Factory vs non-factory wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the factory 80 rims I like the lx450 rims a little better just because of the accent in the middle of each spoke. That would be the only rims I would change out over my factory 80 rims..

I like the factory 80 rims I like the lx450 rims a little better just because of the accent in the middle of each spoke. That would be the only rims I would change out over my factory 80 rims..
I am not concerned about curb appeal - it's a 4wd vehicle that isn't meant to be a show-and-shine contender. So basic factory steel wheels are both suitable and probably the 'most correct' for the style and function. Lx450 badged 80's however are bling boxes from the outset. :cool:

Considering your focus on dependability and practicality, transitioning to factory steel wheels could be a wise choice. While factory aluminum wheels offer better performance, steelies are sturdier and can handle off-road challenges. Keep in mind that steel wheels allow for trail repairs, which could be essential. Additionally, while weight differences matter, for a vehicle of this size, 50 kg might not greatly impact overall performance. Ultimately, balancing these factors with your needs will guide your decision.

Slightly related - what is the factory paint code used for the factory steel (non split rim) wheels? They're silver, so I wonder if they're the blue-grey metallic 181 paint code? I've acquired another one which has a fair bit of surface rusting but no damage to the wheel with an old no-good tyre that I'll get replaced.

This is the wheel before restoration starts:

-----

I decided the most correct paint I had was some hardware store rattle can 'aluminium' gloss enamel so I've fully repainted the wheel after removing loose stuff and priming with steel primer. I compared it to the 'almost new' factory wheel I got about 2 weeks ago and it's basically an ideal match. I used the balance of the can to give the other existing factory wheels a tidy up so they're all sexy and silvery now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom