Wizard Cooling Aluminum Radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been considering a Ron Davis aluminum radiator as I continue to seek lower engine temperatures in my LQ9 V8 converted 80.

While looking for other options, I ran across Wizard Cooling's aluminum replacement radiator for the 80 series. After a few quick searches I could not turn-up any mention of Wizard Cooling on MUD.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with Wizard Cooling or their 80 series aluminum radiator?

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 9.10.37 AM.png

1993-1997 TOYOTA Landcruiser Aluminum Radiator

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Looks as if it may have an air flow issue :)

$50 less than Griffin, I'll stick with using Griffin

Looks as if it may have an air flow issue :)

$50 less than Griffin, I'll stick with using Griffin
I saw the post in 2015 about Griffin now making an aluminum rad for the 80, but I could not find any mention of it on their site.

Does anyone know if they are still producing it?

If I were you and lived in phoenix, I would call Ron Davis and see if they could do their radiator without the trans warmer in the bottom and using that extra space for more rows. You really don't need the warming capacity and running the hot trans fluid into the radiator just means less BTU's to cool the engine.

I have a Griffin for the 80 sitting waiting to be put in my 80 swap project, God knows when I will find time to build my own shop truck. I took an OEM 80 rad down to Griffin to be used as a prototype. Ask for Michelle Morgan and if she has no idea tell her its the radiator she made for Stan at HFS from an original.

If I were you and lived in phoenix, I would call Ron Davis and see if they could do their radiator without the trans warmer in the bottom and using that extra space for more rows. You really don't need the warming capacity and running the hot trans fluid into the radiator just means less BTU's to cool the engine.

If I were to do this again this is the route I would go. Otherwise I'm very happy with my RD.

That's a very interesting idea. I have not heard of anyone doing that before. I assume all that would be required is to somehow delete those lines or loop them together?

I have talked about it several times. I will be doing it on my truck and I did it on my 55 running the 100 series running gear, with the same transmission. running it through the radiator keeps the trans fluid, more consistent, but in an area that doesn't get -30f I doubt you need that function.

That's a very interesting idea. I have not heard of anyone doing that before. I assume all that would be required is to somehow delete those lines or loop them together?

Just reading through this thread. Any updates on this? Going to be replacing my radiator soon. TIA

Jason

Resurrecting an old thread. Having a real hard time keeping my LS swap cool. What did you end up doing?

Very close to pulling the trigger on the Ron Davis. Was looking at the Icon build videos that Jonathan Ward posts and it looks like they are using some non OEM looking solutions as well. Perhaps Griffin? Curious that they are still running the inlet host all the way across the engine bay when they could easily swap sides.

1564144042973.png

Resurrecting an old thread. Having a real hard time keeping my LS swap cool. What did you end up doing?

Very close to pulling the trigger on the Ron Davis. Was looking at the Icon build videos that Jonathan Ward posts and it looks like they are using some non OEM looking solutions as well. Perhaps Griffin? Curious that they are still running the inlet host all the way across the engine bay when they could easily swap sides.

View attachment 2040009
Sounds familiar... I went with the Ron Davis radiator but did not have the lower trans cooler removed. It seems to help with cooling but I honestly have not run the truck up to temp because emissions has lapsed and life got in the way. Will be taking it out to get emissions testing in a week or so and can report back...

View attachment 2040009

I ended up using a Steel Nutz radiator and two 13” Span fans. I’ve never had a cooling problem with that combo.

Let me know if you need more details....

Not sure what they were then but I’ve heard the combo is around $1300 now

I think my RD was around 1200 w/o fans or shroud. Honestly can’t remember exact cost.

Ran the LX this past week in 110-115 degree weather w/AC on and it stays under 210 on the expressway and idling in traffic.. I’m fairly happy with that.

I still have a pair of Land rover fender vents I may install at some point. I’m sure letting more air flow around the engine and out would help a lot.

From the Wizard website

Direct fit radiator, bolt in replacement radiator for a 1993-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Aluminum Radiator

• Direct fit radiator
  • 16 Fins per inch
  • Filler neck is machined from a solid aluminum billet
  • No epoxy, fully furnace brazed
  • Fully TIG welded
  • Proudly MADE IN THE USA
The core for this custom built, high performance radiator features 2 rows of 1" tubes. The tubes are space 3/8" apart, on center. With 3/8"centers we are able to put allot more rows of tubes, fins, and coolant volume in the core as well as create allot more surface area for air to travel over; allowing for greater heat dissipation.

Visit our FAQ page to learn more about the different core types and constructions and why Wizard Cooling's products performance is superior to the other options.

1566742254481.png

1566742277717.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom