Will 2021 LC hold value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Onur how do you think long term parts availability will be for the 200? Seems like many more were made than respective 80 and 100 series. What does parts availability look like in 30 years?
I think less 200’s were made vs 100’s and 80’s. The fact that the 200 shares many parts with the tundra is very good news for 200 part availability. Good news is the only thing that will kill a 200 is rust, a wreck, or 200 dollar a barrel oil. Your grand kids could be driving it.

I think less 200’s were made vs 100’s and 80’s. The fact that the 200 shares many parts with the tundra is very good news for 200 part availability. Good news is the only thing that will kill a 200 is rust, a wreck, or 200 dollar a barrel oil. Your grand kids could be driving it.
Someone in another thread pointed out that vastly more 200s were made for the world market, so toyota should be making parts for a good long while.

First off I hope everyone staying safe sending my best happy holidays and a happy and healthy prosperous new year. We all hope the 2021 is much better than 2020.

Just a quickly chime in here.

I agree with everyone that a car is not an investment and it is certainly a depreciating asset. However a big however the Land Cruiser is a little bit different especially especially in a year Toyota is announcing they will no longer be bringing the Land Cruiser to the United States.

That Porsche 993 was an absolute beauty in that picture. And while the 9/11 changed to Water called from Air called they still make 911’s.

Imagine for a moment and we don’t know what the future holds but imagine for a moment that you can never buy a brand new Land Cruiser in America again. Forget used but brand new. Now go out a few years and look back on the 2021. If you happen to own the last model year of one of the most iconic and cherished vehicles In the world, I’d say you have a very special unicorn of a car.
It’s hard to speculate but I would imagine when the official announcement does come and it sets in that land cruisers are discontinued the values will increase significantly in the US market.

We all talk about holding our cars are driving the heck out of them which I intend to do so resale value for me is not as important because I truly intend to keep it for 15 years. However it is need to know that at any time if I wanted to sell I would get top dollar.

It’s hard to speculate but I would imagine when the official announcement that’s calm and it sets in that land cruisers are discontinued the values will increase significantly in the US market.

Oopps sorry my iPhone hit the send button too soon.

I wanted to finish with the fact that if indeed the 2021 model year as the last Land Cruiser available in the United States we all own something very special. Of course the other model years are just as desirable and in 10 or 15 years it won’t matter if it’s a 2017 2019 or 2021. The only thing that matters will be that it’s a Land Cruiser.

If I was shopping for a vehicle which I was several months ago. I would go out of my way to buy a new Land Cruiser. We all know it’s about $85,000 all in with tax depending on where we live.

I am working on a video where I talk about all of the competitors and how 85 grand nowadays which is crazy and scary is just not a lot of money when you’re talking about a full-size SUV.

But I will leave that for another day.

Again wishing everyone happy holidays merry Christmas happy new year be safe and stay healthy. And thanks for this great for him I’m so thrilled to be a part of it. It’s an incredible community

@Onur how do you think long term parts availability will be for the 200? Seems like many more were made than respective 80 and 100 series. What does parts availability look like in 30 years?
Well, i can still buy parts for my FJ60, often at the dealer. Toyota is a very conservative company that tends to stick with what works, so their parts availability is solid for a long time.

If you look at the 80 series, a good, clean, low mileage 80 series is just now getting to be worth more than the original purchase price. That would have been an exceedingly poor investment, considering that a rate of return of 10% would have more than tripled your money in 23 years since 1997. ($40k at 10% ROR for 23 years ends up being just over $358k). However, if you wanted a car that you could own for 23 years, and get more than scrap value for it, the Land Cruiser isn't a bad value.

I chimed in last Friday and have been following this thread. Wanted to add a bit more since it has been addressed so much in this thread. We would have never dreamed of spending this much on anything other than education 10-15 -20 years ago. I am 50 and my wife is 45. We have saved and put ourselves in a position where making a purchase like this was financially OK. We aren’t sacrificing college savings, or retirement savings, or any other savings for this car. There was some emotion involved because I am LC Homer. I might add we test drove many cars including the Highlander, and the Sequoia. The smile on my wife’s face when she drove the 200 was priceless. As soon as a I saw that smile I knew I was buying her one.
Then I went about it sensibly as described in post #3. I’ll worry about the value ( not really) and parts availability when the time comes.

If you look at the 80 series, a good, clean, low mileage 80 series is just now getting to be worth more than the original purchase price. That would have been an exceedingly poor investment, considering that a rate of return of 10% would have more than tripled your money in 23 years since 1997. ($40k at 10% ROR for 23 years ends up being just over $358k). However, if you wanted a car that you could own for 23 years, and get more than scrap value for it, the Land Cruiser isn't a bad value.
You are correct. My 1998 100 sure seemed like a lot of money when i bought it new. I paid $17k for my 60 in 1987 and $55k for the 100, which at the time seemed like a big jump. After 22 years and 430k miles it still drives great and cost me very little in repairs.

I dont know about new Land Cruisers but I have a history of them being very good investments. I am on my 3rd right now. I had a 80 series that I bought for $4200 at 150K and sold it for $3800 at 225K. That same 80 series is probably worth more now. I bought a 100 series with 100k miles for $14000 and drove it for 70k miles and it was totaled and insurance paid me $10,500. I stepped up this time and bought a 16' LX for $62,000. Im sure I will lose more money on this one but not near as much as I would buying any other vehicle. At the end of the day we all need a vehicle, I need one to tow, offroad, ext. So when I looked at buying a vehicle I didn't feel bad spending a bunch of money on an LC/LX because I know they do what I need them to and won't cost much in repairs and I will be able to sell it in the future for a good amount. As far a a vehicle goes, you cant do much better than these trucks.

See from about 6:30 on. Seems pretty high on the vehicle and it holding its value.

Last edited:
Coming back from training in Dallas, the dealer in Grand Rapids called and has it on the lot. I legally have to be out of my house Friday noon, buyer has moving trucks scheduled at that time. So I'll be a bit busy and not making this happen in the next couple days.

I can swing $89,000, girlfriend and I both sold big houses and bought a smaller one, we both make more than we deserve. I feel like a used LC is particularly safe, as they are hard to kill in ordinary use if not neglected. Sounds like I can get a new one for less than $89k though, from @Eric Sarjeant who is not that far away from my commute to O'Hare.

I see a 2017 with 71k asking $58k, one owner, carfax shows all the oil changes at the original dealer. Trim is blacked with plasti-dip and peeling, I like it. That is a helluva lot less money for something I'll be quite happy with.

Last edited:
Don't forget to plug the vin into the toyota website for dealer maint.

I dont know about new Land Cruisers but I have a history of them being very good investments. I am on my 3rd right now. I had a 80 series that I bought for $4200 at 150K and sold it for $3800 at 225K. That same 80 series is probably worth more now. I bought a 100 series with 100k miles for $14000 and drove it for 70k miles and it was totaled and insurance paid me $10,500. I stepped up this time and bought a 16' LX for $62,000. Im sure I will lose more money on this one but not near as much as I would buying any other vehicle. At the end of the day we all need a vehicle, I need one to tow, offroad, ext. So when I looked at buying a vehicle I didn't feel bad spending a bunch of money on an LC/LX because I know they do what I need them to and won't cost much in repairs and I will be able to sell it in the future for a good amount. As far a a vehicle goes, you cant do much better than these trucks.

If you're going to make money on Land Cruisers, or just about any "Enthusiast" Car, the place to buy is the bottom of the depreciation curve as you've found out. There's a sweet spot between the downward depreciation curve of a new car, and where it starts to pick up due to the supply of good clean units getting tighter than demand as something becomes a desirable "collector" or "enthusiast" car. It's a good bet that 200 series cruisers will follow this same curve. The bottom may be higher and sooner due to the end of the 200 series and relatively limited numbers of units built, but it will still take a long time for a truck's value to exceed the new original purchase price. Right now prices for 200 series in the Land Cruiser variety seem to have bottomed out around $20k, and I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom stays around there with the exception of units with severe damage, or extremely high miles (I mean 300k plus miles, 200k mile trucks are ~$20k+ right now).

One other potential complicating factor is the reported news that toyota is considering eventually bringing the name plate back to the US on a smaller/lighter platform. (I could be messing up the details but that's how I remember it.) If they release something that is more attainable new, that could undercut the buyer pool for used 200s.

One other potential complicating factor is the reported news that toyota is considering eventually bringing the name plate back to the US on a smaller/lighter platform. (I could be messing up the details but that's how I remember it.) If they release something that is more attainable new, that could undercut the buyer pool for used 200s.
The 200 is expensive because of how it is built. Anything they offer in the future that is smaller or lighter will have requisite sacrifices versus the 200. Plus they already make many offerings that are more attainable (as well as smaller and lighter), but the LC nameplate still holds its value far better than any of them because of the overbuilt, bulletproof reliability. The only way they could really do this is to bring in a less luxurious version with cloth seats, no carpet, no rear A/C, etc.; which sounds kinda cool, but you can only strip out about $10,000 worth of amenities and still retain the top tier chassis, suspension, engine and 4WD tech. Then the used 200 will likely still be an attractive alternative for many.

The 200 is expensive because of how it is built. Anything they offer in the future that is smaller or lighter will have requisite sacrifices versus the 200. Plus they already make many offerings that are more attainable (as well as smaller and lighter), but the LC nameplate still holds its value far better than any of them because of the overbuilt, bulletproof reliability.
I agree completely. People educated on what “Landcruiser” means to toyota know these things, but many others don’t. Add that to the possibility of getting something brand new that has the name but is priced the same as a used 200, especially if it has some more modern bells & whistles, and on the broad scale of the market it can end up being a factor in 200 pricing. Not saying it’ll totally transform things, but it could end up being a factor.

Just add couple stats from my own experience.
I had 2016 LC which I have traded in for 2020 after having it for 3 yrs and 11month. The switch cost (depreciation) was $20K. Due to covid I didn't have a chance to drive much (4K in 9 months) and decided the sell my 2020. Lost $1000. The used market is a little crazy / overpriced now so going new may be way to go especially if you know how to negotiate new well.. Why I think the market is crazy. Sold as well my wife's 9 months old 2020 4Runner and bought a GX460. Lost $500 in trade value while still getting the GX $2K below invoice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom