Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@NeverGiveUpYota, i'd be be proud as hell of you if you were my daughter, first just for tackling this n then for your accomplishments along the way. keep at it young lady, as i taught my daughters, there's nothing you can't do if you put your mind to it.
Thank you for the kind words @kirvesmies. I learned years ago that in this life I’ve had to find substitute family because most of the immediate members of mine are not healthy enough to give me the support I need. Here on mud, I’ve found many men I cherish like family. I’ve never even seen your name but the fact you spoke up on my thread really means a lot!
Felicity

felicity, that's very unfortunate,re: family. i'm glad to see you're holding your head up n givin' life hell
oh, i believe you've seen me on here as there is a few of your reactions in my "the dragonship" thread

@NeverGiveUpYota, just finished reading all 138 pages which i started reading after the above post, HOLY $H!T girl !!!! if any of my buddies ever says "i wouldn't know how to do that", i'm gonna tell him to hand me his man card then read this thread in entirety before he gets it back. your SISU humbles me
oh, by the way, you owe me for getting my lap top cleaned,"blow jobs for wiring service"... mashed potatoes n gravy

i'm sure you'll figure out what SISU means
Zero clue. Ha! But I’ve just spent 4 days w/ a sick child and I’m crossing my fingers I won’t become the next victim.

Monday I had a tree crew here taking down a huge white oak that had been looming over my house for the last year. The kid that climbed did a fantastic job and dropped every lead exactly where he wanted it. My son and I sat on the deck and watched the whole thing totally blown away. Dogs were barricaded in the house.

Yes almost nothing on the truck. I have to get the crank to the tool guy here in town and have spaced every Friday he’s there. Tomorrow will be it. He’ll be cutting a new keyway 180 degrees out to replace the wicked sheared one.

9FFD17F0-839F-48D8-883E-2FBE6FB8B239.jpeg

0E7A6FCF-1D11-4E93-8792-793448662700.jpeg

0876B398-340A-4148-8C98-3D6B0CAFB7EE.jpeg

19C7DBFB-700F-44E1-8D9D-0B9E581FD013.jpeg

1EB8A9E7-35CD-42C2-9DC6-0719004D32A9.jpeg

@kirvesmies again thank you. I’ll invalidate myself by saying, I might just not realize my limitations. That and not having many to lean on, I just figure I need to try and do before giving up.
I can probably thank my grandmother who raised me because tho she wasn’t as ambitious as me, she had very little money and knew how to make it stretch.
I like knowing I have my own ‘set’ when it comes to tackling problems but it’s a huge wall to making friends in life. I quickly get annoyed by people who don’t try including myself when things get really tough. I actually just handed over my chainsaw to a machine shop to tackle for a no start issue. I rebuilt the carb and cleaned everything but it just wouldn’t start. Hopefully it’s something very simple. And I just picked up a free lawn mower cuz my previous free one got to the point I was done repairing. This one is another no start but hoping to get it going today. Will see.

Magneto on the lawnmower? Ya know, spark/fuel-air, need all three. I gave up on one of my old mowers too. Partspile.

You may have a Finn heritage, SISU...

@micruz60, if you are talking to me, yes, i'm 1st gen canuk in our family
@NeverGiveUpYota, SISU, the finnish word for the never give up, never back down state of mind. tenacity translates over the best. it's probably the most formative way of thinking that my dad forged into my psyche back when i was about your lads age. "dad, i can't get it done." "did u try every thing?" "yes" "obviously you didn't, you're not done" . yes, he's man with an iron fist n no velvet glove. do i appreciate it? most certainly

@micruz60, if you are talking to me, yes, i'm 1st gen canuk in our family
@NeverGiveUpYota, SISU, the finnish word for the never give up, never back down state of mind. tenacity translates over the best. it's probably the most formative way of thinking that my dad forged into my psyche back when i was about your lads age. "dad, i can't get it done." "did u try every thing?" "yes" "obviously you didn't, you're not done" . yes, he's man with an iron fist n no velvet glove. do i appreciate it? most certainly
All my mother ever taught me was ‘to give up.’ She didn’t raise me luckily for me and wasn't in my life from 6-11. And when she showed back up all she did was get things and give up on them. So I’ve tried hard to do exactly opposite what she showed me.

Finally wrapped up the outer driver frame patch. Body mount reinstalled, new hardware, welded the brackets on, cleaned them up and now painted.

6B3A79E9-2E22-45FA-BBE6-22CFB2545F14.jpeg

EB9AB3FE-95CA-4289-93C5-C025D0AFBBD4.jpeg

41EE56A3-A66E-4188-AFB5-3CC94D7AF770.jpeg

Last edited:
Your welds are looking great:clap:
I hope you have a log splitter for that Oak, I have over a cord of Oregon White Oak split and stacked since end of last winter. It may still not be seasoned enough to burn this year. Have some Doug Fir, Rocky Mtn Juniper and Tamarack. Rocky Mtn Juniper is about the best smelling wood you can burn. I love the smell when split and even the smoke smells good. When I have company I’ll burn it in the backyard fire pit. It puts out the best aroma.
:cheers:

Today I had swung by a Harbor freight to get a backing pad, nut and a package of sanding discs. Ended up buying a second angle grinder w/ a deadman’s switch. Last week or so I was on my back and had my other grinder get ripped out of my grasp because the flap wheel on it caught a perpendicular section on the frame. It dropped on my chest, still spinning. I instinctively pushed it off me and away. It landed in the dirt spinning and tossing crap at me. I got it shut off but it definitely freaked me out. Thankfully I had on my cheap Wilson leather refurbed welding jacket and gloves and face shield or I may not have come away so unharmed. Hence, number two grinder now w/ a flapper switch.

But as I walked through the lot to the store I caught a wiff of something very familiar... spun bearing, bad bad oil. The only car I could figure it was from was an old pickup. Maybe I should have spoke up in the store but I let it go. Truck was gone when I came back out. Pretty amazing how keen the sense the smell is.

4494F413-ED56-4744-82E8-EAEB43A59C72.jpeg

Thanks for the kudos on my welding. I can most definitely thank Matt, @cruisermatt for all his help and guidance. I definitely wouldn’t be where I’m at w/o his assistance.
I also need to add thanks to @FJACS for giving me great step by step directions on how to do the outer rear frame rail repair.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m pretty scared of those things especially when the first thing everyone does is take the guard off. A friend has a nice rash on her leg from years ago - thru her carharts. Glad you are always geared up and nothing happened except fright and possibly PTSD. Damn! Is the flapper switch the one that goes off if you aren’t holding it?

@evilorgoodtwin, yes, it shuts off instantly. On sale at HF for $30. Little awkward to hold because one hand has to be further out from the middle. Funny too, @g-man was the one that pushed me into buying my first grinder, I’ll never forget him writing ‘you’ll probably take the handle and the guard off eventually...’ Yup. No handles, no guards.

@evilorgoodtwin, yes, it shuts off instantly. On sale at HF for $30. Little awkward to hold because one hand has to be further out from the middle. Funny too, @g-man was the one that pushed me into buying my first grinder, I’ll never forget him writing ‘you’ll probably take the handle and the guard off eventually...’ Yup. No handles, no guards.
Ain't that the truth!! First thing I did with my blue HF grinder was that. If you didn't notice, on the back of the grinder near where the cord goes into the body there is a black "button" that is the override for the deadman switch. You can push in the switch, then hit that button and it will keep things running without the finger on the trigger. Simple push of the trigger will release it. Used it a few times when I have been taking crap off frame rail or whatever. NEVER used it when I was cutting.

And I have gotten to the point where I gear fully up now, skullcap for under welding helmet, welding jacket, thick pants with canvas blanket over the lap (if I am sitting). Have plenty of scars now from slag dropping and burning through thin cotton items and whatnot. Also learned my lesson when I had a flap disc explode on me cuz it caught an edge when it was getting worn down. Luckily had a face shield on, which reminds me I need to buy a better one, and everything went into my chest or elsewhere, not shield hits.

She is looking good F and you're doing a great job. Keep at it and she is gonna be back together and purring like a kitten in no time!

More ugly.
Inside the inner patch (was my first) I made on this side could have been prepped vastly better. Once I open it up more I’ll add either zinc weld to those rough edges or ospho then paint.
Vacuumed and done for day. Work at 3.

950072D4-1BA9-45F1-87E2-5821F296C42A.jpeg

018939A8-870E-41A2-AA8F-E1385A82F377.jpeg

EC29421C-C348-4A68-AEAE-3199EFA4BA00.jpeg

E50F863A-4B31-4877-8CE7-7A8243DCA6DE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom