Winch vs. Tires & Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

'Good' off-road tires do more than offer increased traction. Typically they are 'less' likely to suffer damage and leave you either stranded or having to change a tire on the trail. I run 10 ply tires on both my 80 and 100 series.

Obviously, WHERE and HOW you use your vehicle will play into tire choice. If you just want to putter down the beach....pretty much anything will do. If your treks off road take you over rocks, through mud or on snow/ice....then more careful consideration is needed.

Your tires are your contact point with terrain (and pavement) despite whatever else you might have done to the vehicle. Good tires should always come first. A winch is for when you over play your hand with your good tires (or something unexpected comes up).

Ideally, you want both. But if you get a winch before you get good tires, get a good winch....because you'll be using it a lot.

I personally find a winch pretty useless around Colorado and Utah. I've only been stuck two or three times and a buddy with a strap was all that was ever needed to extract me. There are times a winch would have been handy to help out a dumbass who drove off the road. I realize the decision could be very different in a different area where mud holes and ruts are the norm, but in a dry climate, I'd pick tires 100%.

If you want to attempt to minimize vehicle damage induced by that “urge” that we all experience when we’re out there then winch and armor before tires, lift and lockers.

We get caught up in the moment high on fresh air, peer pressure and the innate need to go farther and that’s when vehicle damage begins to appear, not that I’m anti damage.

If you want to attempt to minimize vehicle damage induced by that “urge” that we all experience when we’re out there then winch and armor before tires, lift and lockers.

We get caught up in the moment high on fresh air, peer pressure and the innate need to go farther and that’s when vehicle damage begins to appear, not that I’m anti damage.

Vehicle damage is generally the result of poor decision making. (Sometimes things unforeseen, but usually poor decision making).

Rock-crawlers the possible exception, but vehicle damage there....just comes with the territory.

No matter how armored, lifted or otherwise equipped, you can always push things too far. We can call it by different names (Exuberance, Adventure, Spirit, Urges, Caught up), but its poor decision making most of the time. ;)

It is well to know where your rig will (and won't) go and the limitations of the driver (who can be the deciding factor).

The 80 series is indeed an exceptionally capable vehicle in stock form, but still requires the driver know what He/She is getting into.

If there is no 'bottom' in that mud hole that looks so 'tempting'......., well we all how that is going to turn out.

I prefer a winch over tires. I don't like other people pulling me out because I don't know the recovery experience they have. If I mess things up pulling myself out it's on me. Some people have recovery equipment and don't use it well and make a somewhat bad situation turn into very bad. I would run Michelins on the trail no problem. Limiting traction mods and suspension mods when your starting out will force you to become a better driver. Just air them down. Winch, sliders, and skid plates are my recommended first mods to people. Usually when I need my winch, I really need my winch. It has really saved me from some hairy situations.

Vehicle damage is generally the result of poor decision making. (Sometimes things unforeseen, but usually poor decision making).

Rock-crawlers the possible exception, but vehicle damage there....just comes with the territory.

No matter how armored, lifted or otherwise equipped, you can always push things too far. We can call it by different names (Exuberance, Adventure, Spirit, Urges, Caught up), but its poor decision making most of the time. ;)

It is well to know where your rig will (and won't) go and the limitations of the driver (who can be the deciding factor).

The 80 series is indeed an exceptionally capable vehicle in stock form, but still requires the driver know what He/She is getting into.

If there is no 'bottom' in that mud hole that looks so 'tempting'......., well we all how that is going to turn out.
We never know where we can go until we try.

Why do you want wheels too? Your stock wheels are just fine and a solid 33” tire will get you out and about.

Save the money not buying wheels to buy both a winch and tires.
Wheels seem like a good idea so that I can keep my good-condition original LX wheels with my good-condition Michelins for running up and down the road during the week (200-250miles weekly) and quickly swap over to weekend-warrior mode.

Thoughts? I found some Tacoma steel OEM wheels for $100 on FB marketplace.

Wheels seem like a good idea so that I can keep my good-condition original LX wheels with my good-condition Michelins for running up and down the road during the week (200-250miles weekly) and quickly swap over to weekend-warrior mode.

Thoughts? I found some Tacoma steel OEM wheels for $100 on FB marketplace.
My opinion will differ from what you’re doing but if you’re only looking at spending approx $100 for beat around wheels then I get the reason.

I thought you were looking to drop coin on some forged off-road specific wheels and tires OR buying a winch. I guessed at your budget.

Why do you need an aftermarket front bumper? Lift, tires, CDL and don't go out alone and you're good for 99% of situations.
Just part of the evolution I reckon. Sliders are really the best part of the pending goodies.

We never know where we can go until we try.

Well....I would argue that the prudent man would use good judgement and maybe even glean something from what OTHER'S have done (or not done) before just 'going for it'. ;)

Your point is well taken, that the limits of the driver and vehicle (combination) can be 'explored' but there is a high end to that if you want to avoid expensive lessons.

I mean....I'm not absolutely sure I can't fly, but I'm not going to dive off a cliff to find out. I have noted that others can not fly (unassisted). I'm fairly certain gravity will work upon me...the same way as others, but 'until we try' I can't say for sure.

Well....I would argue that the prudent man would use good judgement and maybe even glean something from what OTHER'S have done (or not done) before just 'going for it'. ;)

Your point is well taken, that the limits of the driver and vehicle (combination) can be 'explored' but there is a high end to that if you want to avoid expensive lessons.

I mean....I'm not absolutely sure I can't fly, but I'm not going to dive off a cliff to find out. I have noted that others can not fly (unassisted). I'm fairly certain gravity will work upon me...the same way as others, but 'until we try' I can't say for sure.
“A good man knows his limitation”. - Inspector Harry Callahan

Building a vehicle for off road adventure and then actually using it isn’t prudent according to many in the first place.

Have I ever equipped a 4x4 in the manner which I suggested here in my first post? Absolutely not. I was merely bringing forth a concept that the OP had yet to read in this thread. Personally, I believe that if your rig isn’t showing some scars at 20 years old plus, then it hasn’t really been off road.

I will, however, stand by this remark. Buy differential lockers and gears to match the tires and lift that you put on all at the same time. I’m all for lift and larger tires but open diffs make it difficult to keep our desired trajectory in true “off road” situations. And if a guy is planning to settle for a cheap chinese winch he might as well throw in that extra $300 at the same time.

Last edited:
“A good man knows his limitation”. - Inspector Harry Callahan

Building a vehicle for off road adventure and then actually using it isn’t prudent according to many in the first place.

Have I ever equipped a 4x4 in the manner which I suggested here in my first post? Absolutely not. I was merely bringing forth a concept that the OP had yet to read in this thread. Personally, I believe that if your rig isn’t showing some scars at 20 years old plus, then it hasn’t really been off road.

I will, however, stand by this remark. Buy differential lockers and gears to match the tires and lift that you put on all at the same time. I’m all for lift and larger tires but open diffs make it difficult to keep our desired trajectory in true “off road” situations. And if a guy is planning to settle for a cheap chinese winch he might as well through that extra $300 at the same time.

All good points Sir. 👍

I’d get a cheap set of wheels and some 33”-35” mud tires, possibly with a lift, but not absolutely necessary. Just jack it up and throw those on when you wanna go wheeling.

Take it on some easy to moderate trails and assess what you think could improve it. Take it slow and watch for rocks.

When and if you get into more serious wheeling, sliders and skids should be the first mods IMO, and you’d probably want a lift at this point if you haven’t already. Then add locker(s) when 4lo just isn’t cutting it anymore.

A winch is good if you solo wheel a lot, but they can be very dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Loving the feedback here!

Just to add, I have the OME 861/862 springs and corresponding OME Nitro shocks. WKOR sliders and an ARB front bumper en route. ETA is 2 weeks.

I love getting off road and navigating obstacles with like-minded individuals. I’ve been fortunate to ride shotgun with several people in 80s ranging from pure trail rig (locked, loaded and beat to a pulp) to fully kitted overland-type rigs. I like a middle approach.

I’ve got the bug. Bad.

I often turn to the forum for guidance on, obviously, Land Cruiser activities as well as more mundane, unassociated items (think Best Made In America Flag).

Thanks for the interest!

I always chuckle when I see the phrase 'just throw the 35s on..."
In my 25 years of 'wheeling, I've come across very, very few people who would be physically able to do that... ;)

Personally, it has taken me a long time of running trails before I thought it would be good to have a winch. I've done the bigger tires thing first, then lockers shortly after that. And as for getting stuck, there are two things that helped me quite a bit:

1. Looking at every obstacle, I've very early on started to ask the question 'even if I make it, can I drive this thing the other direction in case I have to turn back??" That then morphed into 'Being too proud to turn around is simply stupid (particularly if I'm by myself...)' - there were always plenty of other trails to run.
2. The "3:30" rule - nothing crazy/questionable after 3:30pm. The rule came initially from a canoe trip and a botched rapid run, but translated easily into 'wheeling, and has served us really well. I'd even say that the "3:30 rule" is better than a winch. Much cheaper, too.

I always chuckle when I see the phrase 'just throw the 35s on..."
In my 25 years of 'wheeling, I've come across very, very few people who would be physically able to do that... ;)

Personally, it has taken me a long time of running trails before I thought it would be good to have a winch. I've done the bigger tires thing first, then lockers shortly after that. And as for getting stuck, there are two things that helped me quite a bit:

1. Looking at every obstacle, I've very early on started to ask the question 'even if I make it, can I drive this thing the other direction in case I have to turn back??" That then morphed into 'Being too proud to turn around is simply stupid (particularly if I'm by myself...)' - there were always plenty of other trails to run.
2. The "3:30" rule - nothing crazy/questionable after 3:30pm. The rule came initially from a canoe trip and a botched rapid run, but translated easily into 'wheeling, and has served us really well. I'd even say that the "3:30 rule" is better than a winch. Much cheaper, too.
Man, you must have REALLY botched that rapid run. Personally, I've done plenty of questionable things after 3:30...I think one time I even made a bad decision at 4:00. A whole thirty minutes past. What can I say? I like life on the edge :flipoff2: :rofl:

Yes, we did. We were a bit tired, didn't scout the rapid, thought we got this, and then we didn't... No one got hurt, saved the boat, but it made us think.

But I've seen the general footprint of the "3:30 rule" on long, technically interesting/challenging group trail rides as well. Late in the afternoon, fatigue tends to creep in, attention is maybe not so high anymore as e.g. at 10am, and people tend to be a bit quicker to rely on the skinny pedal because everyone wants to get out, and then things start to happen. We try to avoid that.

I'm not necessarily against people wanting to live on the edge - it often makes for great spectating experiences on the trail. Fun and games is one thing. Fixing broken axle shafts, steering, or the likes afterwards is another...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom