." That kind of information will help people to make informed decisions about buying tires.

Just trying to provide some hard evidence for those who dont like to just take everyones word for it, thats all! And i was bored.....
You know they will fit, I know they will fit, the rest of the regulars on the forum know they will fit....but I know that when I am searching for fit questions (for anything) I like to see something other than "Yeah they will fit"..... Can't tell you how many times I have come home with the wrong hardware...or the wrong DIA tube or something like that. Some reasoning to go along with a recommendation definitely instills confidence

I think I would just go with what 1loudLX said at the very start.

2000 TLC
No lift
Brand new BFG All Terrain tires 285/75/16
It's a little tight in the back. Measured distance from the tire to the plastic wheel well piece is 3/4"

IMG_3868.JPG

2000 TLC
No lift
Brand new BFG All Terrain tires 285/75/16
It's a little tight in the back. Measured distance from the tire to the plastic wheel well piece is 3/4"

New KO2's??? I can't wait till the "rugged" terrain BFG's the PO installed wear a bit more....

New KO2's??? I can't wait till the "rugged" terrain BFG's the PO installed wear a bit more....

Yup KO'2s. I like. Beats the heck out of the street tread I had and they fill the wheel well nicely.

285/75/r16's fit on my '99 LC with no lift.

I had the guys at discount tire throw on the 295/75/r16's and I was real uncomfortable with the tight fit. Might not have cleared at full bump with the wheel fully turned.....

Here is my justification as to why 285/75/r16's fit..... If im wrong, lets here why, I hope im not haha.

My assumptions:
-285/75/r16's dont rub up front with any of the OME lifts
-OME shocks do not have internal bump stops (most shocks dont)
-Factory rims
-OME lift does not relocate factory bump stops

Discount also said I'd have to remove front mud flaps to fit 295 Toyos. I said, no they will fit stock un-lifted. 295s are the ticket for non spacer and unlifted.

Stock front mud flap clearance on 295s.
image.jpg

FACT...
My wife currently runs 285/75 16" on factory 16" wheels. Her rig is a completely stock 1998 LC (in need of some new shocks).
Lock to lock and full compression, no problems.

Coming from 1loudLX and with so many posts over so many years, this begs the question, "Why are you asking?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom