Yeah, another LS swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddingcruiser

Practicing for retirement
Threads
Starting a new project for a friend and working towards going legit with the shop (that's the 'practicing for retirement' part in my signature). The good news is this is already a really nice looking rig that's been in number of local car shows but it does get used off road, and this year's Rubithon will be his first trip across the Rubicon. I've been plugging away on this particular 40 for a few years doing upgrades to the brakes, ARBs, suspension, tire carrier, etc. He finally decided to ditch the old, overheating throttle-body SBC and tired TH350. He's putting a freshly built 6.0 and 4L65e and we'll upgrade the radiator, P/S cooler and trans cooler. We'll clean up a bunch of stuff under the hood like brake lines, wiring, battery location and the ABR compressor setup. Underneath we'll clean up probably 35 years of a ghastly brackets, plates and hideous welds, and add a new rear crossmember/transmission support. He's also adding a new rear gas tank with internal fuel pump to replace the old one and new fuel lines. As much as possible we'll be using AN fittings and braided hose for reliability, and the cool factor.

He's keeping the stock t-case for now, with an Orion or split case planned sometime down the road.

That's my son's 40 on the lift getting tube fenders.
Old SBC 1.jpeg
Old SBC 2.jpeg

Parts are piling up.
New LS 4.jpeg
New LS 7.jpeg

May I ask about the cooling on the conversion? I have my LS3 shipping this week and searching for suggestions on the radiator and fan (size and manual vs electric push/pull). Also heard the standard PS pump on the LS3 puts out too much pressure for the saginaw box - any info/suggestions?

Thanks from another Redding TLC owner :) !

May I ask about the cooling on the conversion? I have my LS3 shipping this week and searching for suggestions on the radiator and fan (size and manual vs electric push/pull). Also heard the standard PS pump on the LS3 puts out too much pressure for the saginaw box - any info/suggestions?

Thanks from another Redding TLC owner :) !

Are you passing my secrets on to Jason? ;)

The fan shroud is one I designed and have used for years. A friend fabs them for me and it includes an upper and lower pan to supports a 19'x26' radiator, I have also used up to a 19"x28" radiator, though the headlight buckets on the early 40's present an issue with the wider radiator and need to be modified OR need to be replaced with the late model mounting that does not use buckets.

As for running the trans cooling through radiator - I'm not a fan (pun intended). On a trail rig all I want the radiator to do is cool the engine. This setup uses the OEM fan and clutch, and pulls more than enough air through to do the job. Almost any aftermarket radiator will require an adjustment of the lower inlet to align with the water pump and keep the lower radiator hose away from the shock tower.

This picture is my original prototype I still use in my 40, and originally used with my 5.7 TBI. Some things have changed, now I use all aluminum rather than powder-coated steel and I leave the top and bottom support tabs off since installations vary from time to time, and I add as needed.

As for running the trans cooling through radiator - I'm not a fan (pun intended). On a trail rig all I want the radiator to do is cool the engine. This setup pull enough air through to do the job and provides plenty of air under the hood.

New Engine Finished 2.jpg

As for reducing the LS3 P/S pump pressure, there are options. Check out these options from your favorite performance parts supplier:

Borgeson Universal Power Steering Pump Pressure-Reducing Kit, or

March Performance Power Steering Pump Pressure Regulator Kit

Thank you. I won't be running a trans cooler - NV4500 already purchased. The PS cooler can sit in front of the radiator. Will plan for an aluminum radiator and have a custom shroud made. I'm not a huge advocate of electric fan(s), so good to know the OEM will work.

would you mind sharing the paint code of your son's 40
I believe at I have the same paint color but do not have the code.

FJ40.jpg

To be clear, my son's 40 is the one on the lift, and I don't think you want that paint code ;). However, my buddies color is very close to yours. I'll ask him.

Nice Cruiser, by the way.

Thanks for looking in to it for me.

Cleaned up the frame, getting it ready for the LS upgrade.

Frame 1.jpg
Frame 2.jpg
Frame 5.jpg

The new LS sitting in it's new home.
Engine 4.jpg
Engine 1.jpg

The new fuel tank arrived last week. Customer's choice, very nice craftmanship!
Gas Tank 1.jpg
Gas Tank 2.jpg

Wife and I took a road trip to Rapid City, SD and look what showed up in the parking lot at our hotel. Nice little '73. Anyone know the owner?
20200620_210550.jpg

You guys are really making me wonder about my choice of a NV4500 over a 4L65e... :bang::zilla::deadhorse:

You guys are really making me wonder about my choice of a NV4500 over a 4L65e... :bang::zilla::deadhorse:

I have nothing against a manual trans, I just prefer an automatic transmission. I drove trucks for about 13 years when I was younger and could care less if I ever shift another gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom