Winch vs. Tires & Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for all the replies. Tires and wheels it is!

Anyone got a set near Chattanooga, TN they’d be willing to part with.
I got a nice set from facebook marketplace off someone who upgraded their TRD 4runner, I think it was a 2019, no spacing needed on my 92, just new lugs which were $30 for a set of 24. The caps won't work so I don't get as much street cred without the toyota logo over the hub.

I was originally hunting for K02s but upgrading from 15" to 17" is nice with new wheels, and about 60% tread left on wrangler A/Ts. Quite a few options if you use facebook marketplace/craigslist.

Check out my videos from The Cove a few weeks back. 37s with no lockers and I have a winch. Got stuck a couple of times both from inexperience and just got in a tough spot. Lockers probably would have got me out pretty quick but I never had to use the winch or get pulled out. A good spotter helped get me where I needed to be. I went everywhere everyone else did, just had to be a little more thoughtful about what I was doing. I like to think of the winch as being there to help someone else out vs getting my dumb self out of something I shouldn't have been doing in the first place but, it does happen.

Yes, we did. We were a bit tired, didn't scout the rapid, thought we got this, and then we didn't... No one got hurt, saved the boat, but it made us think.

But I've seen the general footprint of the "3:30 rule" on long, technically interesting/challenging group trail rides as well. Late in the afternoon, fatigue tends to creep in, attention is maybe not so high anymore as e.g. at 10am, and people tend to be a bit quicker to rely on the skinny pedal because everyone wants to get out, and then things start to happen. We try to avoid that.

I'm not necessarily against people wanting to live on the edge - it often makes for great spectating experiences on the trail. Fun and games is one thing. Fixing broken axle shafts, steering, or the likes afterwards is another...
I 100% agree. I was just giving you a hard time.

Check out my videos from The Cove a few weeks back. 37s with no lockers and I have a winch. Got stuck a couple of times both from inexperience and just got in a tough spot. Lockers probably would have got me out pretty quick but I never had to use the winch or get pulled out. A good spotter helped get me where I needed to be. I went everywhere everyone else did, just had to be a little more thoughtful about what I was doing. I like to think of the winch as being there to help someone else out vs getting my dumb self out of something I shouldn't have been doing in the first place but, it does happen.
Link to the video(s)?
Why not run the factory wheels? Working plenty fine for me.
My factory wheel are almost perfect and I don't want them to get ripped up by any errant rocks. Also, I run this as a daily driver most of the time and my LX OEM wheels have Michelin Defenders on them. Easy enough to lift one side up and swap tires out before hitting the dirt. At least this is my current thinking.

Link to the video(s)?

My factory wheel are almost perfect and I don't want them to get ripped up by any errant rocks. Also, I run this as a daily driver most of the time and my LX OEM wheels have Michelin Defenders on them. Easy enough to lift one side up and swap tires out before hitting the dirt. At least this is my current thinking.
Fair enough! Figured you could run the factory wheels to redirect some coin to pick up a winch or something and get your tires, too.

Factory wheels just look so...right.

Link to the video(s)?

If you get new rims you might as well get 17" rims in case you eventually wanna run 37s.

I couldn't agree more. Every model every time.
My 80 is a toy to get out on the trails, camp, explore, etc. While mine aren't perfect, they look good enough - and mine are the "tough to find" Collector's Edition wheels. I'll eventually get them refinished I figured, but I dig 'em. Running BFG KM3 315's (effectively 35s) with no issues.

The Defenders are nice for the road; I have them on the 200. I'd look for an A/T for anything beyond picking the kids up at school.

Link to the video(s)?

If you get new rims you might as well get 17" rims in case you eventually wanna run 37s.
Too late. Pulled the trigger on a $100 set of 2019 Tacoma steel wheels (16"). If I want to run 37s, I'll have to build a house and garage around it.

Vehicle damage is generally the result of poor decision making. (Sometimes things unforeseen, but usually poor decision making).

Rock-crawlers the possible exception, but vehicle damage there....just comes with the territory.

No matter how armored, lifted or otherwise equipped, you can always push things too far. We can call it by different names (Exuberance, Adventure, Spirit, Urges, Caught up), but its poor decision making most of the time. ;)

It is well to know where your rig will (and won't) go and the limitations of the driver (who can be the deciding factor).

The 80 series is indeed an exceptionally capable vehicle in stock form, but still requires the driver know what He/She is getting into.

If there is no 'bottom' in that mud hole that looks so 'tempting'......., well we all how that is going to turn out.
That is kind of funny, I did exactly that in a mud hole. I pulled over on the side of a main road to send a text. When I was done i saw some mud infront of me and figure it would be fun to drive through. I think there was a broked underground drainage pipe or something. Bottomless mud, sunk that thing right up to the sliders. Had a tripple locked 80 and new mud tires STUCK! Winched of a tree while traffic drove by. Was funny as hell and laughably stupid on my part.

That is kind of funny, I did exactly that in a mud hole. I pulled over on the side of a main road to send a text. When I was done i saw some mud infront of me and figure it would be fun to drive through. I think there was a broked underground drainage pipe or something. Bottomless mud, sunk that thing right up to the sliders. Had a tripple locked 80 and new mud tires STUCK! Winched of a tree while traffic drove by. Was funny as hell and laughably stupid on my part.

Oh....I've done it. Not in my 80 Series but in my Early Model Bronco. Locked front and rear, mud tires. Hit a spot on the ranch that I thought I could get through. Went all the way to the frame. I have a NP435 transmission in it with a granny low. In low range I can get out and watch all four tires slowly turning. Had to winch myself through about a 75' stretch of Deep East Texas Red Clay. It happens.

Pulled the trigger on some Cooper Evolution M/T’s on 2019 Taco wheels

E7D0E58A-DC29-4C55-925E-191014E0979D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom