working to bring the old girl back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
scottwellman.com
Just started a restoration on the 1975 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 (yellow) that my dad bought in 1976, I drove through high school and college, my brother destroyed and rebuilt (ask me about the chicken coop backend, done in wood). I got it back in the late 80s and semi rebuilt and painted. Last run in 2007, but its time to get it ready for 50th HS reunion in a few years. Mostly stock. Looking for experiences, parts info, and support when things go bad.....
1975LandCruiserOBX_1990s.jpg

Sounds like shes earned it.What @cbmontgo said, with all that history there has to be some back in the day pics...post em ☝

I've been taking pictures a long time.... so i do have a few. First, the early years, when thoughts of rust were nonexistent! Sand dunes in Pentwater Michigan. Drove 8 hours to get there with a school buddy to meet anther buddy that had 1974 TLC. Great Times! The next is a simple shot out front of the house, likely taking my brother to school on my way. Yeah, he's the guy that built the chicken coop in the back and welded the rear body to the rear frame! (he still cant tell me why they did it) Horror pictures later....

On a more serious note, any advice on cranking this old timer up for the first time since 2007? Oil looks good, but I will chance it along with the filter. Gas tank replacement in the works, as well as all new rubber fuel lines. I intend to pull out the sparkplugs and spray something in there! How best to lubricated anything I can before hit the ignition on the new battery!

1975FJ40_1977_MichiganSandDunes1.JPG

1975FJ40_inPtPtWVjpg.JPG

Great pics!
Aside from new gas and clear fuel lines as mentioned. You should be able to see fuel halfway up the front carb window as a general rule, to know the carb is getting what it needs to fire off.
Marvel Mystery oil in the sparkplug holes and letting it sit overnight seems to be popular in your situation.

Smarter folks are sure to chime in! Many threads available that have been there done that to ogle over!

Great pics!
Aside from new gas and clear fuel lines as mentioned. You should be able to see fuel halfway up the front carb window as a general rule, to know the carb is getting what it needs to fire off.
Marvel Mystery oil in the sparkplug holes and letting it sit overnight seems to be popular in your situation.

Smarter folks are sure to chime in! Many threads available that have been there done that to ogle over!

Marvel Mystery oil did wonders for my 40 that hadn’t run since ‘92. She purrs like a kitten now, albeit, with many steps in between.

Best of luck, but maybe just go ahead and swap that oil and filter out, even some cheap crap with a zinc additive to flush. Or don’t. But definitely soak in MMO overnight. You don’t want to needlessly F up your S if you catch my drift.

If the oil looks good then I'd crank it over a few times by hand just to get things lubed up and check it's moving freely, and then just go for it with new fuel.

The truck has probably barely noticed that 16 years have passed tbf, while the passage of time has probably been more trying on the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom