Worth it? HP in '06 and up (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this point in time, limiting your search to only 06 & 07 models gives you a fairly small pool to chose from, especially if you're one of those people that have to have a "sombrero" instead of an "L":

100 series Production Numbers for the USA

If it were me, I'd widen my search to include all 5spd models, and if you happen to find an 06 or 07, that's great, but I wouldn't bypass a good 03-05 just to wait for an 06 or 07.

It's interesting that the large drop in sales coincides with the introduction of the Sequoia. I suspect we would have a much larger pool of cruisers to choose from without the big tree.

It's interesting that the large drop in sales coincides with the introduction of the Sequoia. I suspect we would have a much larger pool of cruisers to choose from without the big tree.

I suspect the drop in 2001, and the shift to more LXs than LCs, has a lot to do with the introduction of the Sequoia, which would be more attractive to the typical "soccer mom" (bigger, cheaper, and not limited to full time 4wd).

I suspect the drop in 2006 & 2007 had a little to do with the end of the model run, and a lot to do with gas prices reaching ~$3 a gallon.

Last edited:
Went through similar decisions 6 months ago, at least as far as selling a triple locked 80 and replacing with a 100 series. I have not had drive time with a 5.7L so I don't know what I'm missing there - best not to know. Personally I feel the 80 is better looking than the 100 and the 100 better looking than the 200, not that the 200 looks bad. Just my order of preference. In my opinion, I preferred the size and appearance of the 100 series - and it's obviously cheaper. Having become set on a 100, I convinced myself I had to get the 06+ for extra power, the slight appearance modifications, and just that they are the newest 100's you can get and somewhat less common. I needed a Land Cruiser, not Lexus - I realize many of these choices aren't necessarily logical but I wanted what I wanted. I found it and so can you, plenty for sale if patient and willing to search a large geographic area. I did also add headers and exhaust right away, I don't know how much quicker it made it but I do know my 100 feels plenty fast in all situations.

I've heard more people say the 5 speed is a must than I have heard saying VVTi is a must, and those that own both 5 speed non-VVTi and those with VVTi seems to have mixed feedback - either "not that big a difference" or "must get VVTi). If towing over 3K fairly often I think there is stronger feedback that VVTi is a big benefit.

Things added in 2006, per Slee:
Interior

• The cruise control system was changed to keep the vehicle’s set speed in its memory even if the vehicle dropped below the low-speed limit.
Exterior

• The design of the headlights and the grille where changed.
  • The design of the rear combination lights where changed.
  • The rear spoiler was introduced as optional equipment.
  • The taillight and stop light bulbs where changed to LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes).
Drivetrain

• 2UZ-FE Engine- The VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent), ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System), and AI (Air Injection) system are added to the 2UZ-FE engine to achieve a greater performance level and reduce exhaust emissions.
  • Active Height Control Suspension (AHC) is introduced as optional equipment.
  • The Brake Control System was updated (ABS with EBD, Brake Assist, A-TRAC and VSC System).
  • Tire Pressure Warning System is added.

2003-2005
235HP @ 4800 RPM
320 lb ft @ 3400 RPM

2006-2007
275HP @ 5400 RPM
332 lb ft @ 3400 RPM

Typically, torque is measured, and horsepower is calculated.

Horsepower = (Torque * RPM)/5252​

By reversing the calculation, we see:​

2003-2005 is producing 257.13 lb ft @ 4800 RPM
2006-2007 is producing 267.46 lb ft @ 5400 RPM​

As I stated in my original post the VVTI breathes a little better at the top of the RPM band. At the peak of the torque curve (3400RPM) it's a 12 lb ft (3.75%) difference. VVTI is a nice to have, but by no means a "must have". Neither make much of a drag racer.

I'd take a well kept 2005 over a beat to hell 2006 every time. All things being equal I'd choose the 2006/2007 over the 2003-2005.

Then again, you've got those that get concerned, that a VVTI is allegedly an "interference engine" while the non-VVTI is allegedly "not an interference engine"

Last edited:
I drove this (about 3100#'s with gear/food/no water):

Trailer.jpg

Over this and back (~2200 miles):

SNAG-0011.jpg

With this: 2006 LX470 - bumpers, drawers, sliders and alum skids - 2 adult males

Definitely knew it was back there all day but had zero concerns with power. On some of the really steep stuff I did go lighter on the pedal just to keep the RPM's under 4K and find a nice cruising speed up hill but if I kept my foot in it it would just keep accelerating. I've towed various things over the years (boats, medium sized buggies on trailers) with large(r) trucks so I have a pretty good frame of reference and the LX was working hard but was never over-worked. I've only test driven a 570 for ~30 miles and it was really nice but it just didn't have the feel and vision that my 470 has. My 470 is a fat pig compared to my buddies Tacoma that I spent some time wheeling so I can't imagine a loaded 200 out there! I also do all my own work and it seems the consensus is that it is still easier with the 100 than the 200 (not sure how true that is). Found the full electronic FSM and EWD for the '06 LX for $20 too!

Full biased disclosure here: I love this truck and have every intention of keeping it forever. I have told my wife that it is my forever vehicle, we will maintain/fix/replace whatever is necessary. Forever.

Cheers,
rjones

Last edited:
I drove this (about 3100#'s with gear/food/no water):

View attachment 1756122

Over this and back (~2200 miles):

View attachment 1756200

With this: 2006 LX470 - bumpers, drawers, sliders and alum skids - 2 adult males

Definitely knew it was back there all day but had zero concerns with power. On some of the really steep stuff I did go lighter on the pedal just to keep the RPM's under 4K and find a nice cruising speed up hill but if I kept my foot in it it would just keep accelerating. I've towed various things over the years (boats, medium sized buggies on trailers) with large(r) trucks so I have a pretty good frame of reference and the LX was working hard but was never over-worked. I've only test driven a 570 for ~30 miles and it was really nice but it just didn't have the feel and vision that my 470 has. My 470 is a fat pig compared to my buddies Tacoma that I spent some time wheeling so I can't imagine a loaded 200 out there! I also do all my own work and it seems the consensus is that it is still easier with the 100 than the 200 (not sure how true that is). Found the full electronic FSM and EWD for the '06 LX for $20 too!

Full biased disclosure here: I love this truck and have every intention of keeping it forever. I have told my wife that it is my forever vehicle, we will maintain/fix/replace whatever is necessary. Forever.

Cheers,
rjones

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your pop up weight. We plan on buying Winnebago 2100bh trailer and i came up with a safe weight of 4000 or less. Feel much better :)

I have had 1st Gen Tundys with both the V6 & 4.7l V8 as in the 100.

I have had an 80.

I have had the 5.7 Beast Mode Tundra DC 2wd and drove the piss out of it.

I now have the '06 100 and an '01 V8 Tundra 4wd which has the earlier motor and 4 speed tranny.

I have honestly loved them all!

The 80 is just plain underpowered for cross country highway use and many times I could not keep up with other traffic going the speed limit in the mountains.
This really did little to taint me to its charms overall but it did suck in the mountains.

The 5.7 is simply a BEAST really!
I have driven a lot of trucks and right now have a Ford 6.2l F250 4x4 Rental from an insurance thing and the 5.7 seemed a lot more responsive to me. I drove that one on several long trips to Colorado and it is one that I wish I had kept honestly despite the platform it was on. For me the SUV version would have been better either the Sequoia or LC but both are pretty much out of my price range.
The Ford I have is a 50k truck and it is mildly terrifying to drive around and I can not imagine how they made it both so nice and so uncomfortable to sit in at the same time?

The V8 Tundy is a keeper for life for me probably,it just does so many things so well and has not been a single trouble in 150K somehow,NEVER!

I tow a Casita Fiberglass RV that is pretty heavy for its size and have tugged that thing and many other trailers all over the place with the Tundra and have no real complaints,sure the 5.7 would be a nice step up in power to have kept but I also towed everything with the 3.5l Tundra and had no real trouble there either,the 4.7 just makes it all easier in the end.

The LC 100 is Just Right for me!
Plenty of guts and the refined ride and handling I have not been able to find elsewhere so far.
The LC seems to tow just fine,maybe not as easy as the 1st gen Tundra but only time will let me know this for sure.

The 5.7l Tundra was just too honking huge for me as a DD and to remain useful all of my cars have to be able to fill multiple roles......well maybe other than the Sprinter?

So my advice is just drive them all and decide which calls to you,for me the 100 is the easy choice but I do miss the Beast Mode of the 5.7 too.

I have owned several 100 series and now have an 06 LX470. Regularly during the summer pull a #5000 boat. I would say Im border line at its max with the 06 for hills. It can pull a 7% grade and if slowed down it will pick back up with time something the non VVTI was not capable of. Like said earlier the HP of the VVTI shows up when higher RPM is used.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is that "flattest route" thing you have there? I have been wanting something like that since the minute I started towing a camper.

Flattest Route

It's a little buggy for autos as I think the original developer created it for cycling but if you play around a bit with it (zoom in to drag and change the route you want instead of the shortest, go into Inspect Mode in Chrome and you can change some of the CSS settings live to re-size stuff, etc) you can generally get what you're after. Works best on shorter trips but hey, it's free.

Hijack Over.

Cheers,
rjones

I've had an '85 60, '97 LX450 (triple locked - I did all the work), and now a '06 LX470.

The 80 looks the best.

The 100 is my favorite, although I've only had it for 3 months. It is the smoothest, fastest, most secure...and I can still work on it.

I haven't driven the 200 or Tundras.

I am totally satisfied. I'll see how it handles in the Maine winters with snow tires before full acceptance.

Thanks for all the great replies.

After now 4+ months of searching I think I am going to broaden my search a little to include the '05s. The truck will spend 99% of it's time doing DD duties anyway.

About the 200 - I've now driven a few both of he LX and LC variety.

I couldn't put my finger on what I felt was "wrong" with them until I recently drove a 2018 4Runner, Tacoma, Camry, and Corolla of the same year: Nothing feels as thoughtful anymore in the vehicles.
- Brake feel across the board is terrible, all of them way too grabby
- Gas pedal feel and linear acceleration is too jumpy (I assume this is because it's all drive by wire now - I miss my throttle cable)
- Personal preference is I don't like looking at computer screens all day and now all cars seem to come with them (one in the LX now is HUGE)
- One of the first things I told my wife about the Tundra vs the 80 was that the Tundra feels flimsy in comparison. I understand though completely different build quality and that extends even into the new iterations of the 200's

This is turning into sort of a sob story (boohoo) but I told my wife there's no good choices among cars anymore.

Moral of the (sob) story: I guess I should look at 40's as well? :idea:

Thanks for all the great replies.

After now 4+ months of searching I think I am going to broaden my search a little to include the '05s. The truck will spend 99% of it's time doing DD duties anyway.

About the 200 - I've now driven a few both of he LX and LC variety.

I couldn't put my finger on what I felt was "wrong" with them until I recently drove a 2018 4Runner, Tacoma, Camry, and Corolla of the same year: Nothing feels as thoughtful anymore in the vehicles.
- Brake feel across the board is terrible, all of them way too grabby
- Gas pedal feel and linear acceleration is too jumpy (I assume this is because it's all drive by wire now - I miss my throttle cable)
- Personal preference is I don't like looking at computer screens all day and now all cars seem to come with them (one in the LX now is HUGE)
- One of the first things I told my wife about the Tundra vs the 80 was that the Tundra feels flimsy in comparison. I understand though completely different build quality and that extends even into the new iterations of the 200's

This is turning into sort of a sob story (boohoo) but I told my wife there's no good choices among cars anymore.

Moral of the (sob) story: I guess I should look at 40's as well? :idea:

I would highly recommend looking at anything years with the 5 speed and then just seek to acquire a used TRD supercharger for the 3-5k they seem to cost. You will save a TON by going to an 03-05. The two biggest pluses on the 06-07 are the HP and the look. You can buy both and install them and still have a ton of money in your pocket from the cost savings. I just find it really difficult to justify the premium the 06-07 command.

Look up ranma21 for Depo 1 piece headlight ~$350 shipped. Ebay for a 06-07 style grille ~100-150. Forums for the supercharger $3000-5000 plus up to about $1000 for a rebuild on the SC before installing it. You now have an awesome 100 with somewhere around 330hp and 400 lb ft that is nearly indistinguishable from an 06-07. One additional option is to go with one of the awesome kelly saad one piece grilles for 06-07, 06-07 depos and the necessary brackets and trim to make it an actual 06-07 front end for about ~$1200-1500

IMO, I feel that the build quality is higher in the 100 series. This is strictly based on my experience in the cock pit of the newer model vehicles. I noticed a lot more plastic than soft touch materials and it felt like being in just a huge Camry or any other Toyota instead of an LC/LX. I love my 100s and a big part of that is the quality of the materials used inside. They largely rival even my Pre-Daimler Mercedes cars.

If the 100 series offered a comparable engine power-wise to the 200, I couldn't imagine what a 200 would be useful for.

Turbo an 80?? 100 will lack power if compared to the 5.7 tundra. Turbo 80 vs stock 5.7 200 money wise gets interesting :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom