Yellowbox Speedometer Correction Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That reminds me to install mine. Only had it in the Australian envelope for a year or so...DUH!!

I'm about to buy one of these for my 1998 Lexus LX470 after changing from 275/70R16 tyres to Cooper ST Maxx 285/75R16 tyres.

But I'm concerned about reports of lag. That just isn't good, as the speedo on the LX470 has been very responsive and precise with the standard tyres and no correction device.

So, do all you people using a Yellow Box still experience lag, or did it go away after adjustment?

There was a little bit of lag I guess but unless you're running a gps speedometer for comparison you wouldn't know it. It's maybe a second, so as you're accelerating anyway you're going to be seeing it move until you stop giving throttle. It does take about a second to settle at zero when stopped.

Fwiw, yellow box is sending me a new unit. We couldn't isolate the issue but after about 6 months my speedometer starting dying on the road and throwing the engine light and vsc light. I replaced my vss and same issue. Consistently, disconnecting the yellow box gave me reliable speedometer, even if it was off in terms of indicated speed.

It took me over a month to get them to send a new unit as they were so surprised there might have been a failure that they had me do all kinds of tests and diagnostics to confirm. I'm still waiting on the new one about 2-3 weeks after they said they'd send it.

Fwiw, yellow box is sending me a new unit. We couldn't isolate the issue but after about 6 months my speedometer starting dying on the road and throwing the engine light and vsc light. I replaced my vss and same issue. Consistently, disconnecting the yellow box gave me reliable speedometer, even if it was off in terms of indicated speed.

It took me over a month to get them to send a new unit as they were so surprised there might have been a failure that they had me do all kinds of tests and diagnostics to confirm. I'm still waiting on the new one about 2-3 weeks after they said they'd send it.

Dang. Your other posts made me think to get one as well.

FWIW, they told me that they were behind on production and my order (a week ago) would be a few weeks instead of the usual 7-10 days.

Have my new one in hand, still debating if it’s worth taking the time to install as I’m only about 5.5% off. Good to know about the minimal delay.
EDIT: Trying to get any answers through their customer service was long and left a lot to be desired.

I'd run it again, assuming I had a fluke fault in mine. I was off over 5% but that accuracy is a big deal to me in monitoring my mileage and ultimately the health of my truck.

I'd run it again, assuming I had a fluke fault in mine. I was off over 5% but that accuracy is a big deal to me in monitoring my mileage and ultimately the health of my truck.
Wonder if it’s still worth it if I plan on throwing my stock rims and tires on during the winter season? If so, would you just unplug it and plug the stock connection back in? Also, I’m assuming it would need to be re-programmed back in the spring when I put my RW’s back on.
Apologies to OP if I’m hi jacking, if so, I’ll remove my post.

Yup, you just plug in your stock connector if you switch to stock sizes. You won't need to reprogram when you plug the box back in later on, it'll store the settings as far I know.

Yup, you just plug in your stock connector if you switch to stock sizes. You won't need to reprogram when you plug the box back in later on, it'll store the settings as far I know.
Gotcha, thanks. Assuming there is internal battery storage on these. These were questions I sent Yellowbox but they never responded.

I don't believe there's a battery, it just saves the data. I imagine it's a similar deal to how your odometer stores total mileage even if the power is lost.

I'm about to buy one of these for my 1998 Lexus LX470 after changing from 275/70R16 tyres to Cooper ST Maxx 285/75R16 tyres.

But I'm concerned about reports of lag. That just isn't good, as the speedo on the LX470 has been very responsive and precise with the standard tyres and no correction device.

So, do all you people using a Yellow Box still experience lag, or did it go away after adjustment?

I have lag. I don't notice it on daily driving but I think it causes the slight throttle surge/release that I get when trying to use cruise control on road trips. It actually makes me nauseous and I'm not the type to get motion sickness.

Well, I'm at a theoretical 5.4% over the indicated speed on the speedo. My actual observed difference is more like 10%, probably because my old tyres had no tread on them! About 10% i.e. I'm doing 66Km/h when the speedo indicates 60 Km/h.

In Australia, that is enough to get you a lot of speeding tickets, and quickly lose your licence. So I need to do something.

I've been using my GPS, but it has a lag of about a second, maybe two, and that is just too long. If the Yellow Box has a lag of one second that is too long as well. I have a SpeedHealer on my motorcycle and it has zero observable lag. But I don't think that unit is suitable for my truck.

MongooseGA, I'll be interested to hear how you go with a replacement.

I think I shall investigate where Yellow Box is actually located, because they are in Australia somewhere, correct? Their website seems aimed at secrecy! privacy.

PS: JWick, the unit would have what is called "non-volatile RAM", which means the memory is retained without a battery. Not forever, but for a very long time.

I've been running a Yellowbox for about a year now and it works great. My speed is right on. I'm OCD about things being correct so I couldn't leave the speedometer off with bigger tires, it drove me nuts. I have not noted any speedometer lag or cruise control difficulty at all. It's an easy install too.

Chris

Well, I'm at a theoretical 5.4% over the indicated speed on the speedo. My actual observed difference is more like 10%, probably because my old tyres had no tread on them! About 10% i.e. I'm doing 66Km/h when the speedo indicates 60 Km/h.

In Australia, that is enough to get you a lot of speeding tickets, and quickly lose your licence. So I need to do something.

I've been using my GPS, but it has a lag of about a second, maybe two, and that is just too long. If the Yellow Box has a lag of one second that is too long as well. I have a SpeedHealer on my motorcycle and it has zero observable lag. But I don't think that unit is suitable for my truck.

MongooseGA, I'll be interested to hear how you go with a replacement.

I think I shall investigate where Yellow Box is actually located, because they are in Australia somewhere, correct? Their website seems aimed at secrecy! privacy.

PS: JWick, the unit would have what is called "non-volatile RAM", which means the memory is retained without a battery. Not forever, but
I've been running a Yellowbox for about a year now and it works great. My speed is right on. I'm OCD about things being correct so I couldn't leave the speedometer off with bigger tires, it drove me nuts. I have not noted any speedometer lag or cruise control difficulty at all. It's an easy install too.

Chris
Hey Chris, out of curiosity, where did you run your Yellowbox?

I ran it up through the floor plug on the driver's side under the carpet and put the yellowbox unit behind the trim panel near the foot rest after setting it.

20180306_145139.jpg
20180306_145209.jpg
20180306_145626.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, particularly your positive experience Chris.

Also thanks for the extra photos. I would be a little concerned about the cable hanging down like that though. It may get caught on something, or just get destroyed by stones. In Australia at least.

I'm going to try to ask Yellow Box about possible lag, and if the result is satisfactory, order one.

That wire is way up under the body and above the frame, right against the floor. I think you'd be doing some serious damage to the body to get something up there to catch the cable, although I guess anything is possible (maybe a branch?) I suppose small stones could get tossed in there from the tires but I think the chance of damage from that is pretty small.

Although mine is primarily driven on paved roads, I have taken up up some horrible roads and rocks but I have no idea what you drive over on a regular basis.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom