Why are OEM tires so bad? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a different take on OEM tires.

They are often cheater tires. On high end models, it's highly likely they are tailored and tweaked to the exact qualities that the OEM developer wants for their design goals and benchmark metrics. None of which is the definition of a cheap tire just to roll off the production line with.

If there a place to cheap out on, it's not where the rubber meets the road as the single most critical component in the chain. As mentioned elsewhere, they are often differing compounds and construction to the retail version of the tire. They might also be shaved with thinner tread depths. To get that extra bit of traction, braking, cornering, decreased rolling resistance, etc. that reviewers benchmark vehicles with.

That they don't shine in enthusiasts metrics is not what they care about. We're also willing to give up a lot as enthusiasts.

I'm glad that Toyota is turning into their enthusiasts market though. Falken Wildpeaks were ridiculed early on from naysayers and they've shown up on everything from G-Wagons, Porsches, Jeeps, etc. Great to hear the Toyo ATIIIs are factory fitment as well. Both solid ATs that serve that function well, while still having great core attributes.

Last edited:
Did I say they were a bad thing? Nope. But they drive automaker choices.
No, but you implied corporate profits are the boogeyman. Are you saying a boogeyman is a good thing???

But of course profits drive automaker decisions. What else would? They are a business, their job is to make a profit.

Regardless, I can think of much better words than "boogeyman" to describe the EPA. How about "a cesspool of brainwashed environmentalist whackos mixed with corrupted bureaucrats, neither of which do a bit of good for the environment or the people"?

No, but you implied corporate profits are the boogeyman. Are you saying a boogeyman is a good thing???

But of course profits drive automaker decisions. What else would? They are a business, their job is to make a profit.

Regardless, I can think of much better words than "boogeyman" to describe the EPA. How about "a cesspool of brainwashed environmentalist whackos mixed with corrupted bureaucrats, neither of which do a bit of good for the environment or the people"?

When businesses are so hyper focused on profit for the sake of profit, that's their death knell. When they are focused on delivering value to their customers, that delivers profits, is the recipe for sustainability. Boeing has been visited by the boogeyman and are headed down the dangerous path of corporate greed, forgetting how to be a successful business.

If you've ever lived in a large city in the US and because they've done a good job, it might be easy to forget why organizations like the EPA are important. Go to any major city in a developing nation and you'll be reminded.

Bringing this back to Toyota, their focus on quality, reliability, and core values of what makes a good vehicle is what's keeping them at the top of their game. It's easy to lose that focus, especially as enthusiasts chasing the new shininess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom