Yellowbox Speedometer Correction Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The first thing I did to my LX470 when I bought it a few months back was put new tires on it. I went with 275/70r18 Cooper AT3s. They're great tires, but I wasn't crazy about how my speedo was now showing 4-5 mph slower than my actual speed on the highway.

I started researching all of the different options out there to see if somebody made something that was "plug-n-play" for the 100-series. I generally prefer to avoid cutting into factory wiring harnesses if I can avoid it.

I saw that Yellow Box was offering their device for purchase "with Custom Plug-n-play wiring harness". I e-mailed them to find out if they had one that would fit my vehicle. They sent over a couple of pics of their "Toyota" harness and I was able to confirm that yes, it should fit. So I ordered it and about a week and a half later, it showed up in my mailbox (not bad from Australia).

You get the Yellow Box, a universal harness, and (if you order it) your PnP harness. The box is very simple and tough looking. It just has 2 buttons that you use to adjust the correction ratio up or down. It's really easy very easy to set up.

The v5 Yellow Box:
9vH6ptzl.jpg

W00mLwGl.jpg

With the PnP harness:
Gq1Rwall.jpg

The PnP harness attaches to the speed sensor plug coming directly off the transaxle. I did the initial testing by plugging it in and then running the cord all the way around to inside the cabin through the drivers door. I just gently shut the door on the cable and that seemed to work ok.

This is the plug you want coming off the left side of the rear of the transaxle:
2uSDhvil.jpg

4TpOBryl.jpg

The question then became where to mount it? I initially wanted to somehow route it inside the cabin. But after looking for a while, I couldn't see a way to do that. The other issue was that the yellow box itself doesn't have smooth side surfaces, so I wasn't going to be able to attach it directly to anything under the car.

I went over to radioshack and picked up a 3x2x1 project box. The Yellow Box fit inside of it nicely. I cut a hole in the side with my dremel for the molex connector, put everything inside (with a couple of strips of foam tape to prevent rattles) and sealed it up with Toyota FIPG.

I then got some of the black silicone sealant/adhesive (not the RTV) because I wasn't sure if FIPG would work as an adhesive. I mounted the box to a flat spot on the underbody up above/behind the crossmember and put some masking tape on to hold it in place while it cured. I wound up the excess cable, zip tied it, then zip tied that to one of the hoses running along the cross-member (that way if the adhesive fails, the zip ties should catch it), and then plugged in the harness.

Plugged in:
Naswsiyl.jpg

Mounted to the underbody:
fZRhQ3bl.jpg

Another angle where you can see the cables a bit more:
TIUaFAYl.jpg

I came back out to check on the mount this morning and it appears to be very firmly attached to the body, so I'm calling this one good to go. It's a pretty easy project and doesn't involve any cutting of factory harnesses.

If anybody has any ideas about how to route it up into the center console (my original intention), I'm all ears.

Last edited:
wow, nice. Ive been wanting to do something like this. Same like your self though I would like to mount it inside.

Wow, that's awesome. They've come a long way since the version I installed on my 80 - wire splicing and all. You should be able to pull the console and go through the floor right there. Get a rubber grommet for water protection.

Nice! I just ordered one of these.

I had the same one on my 80, worked great. I will eventually get one for the 100 as well.

I would like to see a better design of the wiring / plug that connects to the transfer case, but it seems to work ok. I haven't gone through any deep water however.

Wow, that's awesome. They've come a long way since the version I installed on my 80 - wire splicing and all. You should be able to pull the console and go through the floor right there. Get a rubber grommet for water protection.

This is exactly what I did. It worked out great. With regearing and running 34" tires, my speed was way off. Now it is prefectly calibrated with my GPS.

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Just ordered, thanks for the write-up.

I've not even bought new tires yet, but that's coming soon enough, figure I might as well have this on hand...

Have any of you noticed a lag in the reading on the speedometer with the Yellow Box installed? Hard to tell when accelerating, but when I come to a stop, it takes a couple seconds for the speedometer to drop down to 0 MPH. This isn't a big deal, so mostly I'm just curious if this is normal.

^ I've had mine on my 80 for almost two years and haven't noticed this. Don't know if this means anything for a 100 though.

This is exactly what I did. It worked out great. With regearing and running 34" tires, my speed was way off. Now it is prefectly calibrated with my GPS.

SanDiegoCruiser, can you provide a few more pics showing where/how you ran that up inside from underneath the body? Thanks.

I have been running these for years. They will make custom length cables if you ask with no up charge. Their standard length is 1.6m if I remember correctly. If you want to mount it in the cab without cutting a hole, you will need around 3m, just depending upon where you want to mount it. You can get away with 2.0m if you want to mount it in the cab. Just a little FYI.

Have any of you noticed a lag in the reading on the speedometer with the Yellow Box installed? Hard to tell when accelerating, but when I come to a stop, it takes a couple seconds for the speedometer to drop down to 0 MPH. This isn't a big deal, so mostly I'm just curious if this is normal.

Are you sure it's calibrated correctly? I had that issue when I was trying to dial it in, but once I got everything 100% right, it went away.

Can anyone verify the necessary plug-and-play harness length for mounting the yellow box in the passenger compartment? What route and location are you using? I see mention of 1.6M, 3M.

This thread helped me out so I thought I'd bump it with a little info from my install.

I ordered it a few weeks ago and asked for a 2m plug and play harness. It arrived yesterday so I climbed under my rig to see if I could get it installed. I was going to snake it under the steps (temporary reinstalled for prego wife) in through the door when I noticed a gasket with a wire running through it. After further inspection its the wire that provides power to the lights on the side steps on my LX. I pulled the driver door entry trim, the dead pedal, and the plastic trim that conceals wires next to the dead pedal and pulled up the carpet a little to access the gasket. This is what I saw.

I sliced a hole in the grommet and pushed the molex connector through. I had enough wire space to be able to plug in the yellow box and hold it comfortably in my hand while driving to make the needed adjustments. I buttoned back up the trim pieces (except the dead pedal, couldn't get the tabs lined up) with the wire hanging out the bottom of the vertical plastic. Right now I plan to finish fine tuning the speedo then zip tie up the cable and stash it behind that trim plate next to the dead pedal. It'll be out of the weather and easy enough to access should I need to make further adjustments.

I had kind of thought I'd drill a hole and bring the wire up under the center console but this was a much better solution for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom