Winch Size (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another comment on winches/recovery....regardless of brand.

USE THEM - there is nothing harder on 12v motors than letting them sit unused...I find it hilarious that people want a reliable winch, but the only time they know it works is when they NEED it. Check them at home, re-spool winch lines after every trip, operate them monthly. My winches are reliable BECAUSE they are used constantly. Winch issues mainly result from disuse or misuse.

You should be able to reach your winch controller, a tree saver and a soft shackle while BUCKLED in the drivers seat. Any place else in the rig is wasted gear. Those 3 basics should be readily accessible at all times. Ideally, a pair of gloves for the recovery help too, since they likely ran down the hill to help you out and forgot theirs...

I run my winch lines at 80% of drum capacity....and I carry multiple winch extensions for longer pulls (yes, even in the buggy....(40' on the drum two 4', one 8' and one 15' extension available in a bag in front of my seat) 80% drum capacity helps prevent overloading one side of the drum....ie: when you aren't paying attention during a side-pull situation to respool half-way thru. Running 80% of capacity reduces concerns about exploding drums when the line overloads and/or jams.

You should be able to reach your winch controller, a tree saver and a soft shackle while BUCKLED in the drivers seat. Any place else in the rig is wasted gear. Those 3 basics should be readily accessible at all times. Ideally, a pair of gloves for the recovery help too, since they likely ran down the hill to help you out and forgot theirs...
This is a great idea and would have saved me from some sheet metal damage had I been able to reach my controller. I had slid off a road in a couple feet of snow between trees and one was blocking my tailgate and spare swing arm so I couldn't open the back to get to my controller which was conveniently stored in a drawer:rolleyes:. If I had stored it, shackle, and the tree saver where you are suggesting I could have just hooked up and winched myself back on the road. As it was, I had to jockey the rig, bouncing off a tree on the slippery slope:mad: as best as I could with the drive train and miserable traction to get the rear end free of the damn tree that was in the way. Also couldn't get to my tire chains:nailbiting: , but was able to get to a shovel to scrape snow off the ground and get some traction for maneuvering. The saying, "there is a place for everything and everything is in it's place" will now need altering for my winch gear.

You should be able to reach your winch controller, a tree saver and a soft shackle while BUCKLED in the drivers seat.
i can generally reach a burrito, a beer and a coozie while buckled in the drivers seat.

Another comment on winches/recovery....regardless of brand.

USE THEM - there is nothing harder on 12v motors than letting them sit unused...I find it hilarious that people want a reliable winch, but the only time they know it works is when they NEED it. Check them at home, re-spool winch lines after every trip, operate them monthly. My winches are reliable BECAUSE they are used constantly. Winch issues mainly result from disuse or misuse.

I run my winch lines at 80% of drum capacity....and I carry multiple winch extensions for longer pulls (yes, even in the buggy....(40' on the drum two 4', one 8' and one 15' extension available in a bag in front of my seat) 80% drum capacity helps prevent overloading one side of the drum....ie: when you aren't paying attention during a side-pull situation to respool half-way thru. Running 80% of capacity reduces concerns about exploding drums when the line overloads and/or jams.

I’ll never forget after I got really stuck crossing a creek when no one wanted to venture into the cold water to hook a strap to my rear bumper (water was close to half way up my doors). Finally, one guy waded out to my rig just in his undies and his tee. Lol!

one thing that keeps not getting mentioned,especially in the BL winch failures, is that iirc manufactures recommended forward foot mount above 10k.

keep in mind,the 8274 is WAY faster than any planetary.

If someone is considering buying a used winch to rebuild or to use ‘as is’, the 8274 is an excellent choice. As stated…very fast with strength well above it’s rated 8k.

....For those that rarely go offroad, i like to recommend a winch on a reciever. Than it doesnt have to be in the weather in the 99% of time the truck is on the highway.
Theoretically, it sounds like a great idea. But practically, not so great. Side pulls or pulls that are not in a straight line can stress the one structural point of contact between the winch and the rig beyond the receiver's rating. Two things that receivers and hitches are not designed for are extreme side to side stress and sudden impact stress, such as you have when you get a running start to extract a rig with a yank strap (kinetic energy). That's not to say that people don't do it. It's done all the time and when there's a tragedy, it makes the headlines.

8274s go on FJ40s 🙂
Agreed, here’s mine getting ready to go to work on a great day. I know it doesn’t look like it but it was!

And also on my 60.

2FF0FAFF-3951-47C2-A096-8A8447F83552.png

9F2D6C5D-F93C-4467-A99E-6FF411B4F86D.png

0D7DFF12-9C8F-4234-86D5-4FC9CA7B53AD.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah…and a spare. Getting ready for an Albright.

4727A0D4-225C-45EB-9611-0033BAE627FE.jpeg

Theoretically, it sounds like a great idea. But practically, not so great. Side pulls or pulls that are not in a straight line can stress the one structural point of contact between the winch and the rig beyond the receiver's rating. Two things that receivers and hitches are not designed for are extreme side to side stress and sudden impact stress, such as you have when you get a running start to extract a rig with a yank strap (kinetic energy). That's not to say that people don't do it. It's done all the time and when there's a tragedy, it makes the headlines.
Good point! I have never seen a receiver mount fail by flying off. I've seen a receiver bend and crack the frame from overloading. And I suppose if you don't pay attention one could bend and crack to the point it Flys off. There are guys out there that will break an anvil if you leave them alone for 15 minutes. You have to use some common sense as far as what your doing with what you got. If your going to do heavy duty pulls and want a receiver type setup you can go to a dual receiver mount. Here is a family members dual receiver setup on a fj60. I don't have a good picture of the insert. But it works well. I don't use running start pulls unless it's a very light tug or I have a Bubba rope or something. Or I start digging or seek alternatives in lightening the necessary recovery pull.
44234.jpeg

Last edited:
8274s go on FJ40s 🙂
They fit really well on fj40s. They are pretty bulky. But because of how upgradeable they are they are, in my opinion the go to winch for the most serious winching if you can make it fit. They make aftermarket upper housings that can take dual 9hp electric motors, custom heavy duty cases, drums, gears etc.

test winch gigglepin long twin motors 14 000 lbs on ARB bar hdj80 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JS_FDS6ieXs
Warn 8274 upgrade - DOUBLEWINCH Power Head 2X6.5HP - Warn 8274 high mount twin motor winch upgrade - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2ZMQc9DEs

I see very people using a winch cover on their rigs, and I always wonder why. They are cheap, and they keep your winch and line out of the elements and the sun. I actually have a piece of an old bicycle inner tube over the last couple feet of my winch line, with a rather large hole in it so I can get a shackle through the eye at the end of my synthetic line and connect the line to my bumper. My buddies think it looks tacky, I think it looks like something no one would want to bother stealing. I'm much more interested in function than looks. Just a suggestion.
This cover just barely covers my SuperWinch 9500:
Amazon product ASIN B07BT6TRQWThe cover got a little gray from the sun after a few years so I just spray painted it black.

I see very people using a winch cover on their rigs, and I always wonder why. They are cheap, and they keep your winch and line out of the elements and the sun. I actually have a piece of an old bicycle inner tube over the last couple feet of my winch line, with a rather large hole in it so I can get a shackle through the eye at the end of my synthetic line and connect the line to my bumper. My buddies think it looks tacky, I think it looks like something no one would want to bother stealing. I'm much more interested in function than looks. Just a suggestion.
This cover just barely covers my SuperWinch 9500:
Amazon product ASIN B07BT6TRQWThe cover got a little gray from the sun after a few years so I just spray painted it black.
i've considered a cover, but i don't see how this would work with an ARB bumper :(. at at least not w/ my XD9000i as the integrated solenoids make it an odd shape.

My favorite winch is the warn 8274. It is infinitely upgradeable. Difficult to package. For those that rarely go offroad, i like to recommend a winch on a reciever. Than it doesnt have to be in the weather in the 99% of time the truck is on the highway.
Too bad receivers are designed and tested for straight pulls, and not side loading. And there is nothing more annoying that trying to dig your winch out of the rear of your rig so you can use it, then dig into the mud/sand/snow to mount it....etc....

I see very people using a winch cover on their rigs, and I always wonder why.

Or, they trap moisture and don't allow it to fully dry. Like leaving your wet swimsuit in a plastic bag and forgetting about it....ew

Or, they trap moisture and don't allow it to fully dry. Like leaving your wet swimsuit in a plastic bag and forgetting about it....ew
Yeah I hear you. I see very little moisture on my trips, and when I do get the winch or even just the line wet I make sure to pull it out and dry it thoroughly. That is a good reminder though, for sure. In my very dry So-Cal location I'm more worried about solar degradation than moisture.
And, I might add, I'd love to hit the trail with you one day. Your level of experience and preparation is surely far beyond mine. Thanks for the tip.

+1

Up here between temp swings & general humidity, it’s just a corrosion greenhouse.

I used to have a chunk of AL plate wing-nutted & studs to the upper 4 holes on a clocked M12K, but it was lost a couple yrs back.

It was just there as a UV helper umbrella, but full airflow.

Pops toasted a ‘brand X‘ -winch doing the corrosion greenhouse cover in < 3yrs on his car hauler trailer/winch on the FR to drag dead rollers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom