Wits End Turbo Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a “kit” but availability of the OEM washer tank killed that momentum. I have other tank solutions in the works.
I need the non-OEM washer tank method, please. I have dual batts and I know your 80 did not. That Napa washer bottle on the driver side works for maybe 3-5 sprits of washing and is still needed IMHO. You never know when you need to clean your windshield on road for emergencies. Bugs can be washed at the gas station. That was my biggest problem is finding a tank that would fit in the already limited space that with dual batts. I don't run the York and there's room there but that or the Slee relocated position won't work as its too close to the turbo piping and heat is a concern.

I need the non-OEM washer tank method, please. I have dual batts and I know your 80 did not. That Napa washer bottle on the driver side works for maybe 3-5 sprits of washing and is still needed IMHO. You never know when you need to clean your windshield on road for emergencies. Bugs can be washed at the gas station.
Yup already planned

I definitely should have specified that! Is all of this needed....absolutely not! Is it fun to talk about, ponder and tinker with, Absolutely! At least, I feel like it is. The foundation of this, for me at least, is that I want to create consistency within the equation. For my environment/climate, I am lucky to see ambient temperatures much above 90F but there is a fair bit of humidity. Under these conditions, I have noticed that the turbo is a bit more sluggish, we'll say. On the contrary, we do see bitter cold days too, with no humidity, and I will tell you the turbo is an entirely different animal when it is COLD! This is, more or less, what I am chasing or interested in. Trying to ensure that I can have consistent, reliable and predictable power regardless of the ambient conditions. Frankly, I do not know that there is a choice that will not be an improvement, just as the turbo itself has been a huge improvement. Not going to lie though.... what got my feather's the most tickled..... the understanding that methanol water injection will add more POWWWWA! That stuff is freaking addicting! :hillbilly: :flipoff2: :steer: :cheers:

Do I need it? No! I can tow my 3500 trailer up high elevation grades I wouldn't have imagined before without the Turbo and do it at 80mp
Geez Derek
I hope your not doing that with your wife and daughters in the Rig. also note that trailer tires are only rated for 67 mph and the ones on your new tent trailer are probably less. ;)
It would be at the officer's discretion to arrest you for going that speed pulling a trailer in the state you live in 🤷‍♂️

Lifted 80 series don't make the best tow rig's JMHO

Going to start my install this weekend. What year supra fuel pump are guys going with? Not sure I need it but while I am in there...
@bwakeling are you planning to document with a build thread?

Going to start my install this weekend. What year supra fuel pump are guys going with? Not sure I need it but while I am in there...
This one

CCDF8726-CFB2-418A-BCB1-7E557C079FFA.jpeg

What is the next best option instead of oil collectors? dont want to add any more clutter than I already have. If one doesn't have to worry about emissions it seems like plumbing it into the exhuast would be simple and just cap the nipple on the intake piping?

I dont have a factory exhaust to align with so I am curious if my downpipe is in the right spot or similar to the rest of you? As you can see in the pictures the new pipe is going to be very close to the body mount and I will have to bend the tab out of the way. Everything bolted up nicely between the turbo and wastegate. I still have to pull everything off again to install the blanket and oil lines so its is not a big deal to readjust. Building the exhaust now so want the placement to be correct from the get go. I feel like the old exhaust went around the body mount but this wants to go under. Appreciate your thoughts.
dp1.jpg

Last edited:
That looks about accurate. As long as you're seeing an even flange<->turbo connection and the downpipe has the bellhousing support bracket on, I would feel good about it. There are likely minor deviations in our kits and/or vehicles.

If I remember correctly, @spyduh swapped that washer on the body mount for a smaller one to give more space.

That looks about accurate. As long as you're seeing an even flange<->turbo connection and the downpipe has the bellhousing support bracket on, I would feel good about it. There are likely minor deviations in our kits and/or vehicles.

If I remember correctly, @spyduh swapped that washer on the body mount for a smaller one to give more space.
good to know. I picked up some pie cuts and an assortment of 45 and 60 degree elbows so I might try to swing it more around and keep it tucked up higher. everything is bolted up nicely but the support bracket is pretty close to the downpipe so didnt need to make much room on the slider plate.

20220331_223348.jpg

20220331_223406.jpg

Last edited:
I had to trim the large body mount washer for my 2.5" exhaust pipe so your experience is normal.

I had to trim the large body mount washer for my 2.5" exhaust pipe so your experience is normal.
Yup I replaced my oem body mount washer with a random one from another Toyota. I just grabbed one on the floor at my buddies shop. I'm guessing it's from an early 85-95 mini truck. Don't what it actually came off. Could also be from 96+ taco or 4r. Any washer would work as long as it covers the rubber.

Well - finally threw my first turbo related CEL. P0172 - System too rich bank 1.

This was after driving up rattlesnake pass outside of SLC. Cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back.
Spent the last week driving from Seattle - Zion (UT) straights through, across UT over the week, then shot back across to Seattle in a day.
On the drive out in high heat had a few odd idle issues. Pulled into a gas station near pendleton OR and the engine stuttered and almost died but keyed off before it could freak out.
Idle is now a bit rough on cold starts. Going to start looking for post turbo leaks, but no evidence of any and a somewhat "new" motor with all new OEM parts.

Anyone else run into this?

@Wompom
I just started having the p0172 code pop-up. What did you do to fix your issue?

I just threw 2 new o2s. While I haven't got the code yet since I haven't driven enough miles. however my AFR is still displaying sporadic AFRs. Mostly in the 10 to 12 AFR range and back to 14.6/7. I'm wondering if it's my ECT sensor no longer working properly. It'll be normal 14.7 for a few minutes and then drop to 10-12 AFR on idle with a normal warm operating temp.

Note...I got the CEL p0172 when my truck pulled off the freeway into a gas station after my last trip. It stalled on me and shut off and I coasted into the pump. I also had idle issue when pulling off the freeway and it would run rough.

@Wompom
I just started having the p0172 code pop-up. What did you do to fix your issue?

I just threw 2 new o2s. While I haven't got the code yet since I haven't driven enough miles. however my AFR is still displaying sporadic AFRs. Mostly in the 10 to 12 AFR range and back to 14.6/7. I'm wondering if it's my ECT sensor no longer working properly. It'll be normal 14.7 for a few minutes and then drop to 10-12 AFR on idle with a normal warm operating temp.

Note...I got the CEL p0172 when my truck pulled off the freeway into a gas station after my last trip. It stalled on me and shut off and I coasted into the pump. I also had idle issue when pulling off the freeway and it would run rough.

My concern is the P0172 may not be responsible for your engine dying, that's a possible vacuum issue. Have you done a smoke test to see where there might be a leak? I know the engine is freshly built before the turbo went in. Also your coolant temp sensor could be another potential issue, if it's the original one.

I too have a leak at the J pipe and it's a loud leak under throttle but my engine never stalled. In order to fix the leak, I have to remove the turbo and check the flange for trueness.:bang:

P0172: System too rich (Fuel trim): Trouble Areas: fule line pressure; injector leak--blockage; heated O2 sensor malfunction; mass air flow meter; engine coolant temp. sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom