Panhard Rod Correction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
My rear suspension is only lifted 3/4” so I naturally figured that my panhard rod would be nearly level. I was a little surprised when I measured a 3” difference from bolt to bolt. Level makes intuitive sense but it’s not the way Toyota designed it. I’m curious to know what I would notice, if anything, were I to “correct” the panhard rod by leveling it.

While I’m on the subject, does anyone other than TT fabricate an adjustable panhard rod?

Last edited:
Yup, I understand. Two separate questions.
You will notice less "sway" in the rear end. Good example is going over a speed bump where there is quick up and down of the axle. Detailed explanation in first post of this thread: Delta Vehicle Systems Panhard Lift Bracket, 3" & 5" - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/delta-vehicle-systems-panhard-lift-bracket-3-5.1085308/

Keep in mind the effect and feeling is stronger in an 80 (LHD) where the front and rear panhards are going in opposite directions so as the suspension cycles the body actually rotates a little bit.

Reactions: GTV
Also, I believe @eimkeith makes weld-on brackets for the 100 / LX470. Good quality, laser-cut pieces and pricing is very reasonable. I have them on my 80.

Also, I believe @eimkeith makes weld-on brackets for the 100 / LX470. Good quality, laser-cut pieces and pricing is very reasonable. I have them on my 80.
Yes sir. @eimkeith is a great option. Im run one of his my 200 and it's awesome. He donated several sets for the 100 and 200 to the Cruisers on the Rocks raffle last year and they are impressive :steer:

You will notice less "sway" in the rear end. Good example is going over a speed bump where there is quick up and down of the axle. Detailed explanation in first post of this thread: Delta Vehicle Systems Panhard Lift Bracket, 3" & 5" - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/delta-vehicle-systems-panhard-lift-bracket-3-5.1085308/

Keep in mind the effect and feeling is stronger in an 80 (LHD) where the front and rear panhards are going in opposite directions so as the suspension cycles the body actually rotates a little bit.

Hey Dave, this is Zach. I was with Ryan when we all met up in Warren last year.

I understand what the function of correcting the panhard rod angle is. From what I'm measuring it's already at an angle brand new from Toyota, it is not flat. A stock vehicle would need a roughly 2 1/4" correction to be level. So why is achieving a level panhard the goal?

That makes a lot of sense on an 80 series. Probably why they are much more common on that platform.

My rear suspension is only lifted 3/4” so I naturally figured that my panhard rod would be nearly level. I was a little surprised when I measured a 3” difference from bolt to bolt. Level makes intuitive sense but it’s not the way Toyota designed it. I’m curious to know what I would notice, if anything, were I to “correct” the panhard rod by leveling it.

While I’m on the subject, does anyone other than TT fabricate an adjustable panhard rod?

Toyota has to make an educated guess about how much load the typical customer is going to carry and go with that. A full tank, cargo, and kids in the back is going to be a completely different height scenario than empty and unladen.

Additionally -and I'm not sure this applies to the 100 series platform, but it very well might - previous series/models did not have separate part numbers for the rear axle and panhard bars between the 2wd and 4wd variants, so what was relatively flat on the 2wd base model was significantly angled on the higher ride height 4WD variant.

The assumption that Toyota engineers are designing for specific, individual platforms and use cases in specific markets isn't necessarily correct - especially when using a common undercarriage under several different models nowadays.

This video explains a lot. The goal isn't level at ride height, it's level at half travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom