Will 2021 LC hold value? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could live like a monk, saving every penny for down the road, and then get hit by a bus the day after you retire. I put hay in the barn, but I have no problem with someone dropping coin on their forever truck. Cars are crappy investments, but so are kids. Talk about a money pit... and I have 4 of them.

there is more to life than money.

You could live like a monk, saving every penny for down the road, and then get hit by a bus the day after you retire. I put hay in the barn, but I have no problem with someone dropping coin on their forever truck. Cars are crappy investments, but so are kids. Talk about a money pit... and I have 4 of them.

there is more to life than money.
This is similar how we look at spending cash on cars or other purchases that have more to offer than just a monetary ROI. There is value in having out all the miles and turning the wrenches yourself, plus my wife is superstitious AF and doesn’t want to own what could be someone else’s bad juju.
Amen on the kid comment, it’s very appropriately timed for me this morning. Was up all night with my 4 year old, I am super cranky and halfway through my 3rd cup of coffee... just tired and mad. Then he goes and does some dumb silly crap and I’m laughing and spitting up coffee... Stockholm syndrome is real... and I’m ok with that.

I’m a former automotive and body shop owner , I have allways bought used cars and sold them , closed my shop and got a job . I have allways sold cars and trucks , made a little extra money .
I mostly bought Toyota’s , thats how I bought my first brand new land cruiser , I was making 3k to 5K just buying used and flipping , I would not buy and junk just clean trucks and cars and thats how I got my first land cruiser .
I kept my 2016 till this year and traded on another new left over 2019 . The 2016 did not devalue as much as I would have expected .
To think about just dumping 90k for a brand new land cruiser is crazy ... Comparison what other automakers are offing junk that you pay 65k for a suburban and in 10 yrs its worth 7999.99 on some used car lot .
Now I just started ordering the parts to make it a real land cruiser ... bumpers , sliders , suspension and all the little extras your 10k + thats a whole nother segment ... That would help your Land cruiser hold. A little more value .
Were going to go into hyperinflation and prices on parts are just going to go threw the roof .
Just my 2cents

I think if people shop a few dealers you can get new at/under $80k- I did in October on a Black HE - it wasn’t too much work. I shopped a few dealers online and then the best local dealer searched around for me to get it from another dealer. Less than 50 miles on it. Maybe less demand out east here? But the folks paying $89k out west are just paying too much.

While I expect some depreciation certainly, for me- I know I won’t be selling soon, so that doesn’t matter much. I like buying new: ceramic coat, wool wax, winter wheel set- then it’s just maintenance and I’ll have known every blip. Keep em clean and use em! This joins 2 other over 150k cars in solid shape.

OP question of retained value though... probably best to get used if you plan (or probability) of selling in a couple years. But if you are going to buy new...put a few hours in online to find a dealer who will give you a good price and then find what you want. Saving $10k at the start helps the bad math a bit at least!

Last edited:
First time poster here, just got my 2021 LC Heritage last month. This thread hits on a lot of what my wife and I went through before purchasing the car. The fact that it could be the final 200 in the US for the foreseeable future was oddly appealing to us psychologically, and the minor visual distinctions really appealed to us. Unlike many here, I wasn't particularly interested in the LC until recently, and in fact we were cross shopping it with a Porsche Macan GTS. At the end of the day, we test drove both and found the LC to feel more special, for intangible reasons that I can't really articulate. I've always been a disciplined person both financially, professionally, etc. but cars are my one outlet that is emotionally driven, and I have to say the LC purchase was a pretty big emotional decision since we didn't need a car this big, this thirsty, or this capable. Absolutely no regrets so far!

Lastly, we also have no plans to sell the car and hope to keep it for at least 8-10 years at about 12-15k miles per year, so the discussion about depreciation and resale wasn't even really in the picture for us. The final decision maker was our ability to purchase it through my business which meant my net price after 179 deduction was ridiculously low.

Glad to be part of this community, I've been lurking for several months and hope to start participating soon!

First time poster here, just got my 2021 LC Heritage last month. This thread hits on a lot of what my wife and I went through before purchasing the car. The fact that it could be the final 200 in the US for the foreseeable future was oddly appealing to us psychologically, and the minor visual distinctions really appealed to us. Unlike many here, I wasn't particularly interested in the LC until recently, and in fact we were cross shopping it with a Porsche Macan GTS. At the end of the day, we test drove both and found the LC to feel more special, for intangible reasons that I can't really articulate. I've always been a disciplined person both financially, professionally, etc. but cars are my one outlet that is emotionally driven, and I have to say the LC purchase was a pretty big emotional decision since we didn't need a car this big, this thirsty, or this capable. Absolutely no regrets so far!

Lastly, we also have no plans to sell the car and hope to keep it for at least 8-10 years at about 12-15k miles per year, so the discussion about depreciation and resale wasn't even really in the picture for us. The final decision maker was our ability to purchase it through my business which meant my net price after 179 deduction was ridiculously low.

Glad to be part of this community, I've been lurking for several months and hope to start participating soon!

Welcome to mud! I think you made a great decision!

Look at 93-96 ford Broncos. A well maintained example of a 93 bronco is worth just as much as a 96. The 96 had a few updates but generally speaking they are equal. 15 years down the road it won’t matter if you have a 2021 or a 2016 LC.

Assuming there isn’t a risk of a Porsche-esque ims bearing explosion

200s aren't 993 Porsches, not for a very very very long long time.

And despite being the last of the air cooled, the 993s didn’t start the upward trend until around 10 years ago. Something I still kick myself about. I think they were a bit too modern for the 911 purist, but have now enjoyed they ever-rising tide of the longhoods, G-bodies (oh, the humanity!), and 964s. And add to this the 993 may be a better daily driver and one whose safety features make it a car that a guy can more easily convince the wife to greenlight if she and/or the kids are to climb in.

Get a LOT of Fluid Film if you drive that thing in the winter Scott.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. Buying anything new is not an investment. Its a depreciating asset. If you invested 90k in a Vanguard total stock market index fund in ten years you'd probably almost double your money. It was really hard for me to pull the trigger on our 21 Heritage that we bought last month. I havent purchased anything new in almost 20 years. As a matter of fact, I havent purchased anything over 20k in almost 20 years! I actually cancelled the purchase agreement after sending the check. I just couldnt justify spending 80 or 90k on anything let alone a Land Cruiser. We looked for several months for a used 16 an newer but just couldnt find one. We missed out on 2 used trucks locally that sold as soon as they hit the market. We looked at a used 2020 Heritage edition in Santa Fe with only 1800 miles but the dealer wanted 86k for it! I told them no way but they already had it sold for that! Then American Toyota got in a silver 2021 Heritage that we looked at and liked but they wanted 15k over MSRP! I tried offering sticker but they turned us down. They sold it a week later. So someone probably paid over sticker for it. After some time debating and about just giving up we decided to go ahead and purchase our white Heritage. The dealer was also asking 6k over sticker but was able to negotiate 88k out the door.

I really cannot justify the purchase other than we are in our mid 50s, are financially set, and wanted something cool to tow our Casita trailer! Its a forever truck for us and hope it will last a good long time. I also figured that if we decided in a couple of years that it isnt the truck of our dreams then being a last year Heritage with low miles would still command a decent amount of money. So far we are loving our new Heritage! We've already taken it on some really awesome trips. Purchasing a new 200 isnt for the faint of heart. It really doesnt make much financial sense. But they are a special kind of vehicle that are very limited here in the US. I often wonder what the wealth is of the average new 200 buyer.

First, I’ll say congratulations on the new purchase. Second, I’ll say as someone that seems to sit in a similar situation, never buys new, and understands that the purchase doesn’t make much financial sense, I find it easier once I make the deal to let it go. It’s done, don’t agonize; enjoy the ride.
As others have iterated here, the upside of your purchase is undeniable. Last of the 200, an HE, and so on. Add to this new vehicle warranty coverage, consumable parts at the beginning of life, the new car smell and other unquantifiables, I think you are in good shape. Taking a number of factors into consideration, the cost of ownership delta between buying used v. new diminishes considerably upon resale...the resale value on these will only increase and yours will be at the tip of the wave.

There was a time when buying a house was an investment. Then 08/09 happened. One could argue, depending on where you live in the country, housing may still not be a great investment considering interest paid, taxes, repairs etc.. you have to live somewhere but what do you really need?
I grew up in a 1,000 sq ft house with my 3 brothers and it was awesome. I have been fortunate to live in a nicer home now. Both have created memories and Value.

VALUE doesn’t have to be measured in terms of money or appreciation. Value can be the joy and memories you create by the things you do and have. We came into this world with nothing and we are going out with nothing.

Buy responsibly the vehicle or whatever it is that can bring you joy, memories and lots of fun. My new cruiser is going to take me and my wife to places I have never been and create memories that will last a lifetime. That is certainly worth a little depreciation .

LIVE IT UP!
Girlfriend and I sold our big family homes, she made bank because her area is swamped with people fleeing Chicago. I made meh. We are significantly downsizing, but gutting a little brick ranch and making it our dream home, with high-quality everything.

That is what I've wanted and gotten with every used Land Cruiser: high-quality, high value, dream vehicle. I still enjoy getting in my
'03, rattles and all, still love it. And I know I'll love a 2016. Will I love a 2021 more? Probably.

First, I’ll say congratulations on the new purchase. Second, I’ll say as someone that seems to sit in a similar situation, never buys new, and understands that the purchase doesn’t make much financial sense, I find it easier once I make the deal to let it go. It’s done, don’t agonize; enjoy the ride.
As others have iterated here, the upside of your purchase is undeniable. Last of the 200, an HE, and so on. Add to this new vehicle warranty coverage, consumable parts at the beginning of life, the new car smell and other unquantifiables, I think you are in good shape. Taking a number of factors into consideration, the cost of ownership delta between buying used v. new diminishes considerably upon resale...the resale value on these will only increase and yours will be at the tip of the wave.
I'm wondering if all LC will start to appreciate with the end of U.S. sales? Seems likely. Will @sleeoffroad, ARB, and other suppliers reduce LC support as the high-dollar customers with newer LC diminish?

And despite being the last of the air cooled, the 993s didn’t start the upward trend until around 10 years ago. Something I still kick myself about. I think they were a bit too modern for the 911 purist, but have now enjoyed they ever-rising tide of the longhoods, G-bodies (oh, the humanity!), and 964s. And add to this the 993 may be a better daily driver and one whose safety features make it a car that a guy can more easily convince the wife to greenlight if she and/or the kids are to climb in.

All very true. I got my 993 right before the boom hit. The 71 is more of a challenge to drive too, but that thing is FAR from stock. Counter point to the above, the wife loves the 71 more than the 96.

IMG_1995.jpg

All very true. I got my 993 right before the boom hit. The 71 is more of a challenge to drive too, but that thing is FAR from stock. Counter point to the above, the wife loves the 71 more than the 96.

View attachment 2522435

You have a good wife. My wife enjoys mine, but has a little trepidation when my 6 yo wants to join for spirited drives. Guessing your 71 has some engine mods or has the 2.2 been replaced altogether?

You have a good wife. My wife enjoys mine, but has a little trepidation when my 6 yo wants to join for spirited drives. Guessing your 71 has some engine mods or has the 2.2 been replaced altogether?

Replaced with a 3 liter MFI unit.

My apologies for the thread hijack.

One of the websites I like to troll :cool: is bringatrailer.com. Only recently have they allowed Landcruiser's to list on that site. From what I've seen there the Land Cruiser has better value then it's competitors in the awd suv market.

It's amazing how a forum can be so resourceful not only about vehicles but financial advice. Im a long time lurker of the 200 section, I own a 95 FZJ80 with the K294 option. Before I bought my 80 for $13,000 cash I really wanted a brand new 200 and was saving for half a year for one. Then I began to think about my future and buying a house and my 1 year old son. I'm a UPS Driver and as the year closes down I was fortunate to make $70,000 this year. March 2021 I get my final raise to $39.00 an hour, I consider myself very fortunate to have a great job that I can retire at. Anyways I'll be 26 and I don't own a home yet but something told me to not buy a 200 and instead get something I can afford cash to scratch my itch and save up for a home. Thats what I did. I felt I made the right decision, and maybe one day I'll be able to buy a very clean used 200 series. Meanwhile I'm restoring my 80 not to pristine condition but a good driver quality restoration. Reading this thread made me feel good about the decision I made. Im still young and very much on the fence about purchasing a home in Illinois, but as a father its my responsibility to provide a home for my son as well as my 80 series. The best of both worlds one might say.

Land cruisers are one of the vehicles that you never really have to sell unless rust has made its way through the vehicle. If money is set aside for repairs then it can be maintained infinitely. If the engine blows, have another installed, if the power window stops working have it repaired. All the repairs on a older cruiser will be more often than a new land cruiser will need repairs, but likely far less expensive than car payments on a newer or new 200 series.

Land cruisers are one of the vehicles that you never really have to sell unless rust has made its way through the vehicle. If money is set aside for repairs then it can be maintained infinitely. If the engine blows, have another installed, if the power window stops working have it repaired. All the repairs on a older cruiser will be more often than a new land cruiser will need repairs, but likely far less expensive than car payments on a newer or new 200 series.

@Onur how do you think long term parts availability will be for the 200? Seems like many more were made than respective 80 and 100 series. What does parts availability look like in 30 years?

Last edited:
I'm still amazed about what is still available for my 95 through Toyota. If this were a 95 Bronco about the only thing you could buy from Ford is an FL1A!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom