Will 2021 LC hold value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
Buying a new LC seems like a really bad idea. When I look at them used, they are losing about $10k/yr in value for the first 5+ years. I would of course be buying for the long-haul, several previous LC went over 250k, but things change. Lots of reasons why I might have to sell long before I want to. I would not want in five years to be financially challenged, and selling my well-maintained LC, knowing I lost $50k on top of all the extra maintenance.

I have money down on a 2021, should arrive soon, refundable. I'm really thinking buy a 2016 would be wiser and more responsible. I also have money down on a Cybertruck, also refundable, but gonna be a while, and my 100 is starting to worry me.

I would not enjoy a 2021 any more than a 2016. Even if I keep a 2021 15 years, it will still cost me more than buying a 5-yr-old LC and keeping it ten years, then buying another expensive something.

But, the 2021 might hold value better than any LC has in a while. Maybe. Few of us seem to buy new, for obvious financial reasons. An 80-series did and a Tundra does hold value, but the LC is just hemorrhaging money when driven off the lot. Hard to find enjoyment in that.

Honestly, it may be a vehicle that isn’t right for you financially. Yes, like any car, it will depeeciate by an unknown amount. Purchase price is quite high. In my state, the cost of sales tax on a new LC alone would buy you a solid 100 series. You may want to consider stepping down to a 2015 or 16 LC that has already had a big chunk of the depreciation taken out. Great vehicle that will still last you decades.

If they discontinue the 200 series then the 2021 will hold value.
As far as buying used. Responsible depends on your personal financial situation. I bought my wife a 2019 in December of 2019. It had 8500 miles on it and was 14k-19k below 2020 MSRP. I feel like I found a sweet spot with it. I told her I wouldn’t buy new and she told me to find one under 10k miles. Still has alot of warrranty. And were getting the last free oil change tomorrow. I used Autolist.com and watched them for about 6 months. Prices were alll over the place but it didn’t take me long to figure out what a good price point was.

Very few vehicles are considered investments. I don't see a newer 200 as one of them. Nearly every vehicle depreciates most rapidly in the first few years of ownership. It should not under any circumstance be considered an investment.

That being said, I think your sentence above "I would not enjoy a 2021 any more than a 2016," should answer your question as someone else has already paid the depreciation.

Related to your question:

There are enough changes in the late 2018 (July and later) and newer models that I would suggest having that be your lower year limit instead of 2016.

Depreciable assets aren’t investments. Buying used is always better than buying new. I’ve bought new before, and having done that I’m likely to spend the time and find a near perfect used rather than lose tens of thousands immediately after signing the papers. Don’t think you have much to worry buying a LC though, someone will always want it, but if you don’t want to lose a bunch off the rip simply by driving inches off the lot, get the 2016. Let someone else eat the depreciation

Related to your question:

There are enough changes in the late 2018 (July and later) and newer models that I would suggest having that be your lower year limit instead of 2016.
Mind listing the changes?

200s aren't 993 Porsches, not for a very very very long long time.

I think going the 2016 route is smart. I bought my 2016 used and it is still worth what I paid for it. Same goes for my 2008 when I had it. Bought it when it was 9 years old and got back basically what I paid for it.

Mind listing the changes?

The ones off the top of my head are:
  • KDSS valves switch from small hex/allen-head bolts to large actual bolts. (Early 2018)
  • Radiator upgraded from old crack-prone design to new sloped design. (July 2018)
  • Touch screen switched from resistive to capacitive (generally this makes for better feedback and screen visibility, but I haven't personally compared the two in the LC). (July 2018)
  • I believe 2018 was the same year they changed to the cooler-looking (in my opinion) key fob.
  • I also think it was the same year that some other things brought over from the LX, like power liftgate? (Or was that in 2016?) And auto-side mirrors? I might be remembering this one wrong.
There might be other changes, too.

One negative of the late-2018 is that the fuel pump recall applies to it, but that's free replacement from the dealer, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If OP finds a great deal on a 2016, I wouldn't avoid it, it's still a great vehicle. The KDSS bolts by themselves were enough for me to specifically look for a 2018. I figured that meant there were likely other updates / refinements that year as well.

But, the 2021 might hold value better than any LC has in a while.

A 2021 LC will never hold enough value difference (over a 2016) to cover the gap in retail price between the 2021 and 2016 today.

Buy used.

The ones off the top of my head are:
  • KDSS valves switch from small hex/allen-head bolts to large actual bolts. (Early 2018)
  • Radiator upgraded from old crack-prone design to new sloped design. (July 2018)
  • Touch screen switched from resistive to capacitive (generally this makes for better feedback and screen visibility, but I haven't personally compared the two in the LC). (July 2018)
  • I believe 2018 was the same year they changed to the cooler-looking (in my opinion) key fob.
  • I also think it was the same year that some other things brought over from the LX, like power liftgate? (Or was that in 2016?) And auto-side mirrors? I might be remembering this one wrong.
There might be other changes, too.

One negative of the late-2018 is that the fuel pump recall applies to it, but that's free replacement from the dealer, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If OP finds a great deal on a 2016, I wouldn't avoid it, it's still a great vehicle. The KDSS bolts by themselves were enough for me to specifically look for a 2018. I figured that meant there were likely other updates / refinements that year as well.
Thanks for the list. I wasn’t aware of the touchscreen difference.
About those KDSS screws, I wouldn’t be sure it is an upgrade. Taco2cruiser is reporting some are corroding badly. Either one should be fine with the correct preventive corrosion coating, if it was done early enough that is.

Sometimes these cars sit on dealer lots for a long time. If you can do what I did and get one that's never been titled, i.e. a "leftover", you can get the car sold "as new" in that Toyota will offer the same perks as if it were actually new. In other words you get the car at a used car price but with all the new-car Toyota incentives, warranties and perks.

Vehicles are usually the fastest depreciating asset you can own . Land Cruisers always just depreciated at a slower rate . I bought my second left over 2019 in February , I was looking in PA / NJ / NY and that time just after Christmas , truck sales were slow , I wanted the base model , there was lots of base and heritage models .
At that point this area no one want the heritage because no back seats , dealers were taking 10k off 2020 .
I paid 78k for a new left over base .
I see my land cruiser investment in dependability not a financial , you would do better investing the cash

Didn't the transmissions in the 2018+ already come with the updated software to prevent some hard shifting in the lower gears?

From a CPA’s perspective, taking the 20k you lose instantaneously and putting it into a low risk investment, like a high interest savings account, you could buy a second LC in no time. Now if you got some real balls and invest in something with a higher ROI with some risk, possibilities are endless. Whether you got plenty of cash coming down the pipeline or not, depreciation is the same as burning it. Run it through a business if you buy new, that’s where it’s at

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. Buying anything new is not an investment. Its a depreciating asset. If you invested 90k in a Vanguard total stock market index fund in ten years you'd probably almost double your money. It was really hard for me to pull the trigger on our 21 Heritage that we bought last month. I havent purchased anything new in almost 20 years. As a matter of fact, I havent purchased anything over 20k in almost 20 years! I actually cancelled the purchase agreement after sending the check. I just couldnt justify spending 80 or 90k on anything let alone a Land Cruiser. We looked for several months for a used 16 an newer but just couldnt find one. We missed out on 2 used trucks locally that sold as soon as they hit the market. We looked at a used 2020 Heritage edition in Santa Fe with only 1800 miles but the dealer wanted 86k for it! I told them no way but they already had it sold for that! Then American Toyota got in a silver 2021 Heritage that we looked at and liked but they wanted 15k over MSRP! I tried offering sticker but they turned us down. They sold it a week later. So someone probably paid over sticker for it. After some time debating and about just giving up we decided to go ahead and purchase our white Heritage. The dealer was also asking 6k over sticker but was able to negotiate 88k out the door.

I really cannot justify the purchase other than we are in our mid 50s, are financially set, and wanted something cool to tow our Casita trailer! Its a forever truck for us and hope it will last a good long time. I also figured that if we decided in a couple of years that it isnt the truck of our dreams then being a last year Heritage with low miles would still command a decent amount of money. So far we are loving our new Heritage! We've already taken it on some really awesome trips. Purchasing a new 200 isnt for the faint of heart. It really doesnt make much financial sense. But they are a special kind of vehicle that are very limited here in the US. I often wonder what the wealth is of the average new 200 buyer.

All new vehicles value drop as soon as you drive it off the lot. I have never purchased a new vehicle just because of that fact. That being said I understand the LC 200 is about to get shelved here in the US so there is some FOMO going around the LC lovers. That fear might just make some people make stupid financial decisions possibly dumping them in a year or two. Perhaps if you never drive it and park it in a garage for the next 25 years and baby the hell out of it, no more than 5 miles a week, you would probably make money on it even with inflation. All DD vehicles are an expense. Ya don't get back what you pay for it. But that new car smell is a special kind of blissful money burning scent that does have very sweet aroma.

I'm starting to hear that the newer version of the KDSS bolts are worse to loosen when stuck than the old ones.

Sometimes these cars sit on dealer lots for a long time. If you can do what I did and get one that's never been titled, i.e. a "leftover", you can get the car sold "as new" in that Toyota will offer the same perks as if it were actually new. In other words you get the car at a used car price but with all the new-car Toyota incentives, warranties and perks.

WIth the discontinuation, I highly doubt there will be a lot of "leftover" Land Cruisers, and if you do find one, the dealer won't have as much of an incentive to discount it, as they won't be getting a replacement newer year model...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom