Yellowbox Speedometer Correction Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have any of you noticed a lag in the reading on the speedometer with the Yellow Box installed? Hard to tell when accelerating, but when I come to a stop, it takes a couple seconds for the speedometer to drop down to 0 MPH. This isn't a big deal, so mostly I'm just curious if this is normal.

^ I've had mine on my 80 for almost two years and haven't noticed this. Don't know if this means anything for a 100 though.

I had an older revision on my 80 w/ 4.88s. I noticed a small bit of speedometer lag that only seemed to be an issue in certain conditions when in cruise control. The lag would sometimes cause a small speed oscillation as the speed controller fought with the lag. I didn't have the cruise issue prior to install, but I since sold the vehicle and didn't try to remove to make sure this was indeed the root cause. In reality, nobody noticed in the car but me, but I am just ultra-sensitive to that since I do vehicle calibration for a living.

Anyone else have a similar experience on either a 80 or 100? maybe the newer versions fixed the lag?

I had an older revision on my 80 w/ 4.88s. I noticed a small bit of speedometer lag that only seemed to be an issue in certain conditions when in cruise control. The lag would sometimes cause a small speed oscillation as the speed controller fought with the lag. I didn't have the cruise issue prior to install, but I since sold the vehicle and didn't try to remove to make sure this was indeed the root cause. In reality, nobody noticed in the car but me, but I am just ultra-sensitive to that since I do vehicle calibration for a living.

Anyone else have a similar experience on either a 80 or 100? maybe the newer versions fixed the lag?

Well son-of-a-jackal, you know I do have that oscillation when in cruise. I didn't notice it until last year on our road trip. Didn't even think of the Yellowbox until your statement. I always thought the servo was going out or something was wrong with the control itself. Very intuitive, thank you. I'll see if I can remember to test it out on of these days.

Just installed mine after dropping from a 315 to a 285 tire. Speedo and odo were off about 6-7%.

Have the v5, plug & play, and ordered it with a 2m controller cable. Wrapped visible wires under truck with 3M tape, and covered all with loom. Came in through driver floor drain plug, and mounted it above driver fuse block. Quick access for future adjustments.

Simple install, simple adjustment, fair price. Highly recommended.

Thanks to all on this thread for the help.

is this adjustable of you choose to change tire sizes?

thanks @TexasCrane . Just ordered one! I never had an issue with me actually going faster than the vehicle showing before re-gearing, but now that I am showing going faster than I actually am, and racking up more miles than actual I needed to nip that in the butt real quick!

Getting ready to install my Yellowbox. I'm running 270/75 r18's on my LX 18" wheels. Anybody know off the top of their head the correction ratio to set the box to? Or is it vehicle specific and i'll just have to dial it in to my truck?

^thansk- got a ratio of -6.5 based off that. Ended up on -6.7 on the yellow box and it's pretty close to perfect. Maybe a mile low at 75mph. Might try -6.6 and see if it's closer.

finalllllyyyyyyy installed this after having it for 3 months, I know, I am ashamed of myself. Anyways, I am not sure I am adjusting it correctly. I ran it up through my center console. Is it supoposed to be adjustable on the fly while in motion or just while stopped? I am running 4.88 with 305, and my speedo shows me going about 5 miles faster than I actually am. Thanks for the input.

You should be able to put it into programming mode, while stopped, by pressing both + & - buttons for 5 seconds & lights flicker. You may be able to adjust while moving, but I think you have to put it into programming mode while stopped.

By my guesstimates and math:
305/65R18 tire adjustment ~7.8% (speedo lower)
4.88 (on a 98-02) gear adjustment ~13.5% (speedo higher)

Adjustment 13.5-7.8=5.7 (speedo higher)​

If my memory and math is correct, this would mean your correction should be around 105.7%, which would read flashed as 10570 on the yellowbox.

What correction ratio does your unit show (via LED flashes) when stopped?
(red quick flashes = number, separated by red long flashes = next digit, for a total of five digits)

Last edited:
thanks for the infor @jLB ! I am going to get home after work and try this tonight! Standby for feedback.

You should be able to put it into programming mode, while stopped, by pressing both + & - buttons for 5 seconds & lights flicker. You may be able to adjust while moving, but I think you have to put it into programming mode while stopped.

By my guesstimates and math:
305/65R18 tire adjustment ~7.8% (speedo lower)
4.88 (on a 98-02) gear adjustment ~13.5% (speedo higher)

Adjustment 13.5-7.8=5.7 (speedo higher)​

If my memory and math is correct, this would mean your correction should be around 105.7%, which would read flashed as 10570 on the yellowbox.

What correction ratio does your unit show (via LED flashes) when stopped?
(red quick flashes = number, separated by red long flashes = next digit, for a total of five digits)
I screwed this thing up some how. Now it reads appx 7 mph slow. The ratio reads 13328. Should I be pressing the + or minus to get it where it should be?

It's going to take some pressing (and holding) of the "-" to get back toward 100.00% (10000 or no adjustment)

A long hold of the adjustment button should increment by 1% per sec. A quick press should adjust by 0.01%

Last edited:
Ahhhhh!!! Gotcha. Is there a proper way to take it out of the calibration mode?

If I remember correctly, you wait for 5 seconds for the yellowbox to save the correction change, then cycle power to get it out of programming mode...

Got it dialed in!!! That is for all the help @jLB !

Well son-of-a-jackal, you know I do have that oscillation when in cruise. I didn't notice it until last year on our road trip. Didn't even think of the Yellowbox until your statement. I always thought the servo was going out or something was wrong with the control itself. Very intuitive, thank you. I'll see if I can remember to test it out on of these days.

Bumping an older thread as I just installed my yellowbox today. I noticed a lag when stopping before the gauge reads "0", despite being stopped for 2-3 seconds. The opposite occurs when taking off from a stop. 2-3 into travel before it picks up. Is this what you both were experiencing? And with the cruise control issue, were your speeds actually varying or just the reading on the gauge? I used cruise to hold my speed constant while making adjustment and noticed no issues but would be concerned if they came up. I'm a cruisecontrolaholic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom