Wholesale Automatics A442F valve body. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Buy one. It's not cheap. If you are cheap stop reading now and go see what's up in chat. :lol:

I just fitted my Wholesale Automatics Nomad valve body for the A442F. I got it through Cruiser Brothers/Valley hybrids. Georg looked after ordering and shipping it to me. FULL DISCLOSURE, I paid for it and I haven't been kicked-back. Georg could buy me a beer next time we meet however:lol:.

This thing ROCKS. I have had a 2-3 shift flare (that has gotten progressively more pronounced through the years) since the truck was new and I learned to live with it. Also the kickdown has always been unpredictable. The new valve body corrected both of those issues while providing what can best be characterized as "clean" shifts across the board in both regular and power modes. No flare, no slip, not harsh or abrupt like a shift kit. Just competent. I love it.

I wish I had done this years ago when I first talked about it with Rodney from Wholesale Automatics.

Two of us did the install and I did not take many photos as I was busy cleaning parts and holding things in place while Steven slid the body into position. His hands were a blur....:grinpimp:
WAT valve body.jpg

The Australian instructions were brief, very brief and left a lot to an American's imagination. Fortunately I had my factory service manual handy and a Toyota Master Tech that likes a challenge. He put up with my "help" quite well.

Georg will draft additional instructions that are better suited to this market so future installations with be much more friendly.

There is an old saying that goes something like "This thing has more parts than an automatic transmission". I'm not sure that's possible. :rofl:

I know the answer already... if you got to ask you can't afford it, but...……...:worms:what was the total cost for the install and body?

The valve body runs $1,295.00 plus the core charge and shipping. I got a BRO deal at the dealership because I am a retired employee. The Alldata flat rate is 3.3 hours. I paid 300 bucks for that. I was lucky that I was not charged additionally for helping. :lol:

In addition it took 12 quarts of ATF and I bought an o-ring for the dipstick tube and a pan drain plug gasket.

I'm in it about 1,700 bucks by the time I pay to ship the core back. I've owned the truck for 26 years and this is the first money I have spent on the transmission.

EDIT: I see from your sig line you have a 96. That has an A343 so this is not apples-to-apples but they do have valve bodies for that application as well.

When you say shift flare between 2-3, do you mean it takes a little longer to shift with a slight rise in RPMs during the in between gears?

Mileage improvement?

Mileage improvement?
I have a friend in Houston who installed this same valve body in his A442f about 6 months ago. He has raved about everything Dan said plus gained a few MPG.

Dan, does that valve body affect the 1-2 upshift in LO - as I'm learning to drive the '93, that is the issue I find very difficult to get used to...

When you say shift flare between 2-3, do you mean it takes a little longer to shift with a slight rise in RPMs during the in between gears?

Basically yes. A bump or flair in rpm and a delay in the shift.

Dan, does that valve body affect the 1-2 upshift in LO - as I'm learning to drive the '93, that is the issue I find very difficult to get used to...
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you refer to the transmission holding first for a long time in low range and then shifting abruptly into second that is normal with a 442. Since I'm only a day into this I have not yet tried low range to see what changed there.

My solution for this is to use second gear start in low and then manually shift down to first if needed. Much smother

My solution for this is to use second gear start in low and then manually shift down to first if needed. Much smother

That is not an option with the A442F. There is no 2nd gear start.

That is not an option with the A442F. There is no 2nd gear start.

I'm pretty sure if you put the shifter in "2", it starts in 2nd and stays there. This is for the electronically controlled version, I can't say for the fully hydraulic version.

I'm pretty sure if you put the shifter in "2", it starts in 2nd and stays there. This is for the electronically controlled version, I can't say for the fully hydraulic version.

Not mine. It starts in 1st and then shifts into 2nd. It has been that way from day-1. Diesels could be different however. I have not operated one with a 442.

Dan: thanks for the reporting on this.

Nice to see a thread started
by cdan... just like old days.... As for my a442f, I like my big,dumb, sloppy shifting bulletproof unit just the way it is:p

Obviously this is better or more comprehensive than the TransGo kit.
But how is it different?
$1,600’s in difference?
Have you driven both?

I’ve got the TransGo kit & will be installing it within the next week or two. Mine is a ‘96, but not sure if that makes a difference comparing the 2 different kits.

Dan is correct. A442F will always start off in first, I’ve owned both. 93-94’s don’t have the 2nd start button. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom